Buying international property

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've been giving this some thought into a 5-10 year plan and was thinking Australian real estate seems grossly overvalued. I'm looking at some international options and currently,

The US Dollar is 0.76, 5 year high is .91
Euro is .61, and 5 year high of 0.75
Could this be a good opportunity to purchase international real estate and get greater returns long term?

I've been giving this some thought into a 5-10 year plan and was thinking Australian real estate seems grossly overvalued. I'm looking at some international options and currently,

The US Dollar is 0.76, 5 year high is .91
Euro is .61, and 5 year high of 0.75
Could this be a good opportunity to purchase international real estate and get greater returns long term?
Make sure you get the best legal advice on this.
Honduras legals take your money 3 times for some unknown reason before actually doing anything thats binding.Its a crazy mixed up world when your buy OS.
Even NZ is fraught with danger for the property investor.

Most americans who buy overseas generally end up in an enclave as it seems protective both for living and investment.

Make sure you get the best legal advice on this.
Honduras legals take your money 3 times for some unknown reason before actually doing anything thats binding.Its a crazy mixed up world when your buy OS.
Even NZ is fraught with danger for the property investor.

Most americans who buy overseas generally end up in an enclave as it seems protective both for living and investment.
I’ve only had extremely positive experiences buying in the US

I'd be interested to see what countries in South America have the best expat friendly real estate legislation. Would love to eventually do something like that.
I'd be interested to see what countries in South America have the best expat friendly real estate legislation. Would love to eventually do something like that.
You can buy property on Honduran islands that are dirt cheap 100 k for on the beach with 3 bedrooms .
But the legal system sucks you dry (even the legit ones)
Buying illegally is easier and you get to enjoy life without complications.
My friend has a bar/cafe on Utila and nobody gives a shit that he owns it.
But try to get legal papers and the parasites suck you dry.
Central America seems the best and cheapest place to live and probably the safest.

For the avoidance of doubt, noting your comments on exchange rates, to gain in AUD terms you want the AUD to depreciate against the currency where you've bought, not get stronger.

Eg if you bought in the US and the AUD tanked after that you'd kick ass in AUD terms.

So if you're trying to gain in the exchange rate, you want to buy when the AUD is strong against the currency of the purchase.

Remove this Banner Ad

Buying international property

Remove this Banner Ad

Back