Bye planning

Remove this Banner Ad

So with your structure, or 6/10/14 for example, what would your system be to get the best results???
My approach has been to structure in a way that eliminates (or at least minimises) my sideways premium trades required.
Hence, planning my upgrades in a way that brings in premiums that I can cover with bench rookies during their bye.
As the bye rounds progress, you have more and more freedom to bring in players so it gets easier, as long as you aren't front loaded with premiums from the early rounds - nothing worse than having to trade them out and then back in again!

Sounds simple but it's taken a spreadsheet to plan things effectively. Also need to be flexible enough to cope with the realities of fantasy footy (upgrading underperformers, dealing with injuries, jumping on the best rookies).

Round 12, my M1 to M4 missing,
no Mitchell, Macrae or Curnow or Gaff.
Captain in round 12 will be exciting.
Port v Richmond on Friday night
(Rockliff maybe, Martin if he feels like a big Friday night)
Laird v Freo
Gawn v Grundy on the public holiday Monday clash. (Both could burn like Gawn v Martin, but most likely both score ok, who could wait til 15:20AEST for captain score though.

What's the general consensus on how much cash you should try and have when it comes to the bye rounds? I literally have no idea whether I should be trying to squirrel away some coin and get a bit of a bank behind me or whether I just plug away like usual - I try not to have too much cash on hand as I see it as a waste of points on your field generally

With 3 trades these days I don't worry too much about cash - as long as I have fattened rookies to cull.

As Beau_Waters for PM said, try to avoid sideways trades of premiums. Use this as a chance to rectify some of your premium issues though - e.g. Billings. With three trades it means you can be downgrading two rookies to fund an upgrade, and as long as all three trades are moving to someone that has already had their bye (e.g. coming into Round 12 I'll likely be looking at guys like Rocky, Gray, etc.) you should be boosting your team easily.

Looking ahead I am hoping to have 5, 6 and 9 out over the bye weeks - factoring in planned changes. Don't have the cash to fully upgrade out of the byes, as a few dropped/dropping players (Crowden, Mutch etc) have cost me, as has players like Taranto not holding on for a few more weeks.

Looks like I will have a couple of rookies left to deal with post byes, but likely to be of the Fritsch and Doedee varieties...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking ahead I am hoping to have 5, 6 and 9 out over the bye weeks - factoring in planned changes. Don't have the cash to fully upgrade out of the byes, as a few dropped/dropping players (Crowden, Mutch etc) have cost me, as has players like Taranto not holding on for a few more weeks.

Looks like I will have a couple of rookies left to deal with post byes, but likely to be of the Fritsch and Doedee varieties...
Fritsch, Ronke will stay in my side a bit longer than Doedee.
Just traded in T.Smith for the crazy low break even.

Fritsch, Ronke will stay in my side a bit longer than Doedee.
Just traded in T.Smith for the crazy low break even.

Was planning on upgrading Doedee first, in Rd 13 - but Murray and Seedsman might have forced my hand.

Although, forgot that Brayshaw is DPP, which might alter things a little...

Currently got 6 non playing rooks and 3 on field. So I guess over the next 3 rounds I have to get those 9 sorted. So a triple downgrade next week, then 3 down 1 up, then 3 down and 2 up. Hopefully full after the byes then O Mac and Nat to Grundy. Will be targetting rooks that have had their byes. Does this make sense? Or am I dreaming?

I'm sitting on 1/4/12/13 before trades this week. Have wanted to get Gus Brayshaw and Rocky in this week but I think Tim Smith would be really valuable for his scores and also huge cash generation. Think Rocky is must-have, which means I may have to miss out on Gus. He will probably go up another 50k at least next round though haha. I could maybe pass on Rocky actually and hope for something under 100. Don't think I can do that though, just because of FOMO. Why the hell did Gus have to go bloody 160 haha ffs if he just went the usual 100 I could just go Murray to him and be done with it.

Ok so have done a bit of spreadsheeting, and this is a rough guide for what I'll aim to do. Fingers crossed Seedsman is okay, and no other significant injuries.

Currently: 1/6/11/11 with premiums 0/5/7.5/4.5 (McKernan 0.5, Billings 0.5)
26k cash

R11:
Coffield -> rookie, McKernan -> Rockliff
50-100k cash

R12:
Murphy -> rookie, McInerney -> rookie, Crowden -> Walters/fwd premo
0k cash
Leaves me with something like 2/6/11/10 = 23 players

R13:
Fritsch -> rookie, Pearce -> rookie, Spargo -> Yeo - hoping there will be new r12 rookies to pick!
100k cash
Leaves me with something like 2/8/10/9 = 19-20 players

R14:
Doedee -> rookie, Jacobs -> Grundy, Neale/Billings/Savage -> premo
0k cash
Leaves me with something like 2/8/13/6 = 22-23 players

R15:
Holman -> rookie, Waterman or Phillips -> Laird

Given I am relatively heavy on r13 premiums, there's not a lot I can do to get more than 19-20 players on field that round, unless I take Port/GC/round 12 rookies over the next fortnight, which may be able to get me to 21 or so, but not terribly fussed. Should be in keeping with many others.

R12 most people are likely to be okay.
R14 I'm hoping to be strong as should have 20 premiums in the team by then, with only Seedsman, and 2 of Savage/Billings/Neale as premiums in that round, so my best 18 should be nearly all premiums, so will hope to gain some ground then!

Sitting at 2-8-10-10
But I have none playing rooks in that so at this stage
R12 - 18 playing
R13 - 16 playing
R14 - 16 playing

To be fixed up over the coming weeks.

That's the issue. It's not just bye v available players, it's actually playing on these weeks that's important.

Crowden and Mutch are not adding any value to my bye plans at this stage....

Well there’s 11 trades to be made over the next 4 weeks so we should be alright unless unexpected injuries arise.

I have trouble in my forward line for round 13, then trouble in my backline for round 14. Need to kill it this week and next week to make up for them.

Whilst I like the depth some people go into, ref positions, there is no real reason. I am looking at not just how many players I have playing each round, but now, how many of those are premiums/rookies. I want to go into the byes with a good balance to give me the best chance to not just score well, but to come out of the byes with a better side.

Keeping in mind I am trading in Rocky this week.
Rookies/Premiums
Round 12 – 0/5
Round 13 – 9/4
Round 14 – 4/7

Based on this structure.

Rnd 12
Stephenson -> rookie, Langdon -> rookie, keefe -> JDB + $60
8 rooks / 13 premo

Rnd 13
Spargo -> rookie, Guelfi -> rookie, Ridley -> Yeo. + 62
6 rooks /15 premo

Rnd 14
Fritsch -> def rookie, Sauce -> Grundy, Doedee -> Brayshaw. + 13
7 rooks /14 premo

If the above works I should come out of the byes with only 2 rookies left on the field. I will end up carrying phillips, rice and clarke through the byes. hopefully clarke gets some game time, and generates some cash so we can continue our upgrades.

Team post byes (pending injuries and suspensions) should look like the following.

Def: Laird, Lloyd, Simpson, Yeo, Brayshaw, JDB
Mid: McRae, Titch, Cogs, Zerrett, Fyfe, Gibbs, Dusty, Phillips
Ruck: Grundy, Gawn
Fwd: McLean, Heeny, Smith, Rocky, Sicdawg, rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Bye planning

Remove this Banner Ad

Back