Review Bye Week Boredom

Remove this Banner Ad

SYDNEY SWANS v THE BYE

Saturday April 13, 10:45pm at Jubilee Oval, Mudgee.
How to watch on Fox Footy: From 10:30pm on Channel 504 with Mark Howard, Kelli Underwood, Jack Riewoldt, Gerard Healy, Nick Dal Santo & David Zita

Swans’ burning question: Can the Swans continue their superb start to 2024?

I thought I'd let everyone know that I'll be spending my weekend booing both teams instead of just booing the opposition.

Thank you for your time and hope you have a pleasant weekend.
Bravedogs vs Essendon gave the opportunity to boo both sides plus the umps.

But I still don’t like “Round 0” because this weekend of boredom is the result.

Is there a bye this week ? Ohhh, that explains all the activity on the Jack Hiscox thread.

Is there a bye this week ? Ohhh, that explains all the activity on the Jack Hiscox thread.
Shameless self-promotion.

No Swans in action this week, so I'm really not sure why the AFL have even bothered to keep the competition going at all?

Time to take a breather, look back at the eleven rounds that have been, and the twelve rounds that lie ahead for us.

What's worked?
What hasn't worked?
Favourite highlights and biggest disappointments
How far can we go?

Have at it folks.
Thought that since we had (sigh) another bye, I’d revisit this one.

What’s worked?
Just about everything. But I think the standouts have been:
1. Heeeny’s move into the midfield
2. JJ’s role
3. Roberts’ introduction to the back 6

What hasn’t worked?
1. Campbell still being chopped and changed - no clear role as yet
2. Parker’s season
3. The run of injury in the VFL ranks

Favourite highlight:
Demolishing Freo at Optus

Biggest disappointment
The default position would be to say the Richmond game.
But for me personally, it’s Gus’ injuries - I really thought this was going to be his breakout year

How far can we go?
A GF.
But can we perform in a GF? The jury remains out on that one.

Thought that since we had (sigh) another bye, I’d revisit this one.

What’s worked?
Just about everything. But I think the standouts have been:
1. Heeeny’s move into the midfield
2. JJ’s role
3. Roberts’ introduction to the back 6

What hasn’t worked?
1. Campbell still being chopped and changed - no clear role as yet
2. Parker’s season
3. The run of injury in the VFL ranks

Favourite highlight:
Demolishing Freo at Optus

Biggest disappointment
The default position would be to say the Richmond game.
But for me personally, it’s Gus’ injuries - I really thought this was going to be his breakout year

How far can we go?
A GF.
But can we perform in a GF? The jury remains out on that one.
Very similar just would say the biggest disappointment for me has been the drop off in output from the small forwards in Papley and Wicks especially in the pressure department and feel like this will be crucial in the finals with the more contested dog fight type of games i expect to occur.

Also this could be partially down to a decrease in usage rates for both Papley and Wicks as more Goal scoring comes through the midfield etc

Great shout Dubai Quacker!

For mine:

What's worked? - Everything. We've improved our contested core (we need a name for them - Greeneybottom? Groweeney? Brodie Heenbottom?) which has improved quite literally every aspect of our game. We've got numbers wide and ahead of the ball because they trust it will get out to them, making for better ball movement with speed, making for better run and carry by handball chains to attack through opposition pressure, making for better forward entries and more efficiency inside 50, and all of the above making for less pressure on our at-times-undermanned defence than in previous years. All combined makes for at least a dozen or so players having career-best years, and recruits slotting in seamlessly with the exact contributions we brought them in for.

What hasn't worked? - Honestly not much. I hate to single anyone out but Francis and Campbell have been the only mature inclusions (so excluding Mitchell, Warner Jr.) who haven't looked at home in their place in the team when they've played. Unlike, say, Fox, who slots in seamlessly, and Adams who has also done so. I also think we have looked vulnerable when that aforementioned contested core hasn't been able to at least break even in the midfield, and it feels like if things are gonna come undone for us in a game, that'll be where it will happen.

Favourite highlights - Kinda going for players here, not really "moments" as there have honestly been so many moments of individual brilliance from so many players that to name them all would be folly. But I like that a lot of the competition's "bests" are in our team. The best overall player (Heeney), the best kick (Gulden), the best at making tackles (Rowbottom), the best at breaking tackles (Warner), the best rebounding weapon in the comp (Blakey), the best negating player (Jordon). It's seriously formidable. And again - so many taking that next step. Melican, Roberts, McInerney, Hayward, McDonald. The Hydra working. LLOYD ON THE WING! I could go on and on.

Biggest disappointments - Probably Campbell not being able to take that next step (yet), the absence of Mills, and the annoying setbacks to the depth players below like Parker, Sheldrick, Warner Jr. etc.

How far can we go? - All the damn way. And by that I mean, to at least a grand final. As we unfortunately know all too well, from there anything can happen.

Great shout Dubai Quacker!

For mine:

What's worked? - Everything. We've improved our contested core (we need a name for them - Greeneybottom? Groweeney? Brodie Heenbottom?) which has improved quite literally every aspect of our game. We've got numbers wide and ahead of the ball because they trust it will get out to them, making for better ball movement with speed, making for better run and carry by handball chains to attack through opposition pressure, making for better forward entries and more efficiency inside 50, and all of the above making for less pressure on our at-times-undermanned defence than in previous years. All combined makes for at least a dozen or so players having career-best years, and recruits slotting in seamlessly with the exact contributions we brought them in for.

What hasn't worked? - Honestly not much. I hate to single anyone out but Francis and Campbell have been the only mature inclusions (so excluding Mitchell, Warner Jr.) who haven't looked at home in their place in the team when they've played. Unlike, say, Fox, who slots in seamlessly, and Adams who has also done so. I also think we have looked vulnerable when that aforementioned contested core hasn't been able to at least break even in the midfield, and it feels like if things are gonna come undone for us in a game, that'll be where it will happen.

Favourite highlights - Kinda going for players here, not really "moments" as there have honestly been so many moments of individual brilliance from so many players that to name them all would be folly. But I like that a lot of the competition's "bests" are in our team. The best overall player (Heeney), the best kick (Gulden), the best at making tackles (Rowbottom), the best at breaking tackles (Warner), the best rebounding weapon in the comp (Blakey), the best negating player (Jordon). It's seriously formidable. And again - so many taking that next step. Melican, Roberts, McInerney, Hayward, McDonald. The Hydra working. LLOYD ON THE WING! I could go on and on.

Biggest disappointments - Probably Campbell not being able to take that next step (yet), the absence of Mills, and the annoying setbacks to the depth players below like Parker, Sheldrick, Warner Jr. etc.

How far can we go? - All the damn way. And by that I mean, to at least a grand final. As we unfortunately know all too well, from there anything can happen.
Top post caesar88.
May I add the best ruck/big bodied mid (Grundy), forward/ruck (McLean) and so on.
The development of alternative ways to score and the ability to adjust.
I have been disappointed by a couple of events. I feel the loss to Richmond was unnecessary, though I know many disagree about that. But we let ourselves down.
Parker's suspension was unnecessary. That's the only directly player related thing that has disappointed me.
Overall we have been lucky so far with injuries and "lesser" players have stepped up well enough to maintain our form.
Your last para 100%.

Good posts above. I have a thought, or more to the point, a question.

With the tweaking of the rules, can we expect Rowy and Grundy and others to get more frees for their tackling?

Yes but Chad better watch out he loves to slowly break tackles. It probably ends up even.

Have to say I liked the way it was umpired this week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Bye Week Boredom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back