Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
From the Foxsports website, talking about whether Cahill will cop 1 or 2 games:
"The referee has reported that, in an attempt to win the ball, the player used excessive force in tackling an opponent from behind, thereby causing danger," a Football Federation Australia (FFA) spokesman said.

"As it was a direct red card and not two yellow cards, additional disciplinary sanctions may be imposed on the player - additional suspension, fine, etc. "

Did the ref watch the same game as the rest of us?
Red card, maybe...1-game suspension...possibly...but 2 games for "excessive force".
And I would hardly call it a dangerous tackle.
Seriously....

Don't remember him attempting to win the ball to be honest...

Seemed like a clinical foul to me. Not dirty at all, but blatant.

Don't remember him attempting to win the ball to be honest...

Seemed like a clinical foul to me. Not dirty at all, but blatant.

A clinical blatant foul? I'd say he decided he was going to commit a foul, and at the last minute tried to pull out (it rarely works) and his momentum saw him collect Schweinsteiger...it was a foul for sure but barely warranted a yellow card let alone a red...if he gets an extra match it will be ridiculous, but you never know with Fifa.

<paranoid mode>
But it was one of those big rugged Australians trying to hurt the poor little German player so we will throw the whole library at him to make sure that he learns his lesson for being a big meany.
</paranoid mode>

Honestly, Cahill was trying to pull out of the tackle and clattered Schweinsteiger (pig mounter) in a clumsy tackle. Yellow card and a severe talking to but not a red card.

I'm still trying to understand why we haven't appealed a blatantly incorrect decision. He didn't use excessive force and the tackle was more from the side than it was from behind.

Absolute joke of a decision and obviously won't get 2 game ban it's just the process they go through with all red cards.

I'm still trying to understand why we haven't appealed a blatantly incorrect decision. He didn't use excessive force and the tackle was more from the side than it was from behind.

Absolute joke of a decision and obviously won't get 2 game ban it's just the process they go through with all red cards.

They are appealing now

I think it would be a waste of time, FIFA wouldn't take this course of action against a ref

I think it would be a waste of time, FIFA wouldn't take this course of action against a ref
Why? Teams are allowed to appeal bans for red cards. They can't for 2 yellow card offences I think. But you see it all the time in the EPL where a player was incorrectly sent off they can appeal and play in the next game.

The ref certainly shouldn't be officiating any important games if what you're saying is the case.

Why? Teams are allowed to appeal bans for red cards. They can't for 2 yellow card offences I think. But you see it all the time in the EPL where a player was incorrectly sent off they can appeal and play in the next game.

The ref certainly shouldn't be officiating any important games if what you're saying is the case.
Normally when reds get overturned it is because of either a case of mistaken identity (IE someone else did it) or the "victim" took a dive and the ref fell for it.

In some rare cases, reds can be overturned for being too harsh (Cristiano and Danny Allsopp in the A-League GF) but a lot of times it comes down to interpretation and the governing body will say the ref made a judgement call at the time and they won't rule against it.

Having said that, there is no way this should be upgraded to two matches. That would just be compounding a mistake.

It will remain as one match.

The ONLY reason 2 matches is being talked about is because he copped a straight red, and so it's just a part of the ruling that an upgrade to 2 matches is a possibility. That, and it's something for the media to talk about.

What will happen is FIFA will go through the motions as they have to and just keep it as a one match ban.

End of thread, end of discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ONLY reason 2 matches is being talked about is because he copped a straight red, and so it's just a part of the ruling that an upgrade to 2 matches is a possibility. That, and it's something for the media to talk about.

What will happen is FIFA will go through the motions as they have to and just keep it as a one match ban.

Let's hope....this is FIFA we are dealing with...anything can happen.

You're correct in what you say. An absolute shocker of a decision. Not even worth a Yellow Card.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cahill suspension...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back