WSYD Callan Ward off to GWS - Official

Remove this Banner Ad

They will struggle to win a game in 2012 if Callan Ward is the best money can buy.

Stupid money for a good player, which is all Ward is. Not in the top 50 in the AFL.

Well that would be stupid of GWS - the extra money is only available for a few years and then they go back to the same cap level as everyone else.

So instead of having the problem where every player has to be asked to to take a pay cut in 3-4 years, they instead pay overs for 3 or 4 players and isolate the potential problem to those guys.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the GWS cap bonus is slowly wound down over a period of a decade.

Re: Callum Ward off to GWS - Official

I'd be frustrated, but I certainly wouldn't be booing one of my own players.

Don't know why my post was deleted when this shit stays, probably because the mods have a hard on for guys like this. But I will respond again... just like you jeer your players when they get injured?

Good get for the Giants, good deal for Callan, and he's done the right thing by letting the Dogs know ASAP after the season ended. Good behaviour all around, except by the Bulldogs fans of course. Bunch of children they're acting like.

That's not really fair.

If you lost arguably your 2 best young players, I doubt you'd be too happy about it. I mean, you guys boo Stanton just for existing.

I think GWS are going about it the right way for LT sustained success. While they might get smashed next year in 5 years time their 21-23 yr old recruits will be at their peak while their 17-19 yr old stars will be hitting their peak at 22-24.

They will be scary good, more so than GC.

Anyway they can just get some mature VFL/SANFL/WAFL players for a year or two to fill KPP roles.

I think the opposite. I think losing constantly, for years on end, is a very bad way to develop youth. I think being noncompetitive stunts the development of youth - not only does it breed bad mental habits (that winning is acceptable because you're young) but it also prevents the reward cycle: the players are never in a position to have any kind of sustained success, so doing the necessary things to win doesn't become instinctive.

What they really need is to have big bodies around them and mature, experienced players to guide them. I don't think picking up a bunch of 21 year olds is the way to do it. Yes, the team will be latent with talent, but I'm steadfast that this kind of very young drafting strategy will stunt their development. Throwing them to the wolves for years and relying on natural talent to eventually emerge after years of getting smashed just seems fraught with danger to me.

For the record I have the same feeling about the way Melbourne and Port have gone about things in the past 12 months, so I may yet be proven wrong by any of these three examples :eek:

great news!! eases the pain somewhat of giving the dogs pick 19 for mcmahon which they used to get ward...

Conversely, we could get 2 first round picks for Ward, turning Jordan Mcmahon into 2 first rounders, which we will use in a superdraft.

Fair enough for someone like Gary Ablett, best player in the competition, and he has carried Gold Coast this year and been a huge boon to the club.

But paying top dollar for someone like Ward? Does not bode well at all for GWS.

So wait, the rumours are they will spend 12.5M over five years on three players? That's insane.
So insane that you would probably need to reconsider the validity of the rumours.

The AFL gave the expansion clubs a bunch of extra money because it's difficult to lure and maintain players in a non-footy area. The idea is that they can pay everyone an extra 10%.
A player on $400,000 per year isn't going to relocate interstate for an extra $40,000. At the very minium you are going to need 20% but more likely 30%+.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so will scully when gws take him to court for a breach of heads of agreement contract...

Hahaha. Firstly it is almost impossible in the Australian court system to sue over those type of matters. Secondly, who besides Eddie has said that has occurred? Not one self respecting journo. Scully is very far from gone and the silence today confirms that.

Fair enough for someone like Gary Ablett, best player in the competition, and he has carried Gold Coast this year and been a huge boon to the club.

But paying top dollar for someone like Ward? Does not bode well at all for GWS.

They've got to spend the money anyway and struggled to get top line players.

He's going to be over paid, but could be a top 50 player in 2 - 3 years time.

Conversely, we could get 2 first round picks for Ward, turning Jordan Mcmahon into 2 first rounders, which we will use in a superdraft.

that's looking at the positive for sure, at least our hands will be wiped from what will go down as one of the worst trades in the last few years....

Hahaha. Firstly it is almost impossible in the Australian court system to sue over those type of matters. Secondly, who besides Eddie has said that has occurred? Not one self respecting journo. Scully is very far from gone and the silence today confirms that.

watch this space....

If he was going to re-sign with you he would've by now.

Scully said he wasnt going to discuss contracts at all until the end of the season. Moron journos and moron members of the public assumed this mean he had signed a contract with GWS. I will take Scully for his word and that he has started his contract negotiations today with the MFC.

Sorry mate but the silence for one day really doesn't confirm that at all. It is in GWS' interests to have the players they sign announce it at different times to keep them in the paper as much as possible. IIRC we only officially found out about Rischitelli after the b&f and Brennan just before trade week. Ablett leaving was announced after the first grand final as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

WSYD Callan Ward off to GWS - Official

Remove this Banner Ad

Back