Callan Ward

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something stinks.

Thomas is signing with Collingwood missing out on about $500,000 per year yet he stays. So does Swan, so does Pendlebury.

I just can't believe that all 3 walk away from that sort of money. Maybe because they're not. I have my suspicions and always have, that the money clubs find a way. There is some very sophisticated cheating going on mark my words. :thumbsdown:

Possibly, but at the moment they also have the lure of playing in multiple flags. The facilities, trips to Arizona and profile that Collingwood players get would also be an enticement.

Possibly, but at the moment they also have the lure of playing in multiple flags. The facilities, trips to Arizona and profile that Collingwood players get would also be an enticement.

That would play a part in normal contract negotiation, but when we are talking about double your money and then some I doubt it would make much impact, especially when they are already premiership players. You get a lot of trips to Arizona for $2.5 mil.

There is something funny going on.

Not always. Carey was routinely offered huge deals but chose to stay at North. Grant stuck with you guys when he could have made heaps more elsewhere. Plenty of players from bothn our sides like Boomer and Scotty West were big targets for other clubs but stayed.

I reckon Pendles and Daisy want to see if they can win another flag or two with their mates. Both are young enough to do that and stil sign a big money deal.

Yes I understand that players have stayed at clubs despite the big money offers in the past. But the money we are talking about with the expansion clubs is far greater than has ever been seen before. We are not talking $100,000 more...or $200,000 more...not even $300,000 more...but at least $500,000 more per year for 5 years....

Gee those Collingwood players must be very loyal.

There is talk that GWS have landed a big fish, a player not mentioned before. I will watch with interest to see who that is, and what club he's from. My bet is that it will not be from a club with deep pockets. Unless of course he's a bit bit disgruntled like G Ablett was. He's not from our club because we have already lost Ward.

There is talk that GWS have landed a big fish, a player not mentioned before. I will watch with interest to see who that is, and what club he's from. My bet is that it will not be from a club with deep pockets. Unless of course he's a bit bit disgruntled like G Ablett was. He's not from our club because we have already lost Ward.

If the reports of Thomas resigning do go ahead it makes it look even more likely that Ward is going.

Names were floated earlier in the year of potential GWS targets that went quiet after that.

It will be interesting to see who they have landed when the announcements are made at the end of the season.

If Ward informs the club next week that he is definitely leaving to go to GWS, then I think he should not be selected in the final Round 24 match against Fremantle. This will be Barry Hall's farewell game and if Ward were part of it, this would not only spoil the game and it would spoil it for Barry Hall.
We would be fare-welling one player who has given us two terrific seasons, but must stop playing because of the physical stress it causes him and at the same time feel angry about another, who is leaving because of money and nothing else.
If Callan Ward is definitely going to GWS, then it's much better if he's not in the final line up for the season.

If Ward informs the club next week that he is definitely leaving to go to GWS, then I think he should not be selected in the final Round 24 match against Fremantle. This will be Barry Hall's farewell game and if Ward were part of it, this would not only spoil the game and it would spoil it for Barry Hall.
We would be fare-welling one player who has given us two terrific seasons, but must stop playing because of the physical stress it causes him and at the same time feel angry about another, who is leaving because of money and nothing else.
If Callan Ward is definitely going to GWS, then it's much better if he's not in the final line up for the season.

Yes....agree...in fact he shouldn't be playing this week or last week. He already knows what he's doing, I suspect he's going so he can make way for another kid to play.

I don't entirely blame him for going, but once you are going, stop stuffing about, let people know and let us move on. I hate the selfishness off it....Ablett did it last year, so did Harbrow. :thumbsdown:

However, if he is staying, what a great game round 24 will be. :)

"If" is the key word here. It is now evident that Hudson will also possibly play his final game and Hahn has also announced his retirement. With all this on top of Barry Hall's retirement, it is even more important that Ward does not play unless he stays with the Bulldogs.

"If" is the key word here. It is now evident that Hudson will also possibly play his final game and Hahn has also announced his retirement. With all this on top of Barry Hall's retirement, it is even more important that Ward does not play unless he stays with the Bulldogs.

I agree, Ward's gone, I just hope he does the right thing, although there's no easy way to tell the club you love and play for that you are leaving for twice as much money, but it will happen unfortunately. And I dearly hope that they allow Hudson and Hahn to join Hall in a fitting final game send off. Hall will probably kick 10 against Freo...god I hope he changes his mind on retirement:eek:

I agree, Ward's gone, I just hope he does the right thing, although there's no easy way to tell the club you love and play for that you are leaving for twice as much money, but it will happen unfortunately. And I dearly hope that they allow Hudson and Hahn to join Hall in a fitting final game send off. Hall will probably kick 10 against Freo...god I hope he changes his mind on retirement:eek:

You mean like Aker did? :rolleyes:

In last years trade period, didn't brisbane trade brennan to gold coast and also receive their compensation pick as well? that'd be quite nice if we got the two compo picks for ward as well as a trade pick...
or maybe i'm just remembering something that didn't happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes....agree...in fact he shouldn't be playing this week or last week. He already knows what he's doing, I suspect he's going so he can make way for another kid to play.

I don't entirely blame him for going, but once you are going, stop stuffing about, let people know and let us move on. I hate the selfishness off it....Ablett did it last year, so did Harbrow. :thumbsdown:

I suspect he'd be going for the money, nothing more, nothing less.

Agree that as soon as he's made a decision he needs to let the club know. It's not within the clubs interest to stop him from playing if he announces it, considering the compensation criteria.

I don't blame him at all if he decides to go, the club looks after its own interests, the players need to look after theirs. Most of the time it balances out, sometimes it doesn't either way.

^^

Yes....agree...in fact he shouldn't be playing this week or last week. He already knows what he's doing, I suspect he's going.

So, [given he is going] he can make way for another kid to play.

Edited for clarity

If Ward's going for the GWS money then he should not play in the final game, when we farewell Barry Hall, Ben Hudson and Mitch Hahn.

and drop all those that the club know they are delisting in a few weeks time, as they are only taking up space as well

That is a club decision and the club is greater than the individual.
Those being delisted will be a result of ability and filling positions and structures for the team, not money.

I've heard a few classic chinese whispers but I just thought I'd share(spread gossip),

My cousin is good mates with Callan Ward, has been for years and I've always heard things through him. He says Ward's leaving. He's actually been saying that for the last 3 months.

Secondly and a lot less reliable. My old man works with a guy who's an ex coach of Ward's and they apparently still keep in contact and he has said he's going.

These are as cliche as they come so take them with a grain salt of if you want. It's already very obvious anyway.

OK, lets assume he's as good as gone.
Can anyone advise what compensation we will get from the AFL in regards to draft picks?
The AFL is a disgrace by the way to allow this to happen. How we can lose 2 young players in 2 years to these expansion clubs is a joke!

OK, lets assume he's as good as gone.
Can anyone advise what compensation we will get from the AFL in regards to draft picks?
The AFL is a disgrace by the way to allow this to happen. How we can lose 2 young players in 2 years to these expansion clubs is a joke!

2 first rounders. one in the middle of the draft (or is it end?), and one after our first pick, I believe it is. So, band 1.

We should anyway, if we get band 2 its a load of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back