Senior Cam Rayner (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Former club: Western Jets
Height: 187cm
Weight: 87kg
Position: Midfielder

Graduate of NAB AFL Academy who is a powerful medium forward or midfielder who excels with his speed and agility at stoppages. Is dangerous around the goals and strong in the air. Had an outstanding NAB AFL U18 Championships for Vic Metro, winning All Australian U18 honours to push himself into contention as the No.1 pick. An explosive player who changes games with his pace and strength. A knee problem ruled him out of testing at the Combine.

Steve Conole, Recruiting Manager, says:

“Cam’s an explosive, powerful, half forward that can play some midfield. He’s been touted as a No. 1, really since his U16's, he’s always been a highly regarded player. He’s still a player that’s developing his midfield craft but he’ll start forward of the ball and he’ll end up being a forward that can roll through the midfield. He’s an exciting player.”

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-11-24/pick-no-cam-rayner

Last edited:

His excitement is infectious.

I think his positive attitude will serve him well in a rebuilding team that is interstate as well.

Very nervous about the lure of the Dons in a few years, but damn it's exciting to have someone touted as "the next Dusty" on the list.

One of the few players currently at the Lions who I could realistically see being in the top few players in the competition at some point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forget about stringer being the "package" this boy is the complete package !! His character alone will put bums on seats ! Never have I seen a happier first pick

Welcome Cam and family you will fit in and be a lion we will all talk about for many years !

This is my favourite Rayner highlights video. It is from the U17 All Star match that he played in at the end of last year but it really highlights his raw talent.

About the 2min mark he gets called ‘Disco’. Boom, that’s your nickname right there.

This is my favourite Rayner highlights video. It is from the U17 All Star match that he played in at the end of last year but it really highlights his raw talent.

In many ways his 2016 season highlights are more impressive than this year's. He looked like he was carrying more weight and didn't quite have the spring he had last year. He's got a lot of work to do but he could be anything.

For me , one of the most impressive moments is at 1:53 on that tape where he should get a free kick but doesn't

Doesn't sook,sulk

Goodness me, he looks a fantastic pick up, seems very likable and genuine, even if he does go home (which we all hope he doesn't), one cannot blame the Lions for taking him.

Love that when he called out as number 1 he ALREADY knoew about the trades ins we had with Cameron and Hodge, shows he knew a far bit about us already.

Probably knew beforehand and made an effort to make a good first impression good to see he doesn't have a big head

Remove this Banner Ad

Back