Cam Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

Regular Season Good Job GIF by MLB

I will tip my hat to Rayner. Good performance today. Getting some consistency together. my main criticism of him.
WTF is happening right now. There is no way… Well you have my respect.

Can we wrap this up now? The whole reason for this stupid thread is over

No, it's just on its way to Legendary thread status now !

From Rags to Riches story - a no.1 pick who has been called out for underachieving his potential for years is finally starting to change the narrative. This thread will become a thread of celebration now (hopefully) with Rayner going from strength to strength !

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see Rayner hitting some form now. He was always touted to be a slow burn, maybe we just didn't think this slow.

At the end of the day, the game is better when our top draft picks are playing well (despite what some fans of a specific team might think ;))

Rayner has had a second half of this season befitting a number 1 pick.

The real judgements will be made around what he can do in September. He is 24, fit, has the right role, the right team around him, and it is all set up for him to show us just how good he is. Hopefully he stays fit and shows his best on the biggest stage.

Good to see Rayner hitting some form now. He was always touted to be a slow burn, maybe we just didn't think this slow.

At the end of the day, the game is better when our top draft picks are playing well (despite what some fans of a specific team might think ;))

His role is the most difficult on the field linking forwards with midfield. It requires the player to have a decent footy iq and learn positioning and the right times to stay forward / push into stoppages etc. That combined with playing in an already talented side + an ACL year means it was always going to be a bit of a slow build. Almost nil players who play that role come on as an A grader quickly.

Rayner has had a second half of this season befitting a number 1 pick.

The real judgements will be made around what he can do in September. He is 24, fit, has the right role, the right team around him, and it is all set up for him to show us just how good he is. Hopefully he stays fit and shows his best on the biggest stage.

I just hope he can continue to do Danny proud.

This is the only remaining doubt I have about Rayner. danster168 seems to have done a massive 180 and is backing Rayner now. Given Danster is the biggest reverse indicator on this forum, this does not augur well for Rayner. :)

#inDannywetrust

In all seriousness, he has doubled-down hard, that many times, that I fully respect the eventual tipping of the hat. No backhanded compliment, just an honest tipping of ones hat.

I pray that Rayner will not make him regret it.

#inDannywetrust

In all seriousness, he has doubled-down hard, that many times, that I fully respect the eventual tipping of the hat. No backhanded compliment, just an honest tipping of ones hat.

I pray that Rayner will not make him regret it.

Danster has not yielded until he admits Rayner:

- is clearly worth a top 10 pick

- is worth more than Fritsch, currently and whole career value

- is a decent enough number 1 pick when you line them all up and compare

If you read back over the first part of the thread, myself and some others were pilloried by the likes and Danster for backing Rayner in.

Danster actually accused me of trolling because I rated Ed Richards and Rayner as more valuable than Fritsch. And Danster had plenty of support at that stage of the thread from posters who have now totally vanished into thin air.

So credit where credit is due, criticism where criticism is due. danster168 needs to accept the criticism he is due before we can start giving him any credit.

Danster has not yielded until he admits Rayner:

- is clearly worth a top 10 pick

- is worth more than Fritsch, currently and whole career value

- is a decent enough number 1 pick when you line them all up and compare

If you read back over the first part of the thread, myself and some others were pilloried by the likes and Danster for backing Rayner in.

Danster actually accused me of trolling because I rated Ed Richards and Rayner as more valuable than Fritsch. And Danster had plenty of support at that stage of the thread from posters who have now totally vanished into thin air.

So credit where credit is due, criticism where criticism is due. danster168 needs to accept the criticism he is due before we can start giving him any credit.

Prior to the last 9 weeks of sustained good/elite form, of those points, I would say that one could reasonably argue:

• he's not worth a top 10 pick
  • across his whole career has produced less than Fritsch (I woudn't even argue against this)
  • is among the weaker number 1 picks based on body of evidence

However... one would be ignoring the fact he:

• is still young (24yo)
  • missed 12 months of footy
  • hasn't been able to settle into a well-defined role
  • has clearly demonstrated his massive upside via the occasional elite performance

I (and many others, like yourself) consider all of these factors in our assessments of his potential trade value.

With the last 9 weeks in mind, you'd be mad not to offer a top 10 pick for him, he's well on track to go past Fritsch across his career (has a few years up his sleeve, too), and he's looking very worthy of #1 pick status.

If he continues to play like he has for the last month, he could become the best player in the comp - it' probably not sustainable, but if could play like it half the time, and be a bit quieter the other half, you'd still take it in a heart beat.

Prior to the last 9 weeks of sustained good/elite form, of those points, I would say that one could reasonably argue:

• he's not worth a top 10 pick
  • across his whole career has produced less than Fritsch (I woudn't even argue against this)
  • is among the weaker number 1 picks based on body of evidence

However... one would be ignoring the fact he:

• is still young (24yo)
  • missed 12 months of footy
  • hasn't been able to settle into a well-defined role
  • has clearly demonstrated his massive upside via the occasional elite performance

I (and many others, like yourself) consider all of these factors in our assessments of his potential trade value.

With the last 9 weeks in mind, you'd be mad not to offer a top 10 pick for him, he's well on track to go past Fritsch across his career (has a few years up his sleeve, too), and he's looking very worthy of #1 pick status.

If he continues to play like he has for the last month, he could become the best player in the comp - it' probably not sustainable, but if could play like it half the time, and be a bit quieter the other half, you'd still take it in a heart beat.

It cannot be reasonably argued now that Rayner was not worth a top 10 pick at any point. If someone paid say pick 7 for him at any point in his career, we can now see he would have been well worth the investment. His current form shows he was NEVER not worth a top 10 pick.

It cannot be reasonably argued now that Rayner was not worth a top 10 pick at any point. If someone paid say pick 7 for him at any point in his career, we can now see he would have been well worth the investment. His current form shows he was NEVER not worth a top 10 pick.

Yes, but I prefaced that with “prior to the last 9 weeks”.

I personally would’ve paid a top 10 pick for him at any point, as I had faith in the elite potential he had shown.

I can understand how, prior to the last 9 weeks, someone might not - that is just a stance I disagree with, but can understand.

The question right now is what would one pay today?

I’d certainly pay pick 10, or 9, or 8…how high would I go? I’m not sure!

If he holds his current form for another 6 games, I would part with pick 1, for a readymade bull having entered his prime.

Certainly worth more than pick 34, in any case. 😊

Remove this Banner Ad

Cam Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back