Certified Legendary Thread Cam Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats on the win guys. I went along to the game tonight. At half time I thought, 'yep, another Rayner performance' but he was one of the best in the 2nd half tonight. He owed the lions after almost single handedly losing them the match against GWS, and he responded. Good goal in the last quarter and last clearance.

You didn’t watch the same second half v GWS that I watched then…there are many ways to impact a game that don’t count as a disposal and he had plenty…it just comes down to how you view the game I guess 🤷‍♂️

You didn’t watch the same second half v GWS that I watched then…there are many ways to impact a game that don’t count as a disposal and he had plenty…it just comes down to how you view the game I guess 🤷‍♂️
please. don't for one second try to pretend that Rayner's game last week was nothing other than one of the worst games any AFL played this year. The dumb off the ball free kicks from Himmelberg etc. That was all in the 2nd half was it not?

Don't turn this thread into dumb arguments like even hinting at the idea that Rayner wasn't deplorable last week. Almost cost you the season. Potentially the premiership. He owed you guys tonight.

And proved what we all knew - that you have no clue about football. Is he still a spud ? He was one of the main reasons we won tonight. That X factor that all teams now - especially at this time of the year.
Playing 1 good game, 1 shit game and 1 close to BOG game doesn't really sway my opinion much. Sprayners issue has always been his wildly fluctuating form.

Until he can become a consistent player he'll be an underachieving spud. If he did become consistent he'd be a superstar.

He owed the club after last week. And he had a fantastic 2nd half after being invisible in the first half. But he stood up when it mattered tonight. Maybe 6th best for the lions.

Rayner was the 4th highest rated player in the game v cats. That is 3 of his last 6 finals he has been in the best 4 on the ground. With ratings in the 16.6-18.7 range, so these are really strong performances, especially for a guy playing mainly forward. The 3 finals matches in between not so strong. I feel he still has a bit more in him, especially with some decision making and kicking execution. And the Lions also need to keep refining his role. But those are 3 genuinely strong finals, not that many players ever do that.

Playing 1 good game, 1 shit game and 1 close to BOG game doesn't really sway my opinion much. Sprayners issue has always been his wildly fluctuating form.

Until he can become a consistent player he'll be an underachieving spud. If he did become consistent he'd be a superstar.

I don't think Cam's role is conducive to the consistency you're looking for. What players are comparable with Cam in the league for consistency and game winning ability in his position? His split of fwd/mid time fluctuates significantly throughout the season - from close to 100% fwd to probably 80/20.

Would far prefer an inconsistent player who wins games than a consistent player who cannot impact the game like that.

I don't think Cam's role is conducive to the consistency you're looking for. What players are comparable with Cam in the league for consistency and game winning ability in his position? His split of fwd/mid time fluctuates significantly throughout the season - from close to 100% fwd to probably 80/20.
Well the obvious comparison is Dusty, and I guess Degoey to a lesser extent. The reason Dusty became such a superstar was because he consistently did what Rayner did in the second half tonight across just about every big game he ever played.

Degoey, while not in the best shape all the time, is still a more consistent threat in games than Rayner when healthy.

Rayner has the rare ability to blow open a game in 5 minutes, which not many do... his issue is he also has the rare ability to literally turn invisible... sometimes just for a quarter, sometimes a game, sometimes even weeks at a time.

As long as he's like that he'll never be a superstar player in my eyes. More a flash in the pan type who's capable of anything on his day but can't be relied on as a consistent contributor like others.

Well the obvious comparison is Dusty, and I guess Degoey to a lesser extent. The reason Dusty became such a superstar was because he consistently did what Rayner did in the second half tonight across just about every big game he ever played.

Degoey, while not in the best shape all the time, is still a more consistent threat in games than Rayner when healthy.

Rayner has the rare ability to blow open a game in 5 minutes, which not many do... his issue is he also has the rare ability to literally turn invisible... sometimes just for a quarter, sometimes a game, sometimes even weeks at a time.

As long as he's like that he'll never be a superstar player in my eyes. More a flash in the pan type who's capable of anything on his day but can't be relied on as a consistent contributor like others.

I think that is my point though isn't it - you named one retired player who is one of the GOATs of the game and another who plays more midfield time than Cam. There are very few players who can actually play his position well. And IMO all have been dogged with issues of consistency throughout their careers, De Goey definitely.

I think that is my point though isn't it - you named one retired player who is one of the GOATs of the game and another who plays more midfield time than Cam. There are very few players who can actually play his position well. And IMO all have been dogged with issues of consistency throughout their careers, De Goey definitely.
Well I guess it just depends how u evaluate players. Part of the reason I can't many of Carltons spuds like Williams, Martin, McGovern, Motlop etc.

Can play absolutely brilliant one week and complete garbage the next 4. Does my head in.

Id take the consistent ones any day of the week and I guess I'd just like to see Cam become that before lauding him as a player. That being said I've never had much of an issue with him, seems a nice kid who plays the right way when he decides to turn it on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I guess it just depends how u evaluate players. Part of the reason I can't many of Carltons spuds like Williams, Martin, McGovern, Motlop etc.

Can play absolutely brilliant one week and complete garbage the next 4. Does my head in.

Id take the consistent ones any day of the week and I guess I'd just like to see Cam become that before lauding him as a player. That being said I've never had much of an issue with him, seems a nice kid who plays the right way when he decides to turn it on.

I think its about team balance. Cam has been elite this year in defensive pressure and tackling which is a consistent trait. We then take the upside of him being able to win games off his own boot, which absolutely isn't a consistent trait. All good teams have these types of players.

I think its about team balance. Cam has been elite this year in defensive pressure and tackling which is a consistent trait. We then take the upside of him being able to win games off his own boot, which absolutely isn't a consistent trait. All good teams have these types of players.
Yes most good teams tend to have 1 or two. We'd love a Sprayner at Carlton next to Curnow and McKay instead of blokes like Owies and Durdin.

Anyway I thoroughly enjoyed him blowing the Cats to smitherines. Can't stand Scott so watching him embarrass his beloved Dangerflog was a joy to the eyes even if I'll be rooting hard for Sydney next week.

please. don't for one second try to pretend that Rayner's game last week was nothing other than one of the worst games any AFL played this year. The dumb off the ball free kicks from Himmelberg etc. That was all in the 2nd half was it not?

Don't turn this thread into dumb arguments like even hinting at the idea that Rayner wasn't deplorable last week. Almost cost you the season. Potentially the premiership. He owed you guys tonight.

He plays mostly as a forward so it’s challenging, it’s hard as a forward these days to get a lot of the ball and influence the game because teams get numbers back pretty quickly, and it’s a real crowd in there…

…Even last week when he copped a little bit of criticism for maybe not having the best game, if you watch the tape closely, some of his tackling and his contest work particularly in that last quarter when the game was on the line was absolutely awesome. He’s growing as a player, growing as a leader - he’s really important for us.

Hmmm… who do I trust. Fages, who has delivered 6 straight finals series and now two consecutive grand finals - or Danster, the resident Cam-hater…?

He plays mostly as a forward so it’s challenging, it’s hard as a forward these days to get a lot of the ball and influence the game because teams get numbers back pretty quickly, and it’s a real crowd in there…

…Even last week when he copped a little bit of criticism for maybe not having the best game, if you watch the tape closely, some of his tackling and his contest work particularly in that last quarter when the game was on the line was absolutely awesome. He’s growing as a player, growing as a leader - he’s really important for us.

Hmmm… who do I trust. Fages, who has delivered 6 straight finals series and now two consecutive grand finals - or Danster, the resident Cam-hater…?
haha yeah imagine reading that quote and not be able to read between lines. Even fages indirectly said that Rayner played like trash. Dude, no-one is even denying it at this point. You could bring in any under 18 player from the championships and they would've impacted the game more, or any vofl reserves player, or sanfl reserves player to have a better game.

haha yeah imagine reading that quote and not be able to read between lines. Even fages indirectly said that Rayner played like trash. Dude, no-one is even denying it at this point. You could bring in any under 18 player from the championships and they would've impacted the game more, or any vofl reserves player, or sanfl reserves player to have a better game.

Cam Rayner finals rating 16.6 or higher in his last 6 finals outings = 3.

Barely Avfritsch all time finals rating 16.6 or higher = NIL. Never done it once.

I think you now need to admit you got this very badly wrong Danster. Fritsch worth pick 4 and Rayner not in the top 30, LOL. Looks laughable now. Truth be told, to those of us with a clue, it always did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Cam Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back