Gold Coast
30_CampbellBrown.jpg

DETAILS
JUMPER # 30
HEIGHT 179
WEIGHT 81.5
FORMER CLUB Hawthorn

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/player-profiles/campbell-brown/

Campbell Brown joins the Gold Coast SUNS from Hawthorn. In a long and eventful eight-year career with the Hawks, Brown earned a reputation as a tough and uncompromising competitor who could play in a variety of positions with equal skill and courage.

Taken by Hawthorn with Pick 32 of the 2001 National Draft, Brown debuted the following year, earned a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination while he was at it, and went on to amass 159 games with Hawks. Although capable of fulfilling many roles on the field, Brown’s old school doggedness and physicality saw him hold down defensive posts for the majority of his career.

His tenacity down back was rewarded with All Australian selection as a relatively undersized centre half back after an astonishing 2007 season that saw him beat more fancied opponents with monotonous regularity. He has twice been selected to play for Australia in International Rules against Ireland, and was a crucial member of Hawthorn’s famous 2008 Grand Final victory over then premiership favourite Geelong. He was the GC SUNS fourth uncontracted player signing.

Campbell was fantastic,from the moment i saw him giving hunt a few little jabs to the back pumping him up i knew he came to play.
He had that steely look in his eyes as he locked on to the swans forwards and made it known you try anything with our kids and your going home in a bag lol.
The first few minutes of the game the stand in skipper did what a true leader does, he set the tone for the rest of the team to follow,with his desperation and attack on man and ball was second to none,and would have made the kids grow taller with him in the side.
The beauty with campbell is he will never be a high possession winner but what he brings to the team is hardness and will have opposition forwards looking over their shoulders which will lead to some having the jitters and creating turnovers,unfortunately he was hes own worse enemy that night and hurt his shoulder, but he will be back making small forwards have sleepless nights before you know it.
Alot of credit must go to campbell for the win against the swans.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

should have been named captain
Brown is a player the GC could have used to breed agression into their footballers, have them hard as nails, unfortunately, the GC went with ablett, a well known selfish footballer, and a vice captain who... well... is nothing

Brown ready to move on with Suns.

CAMPBELL Brown is moving forward -- both on the field and off it.

On it he has been sent up the ground this year to help provide defensive pressure and to make life hell for opposition players.

Off it he has resolved to put the tumultuous events of the past six months behind him.

He has had to deal with a lot, including a broken pelvis, an off-field incident during an end-of-season trip to Thailand and the controversial loss of his position in the club's leadership group.

Rewind 12 months and this is the same guy who many were saying should have been the inaugural captain of the Gold Coast Suns.

"A year is a long time in footy," Brown says when reminded of this.

But this is not where his story ends, not by a long shot.

The charismatic Brown is hell-bent on making amends and proving to the nay-sayers he has a lot of good football left in him.

"Redemption is what it is about ... there are probably a few people who start to doubt you," Brown said.

"Then you have the pelvis injury and questions whether I can come back.

"There hasn't be too much favourable media of late and don't worry, I take note of who is writing what.

"I'm aware of it but the best way to answer it is by playing good footy."

More than any other Suns player, Brown cannot wait for the season to start on Saturday.

Playing football again is the best way for the former Hawthorn premiership player to move on.

In September he was one of four Suns players detained by Thai police and later released without charge following an altercation with a West Australian man in Koh Phangan.

It did not matter they were believed to not be in the wrong.

They were the high-profile ones and were always going to be the story.

Especially when a very unflattering picture surfaced of a bare-chested Brown, which was taken without his knowledge after the incident.

"Without the photo it wasn't much of a story, but it was a shocking photo," Brown said.

"I wasn't aware it was even out there until a couple of days later when (Suns CEO) Travis (Auld) rang me and asked if I knew anything about a photo, which I didn't.

"It was a regrettable incident but the club were happy with the explanation we gave them and we've put it to bed.

"I've focused on my training and haven't done any media over summer until now ... I've just trained as hard as I can so I can let my footy do the talking."

Brown vowed to never put himself in that position again.

"I can tell you how I am turning it into a positive -- I am never setting foot on Thai shores again," he said.

"Look, I don't stew on things ... it has happened and you can't change it now.

"You just make sure you don't make the same mistake again."

The repercussions of the incident continued when Brown returned home.

The club's deputy vice-captain last year, the utility was not returned in the leadership group this year in a vote decided by the playing group.

It surprised many as Brown is well known internally as one of the club's most popular players among his teammates.

Whether it is the players or the club bosses who didn't want him returned this year will never be known.

"I did put my hand up for it, but I thought there was a bit of a chance I might not be voted in," Brown said.

"It is what it is ... had some of the events of last year not happened, I am sure people would be thinking differently."

Redemption starts for Brown on Saturday against Adelaide at Metricon Stadium.

Deep down he knows he is lucky he has the chance.

His shattered broken pelvis, which he sustained against Geelong late last year, almost ended his career.

"Having spoken to the doctors and surgeons, they said if the crack had gone down into my joint it was probably the end," Brown said.

The hard-at-it 28-year-old, who has not missed a session during the pre-season, will play forward on Saturday.

He will lead by example and doesn't need a title to do so.

What do ppl think of Campbell?

Personally I cant see his contract getting extended past 2013.

Let him be the 2013 NEAFL captain, not in the clubs long term 22 and has ego problems despite being a supposed senior member of the club.

He kept Mav out of the team against Brisbane and I thought we can't keep giving this bloke a game in front of players who have already gone past him

I reckon Brown gets a bit of a bad rap from supporters.

He is after all being asked to fill various roles and he gives his all when doing so. It must be remembered that playing as a defensive lock in forward who is asked to contribute to the scoreboard is not an easy role to play.

Also the delivery is not always perfect!!;)

Yeah, I agree. He's not the most talented footballer, but he's still passionate and gives 100%. You could see on the weekend getting into some of our younger guys (may have been Wilko) when he could see a better option or decision than what they chose.

He still needs to play every week, he was never a big possession getter at the Hawks, but he always provided defensive pressure in whatever role he played in.

I reckon Brown gets a bit of a bad rap from supporters.

He is after all being asked to fill various roles and he gives his all when doing so. It must be remembered that playing as a defensive lock in forward who is asked to contribute to the scoreboard is not an easy role to play.

Also the delivery is not always perfect!!;)

Yes it also must be remembered that he earns huge money for playing and at 8 possessions a game not sure he is worth it. Yes agreed that role is hard yet Stanley managed to do it last year, was leading goal kicker averaged 20 disposals a game on probably on one 10th of the salary.
Like Brown down back where is is more accountable and that forces him to work harder....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back