Can we fit Stokes, Byrnes and Christensen in the same team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah I don't think so.

And I honestly don't think it will come down to it either... as Menzel and Duncan are probably starting 22 players now, and have taken those filler spots that let the in-form forward into the team last year.

I think coming into finals only Stokes will be in the team, unless Duncan or Menzel burn out.

Nah I don't think so.

And I honestly don't think it will come down to it either... as Menzel and Duncan are probably starting 22 players now, and have taken those filler spots that let the in-form forward into the team last year.

I think coming into finals only Stokes will be in the team, unless Duncan or Menzel burn out.

Not too sure about that - Christensen is improving week by week and is probably already a better option as a rotating mid than Stokes. Also has the ability to kick a goal. Was really impressed by him when he came on against the pies earlier in the year. I wouldn't have a problem with him being in our team come finals if he can maintain this form.

Structurally we can because 3 smalls doesn't give you the problem that say, 3 ruckmen in the same side would.

That said, when you look at our depth, with Menzel Duncan and Hunt pretty much having locked themselves in, and the good performance of the other kids that have played, realistically one of the three players in the OP will miss out. I get the feeling that may well be Byrnes because Stokes has had such a head start this year.

Not too sure about that - Christensen is improving week by week and is probably already a better option as a rotating mid than Stokes. Also has the ability to kick a goal. Was really impressed by him when he came on against the pies earlier in the year. I wouldn't have a problem with him being in our team come finals if he can maintain this form.

Me too, he seemed to lift the intensity of the cats when he came on and won some very crucial posessions.

I dont see why they couldnt have both in the same team, Christensen seems more of a midfielder than Stokes who is really a small forward that has been put in the middle.

I would say if Varcoe doesnt continue his new found form he may be the one to go out for Christensen.

Agree about Varcoe, if he continues with form he's ok, but its only 1 game, I see Christensen as a mid/forward but more in the Selwood mould than Varcoe.

Fair enough... and I agree Christensen is definitely a better option as a rotating mid - will be a gun! But for me, goal kicking is our biggest weakness so would pick Stokes ahead ATM, just more creative up forward.

Stokes is clearly in our best 18, name would not even be discussed at selection.

Byrnes, Duncan, Christensen and Varcoe will be fighting over two spots I feel, with Varcoe and Duncan ahead at this stage.

I'd like to see Christensen play every game between now and September, though I think he will just miss the finals, unless there is an injury.

Stokes is clearly in our best 18, name would not even be discussed at selection.

Byrnes, Duncan, Christensen and Varcoe will be fighting over two spots I feel, with Varcoe and Duncan ahead at this stage.

I'd like to see Christensen play every game between now and September, though I think he will just miss the finals, unless there is an injury.

Duncan's a different type altogether IMO, close to 190cms. the kids a gunn, as the saying goes!
To me he's a must for a flag shot this year!

And Christensen is better than the other two already!

I don't think all 3 will be there come finals. Stokes definitely will be.
I personally think, and HOPE that Christensen will be! He looks like a future star! Just hope he keeps getting games and that his body holds up.

Byrnes might be unlucky.

I don't think all 3 will be there come finals. Stokes definitely will be.
I personally think, and HOPE that Christensen will be! He looks like a future star! Just hope he keeps getting games and that his body holds up.

Byrnes might be unlucky.

Only as a sub .....

Bare in mind though that Christensen is too good to just be a forward. The boy is an extractor and can play as both inside/outside mid. Going to be a ripper!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duncan's a different type altogether IMO, close to 190cms. the kids a gunn, as the saying goes!
To me he's a must for a flag shot this year!

And Christensen is better than the other two already!

Stokes has been one of our best players this year.

I agree that Duncan should be played, however, it would not be unusual for a second year player to lose form late in the season.

He is playing on the wing and half forward, so if they opt for pace and tackling pressure, Byrnes could take his spot.

Injuries and form will dictate whether all 3 play in the same team come finals time.

All 3 could play in the same team.

Some reason I think that Bundy will make it - Menzel and Duncan too.

I suspect out of the 4 THunt might be under pressure - but may survive because he is a backman.

I like THunt - but think the other 3 newbies have more natural talent.

As for Byrnes - he may yet add something to the side. If he can use his pace to break lines and to bring down the opposition - he may yet make into the side.

Can someone tell me about Bundy's pace and elusiveness please ?

Ablett was quick - but not super quick - but just elusive and strong thru the hips - and so he could break lines and tackles. I hope Bundy can be a bit like that.

I could see Christenson & Stokes in the starting lineup with Byrnes as a sub but not all together starting in a finals side. Too small.

I'm not sure Duncan is a nailed on starter either.

FB: J.Hunt Lonergan Scarlett
HB: Enright Taylor Mackie
C: Kelly Bartel Varcoe
HF: Menzel Vardy Chapman
FF: S.J Podsiadly Stokes
R: Ottens Corey Selwood
Int: Milburn Ling ?

Can't see any of these bar J.Hunt being knocked out of the best 18 abd the last spot + sub is hotly contested. Any one of Wojak, T.Hunt, Christenson, Duncan & Byrnes could get them. At the moment you'd give it to Duncan with one of the others the sub but it's not a forgone conclusion IMO.

Christensen? I'm of the opinion he's a very special one, far to talented for AFL even now. What was it? 26/6, and 2 goals.

Just gotta be careful we look after him.

Christensen? I'm of the opinion he's a very special one, far to talented for AFL even now. What was it? 26/6, and 2 goals.

That you Rizzo?:D

He is going to be something special and I'm positive the club will manage him prudently. But I'm not quite sure what you mean by suggesting he's too good for the AFL.

Have to agree. I thought he was great against Adelaide. I personally think shagga is the one under pressure out of the three mentioned in the thread title.

Duncan and Menzel will play if fit IMO.

People need to STOP suggesting Duncan won't play! He MUST play finals in my opinion. He's a really really talented kid. People may have forgotten the things he's capable of due to Menzels flashiness over the past few weeks, but Duncan has been going along very nicely.

His work in the middle at times has been great, his kicking skills are excellent, and we've seen what he can do 1-out up forward. Is a definite LOCK IN for best 22 for mine.

Have to agree. I thought he was great against Adelaide. I personally think shagga is the one under pressure out of the three mentioned in the thread title.

Duncan and Menzel will play if fit IMO.

Duncan and Menzel, both around the 190cm, not really in this mix IMO, but Stokes, Byrnes, Christiansen and Varcoe are a group in themselves.
Also throw in Chapman, Small mids/forwards.
It's a very healthy looking group just at the minute
Just not sure how Scott will manage this brigade, seriously hope Travis has turned the corner after his great game.

Probably your're right about Byrnsey, but he can rip it up when the opprotunity arises so it'll be interesting.
I'm more worried bout our tall forwards or lack off.

We have to remember that it is highly unlikely that we will have our best 22 to choose from come finals, and it is also pretty unlikely that all these players pushing for this mid/forward role will be fit. If we do have to make a decision though i would probably envision our best 22 player for player looking something like this

Scarlett Lonergan J.Hunt
Enright Taylor Wojack/ T.Hunt
Mackie Bartel Corey
Johnson Pods Chapman
Menzel Vardy Stokes

r. Ottens Selwood Kelly

Int. Ling Duncan Christensen/Varcoe
Sub: Milburn.

I really can't see all three of those players mentioned in the same side. not because of structure but simply on individual merit. You would assume that Menzel is a walk up start now, Duncan has done enough and is such a useful kind of player.

I have really rated Josh Hunt this year, thought he has been very consistent and slots very nicely into the back line. I have him as an automatic selection in a star studded back line.

Taylor Hunt just misses out for mine, just don't rate him defensively or one on one, and some times i seriously question his decision making. He is just a kid and will only get better, but for me finals would expose him somewhat. That said, Wojcinski is a very hot/cold kind of player, he will have a game or a passage of play that make you feel like he is irreplaceable, but too often he just offers nothing.

I wouldn't want to see the both of them in the same team to be honest. Form/injury will dictate which is selected.

To me, Milburn is a no brainer as the sub, just because he always has an impact when he comes on and is very versatile. Not only that but he is an injection of leadership and can function both defensively and offensively.

One thing that is should be noted about our team this year is how insanely even we have been across the park, i think our b&f votes would never have been more tightly grouped.

Selecting a best 22 is painfully hard, the omissions i have made are of players i have tried in some way to squeeze into the team, there just simply are not enough positions on the ground. Injuries will make the selection process easier no doubt.

People need to STOP suggesting Duncan won't play! He MUST play finals in my opinion. He's a really really talented kid. People may have forgotten the things he's capable of due to Menzels flashiness over the past few weeks, but Duncan has been going along very nicely.

His work in the middle at times has been great, his kicking skills are excellent, and we've seen what he can do 1-out up forward. Is a definite LOCK IN for best 22 for mine.

I think the meaning of my post was misinterpreted, I am not suggesting that Duncan should not or will not play, I am just saying there is only so many spots for flankers and wingers (remembering we also have Johnson and Chapman who are untouchable). If Byrnes and Christensen wants to play they need to push these guys out.

Stokes is probably ranked the number one of these guys at the moment, Duncan second, Varcoe third, Christensen fourth and Byrnes (because of injury) fifth. It is a tough spot to hold onto.

Menzel is a bit safer because he plays deeper and is a marking target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we fit Stokes, Byrnes and Christensen in the same team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back