Captain: GAME OVER

Remove this Banner Ad

A little bird has whispered in Joffa's ear and the intials of our new Captain are JF

It could be the kiss of death to him, since Joffas call for Melbournes coach last season was off.:p

Not really, different guys will be given the captains job during the NAB games.
As MM said "Don't read anything into that"

I had heard the same from MM leading up to the game, but the way Eddie said it, it was almost as if it was an fait accompli and really made me notice his comments.

My two cents, from an outsiders perspective, from watching your team last year and especially in respect to the game on the weekend. Heath Shaw is the outstanding one in my mind. Those that you have discussed in here don't seem to be a leader to me.

Maxwell especially, I would compare him to Thompson for us, just gives away the silly free kick too often. Plus the dummy spits, while funny to watch are not what you want in a leader. Bassett for us used to have the best dummy spits, but since being a part of our leadership groups these have disappeared from his game as it was not appropriate for a leader.

i certainly dont bag him, but i personally would like to see the captain of the club be someone who puts his body on the line and makes that team lifting tackle, or takes a hit just like scotty burns does every week or even maxwell who would run intoa brickwall for the club.

Not saying josh doesnt do this but theres players like max and scotty who do it on a mopre consistent basis and can really get the team lifting when they do it.
name a ruckman that does it on a consistent basis? It's just not something a ruckman does all that often.

However I did enjoy that tackle he made on Barry in the elimination final, you could almost say it inspired the team and set our finals alight in 2007?

Josh Captain?

very interesting.

you trade your 1st round draft pick for Brisbanes 3rd string ruckman because your future captain isn't good enough to ruck.

hmmm
no, we traded for Wood because Josh has carried the ruck since he was 18.

Cox couldn't even do that.

I had heard the same from MM leading up to the game, but the way Eddie said it, it was almost as if it was an fait accompli and really made me notice his comments.

My two cents, from an outsiders perspective, from watching your team last year and especially in respect to the game on the weekend. Heath Shaw is the outstanding one in my mind. Those that you have discussed in here don't seem to be a leader to me.

Maxwell especially, I would compare him to Thompson for us, just gives away the silly free kick too often. Plus the dummy spits, while funny to watch are not what you want in a leader. Bassett for us used to have the best dummy spits, but since being a part of our leadership groups these have disappeared from his game as it was not appropriate for a leader.
Yes Heath Shaw does seem to be the most natural leader of the young players so far, with Sir Scott the pick if age wasn't an issue. I'd say it might be a bit early to comit to Shaw and it would be ideal to have Burns captain for the year or 2 he has left, so that a clear favourite is more likely to emerge. Other blokes like pendlebury, Thomas, even Clarke or others may emerge as natural leaders in this time. Actually I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Clark captain at some stage, has all the qualities plus a calm solid authority to his play, and will probably be an elite mid very soon.
It's been said that Maxwell woudl be risky since he might soon be a fringe player. the same argument can be applied to Josh, not because of ability but chronic injury. He needs at least a full season to show he's over his chronic problems before he should be considered for captaincy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Captain: GAME OVER

Remove this Banner Ad

Back