Senior List
Suspended
Feb 22, 2008
In my pants
AFL Club
Collingwood
Holland drops hint over Pies skipper

http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsid=55730

BRODIE HOLLAND has hinted Collingwood may have decided its captain for season 2008.
Holland told radio station SEN that Nick Maxwell and Josh Fraser sat either side of coach Mick Malthouse for the official team photo this week.
The captain and his deputy traditionally sit next to the senior coach in the photo, suggesting Maxwell and Fraser are vying for the prestigious honour at the Magpies.
"It will be interesting to see what happens, it's a tough call," Holland said.
Football operations manager Geoff Walsh confirmed Collingwood's captain will be announced soon.
"It could be as early as next week but maybe after the last practice match," Walsh said.
There is plenty of interest in who will captain Collingwood, with Nathan Buckley retiring last season after nine years in the role.
Sportsbet has suspended betting on the captaincy after punters laid heavily on Fraser, whose odds shortened from $5 to $1.80 more than a fortnight ago.
Fraser and Maxwell appear to have beaten Tarkyn Lockyer, who was the stand-in captain for the Magpies against Adelaide in their NAB Cup opener in Dubai, veteran Scott Burns and rising stars Scott Pendlebury and Heath Shaw.

i hope its not fraser... i want a tuff bloke as a captain and while 86 isnt no leigh mattews.... he goes in very hard and this is what is required as a leader...
alexander the great was always at the frontlines during battle...

also, still upset with josh fraser not playing finals... i know he was crook..but still not happy..

i hope its not fraser... i want a tuff bloke as a captain and while 86 isnt no leigh mattews.... he goes in very hard and this is what is required as a leader...
alexander the great was always at the frontlines during battle...

also, still upset with josh fraser not playing finals... i know he was crook..but still not happy..

Alexander the great was a ****. thats why he was at the front.

That made me laugh....
There is really no knowing how a player will react to such honors as Captaincy.
Fraser may surprise a lot of people if he is chosen...

The writing is on the wall. Although it can be argued, Fraser is the 'chosen one' and will captain our club with Maxwell as his deputy- unofficially of course.

Traditionally in team photos, the captain always sits to the right handside of the senior coach just as Fraser is, not the left as another poster said with Rocca.

The team photo sold it for me and quite frankly im excited with Josh leading us into the future- he was my first preference but I would have been happy and supportive of whoever had been given the gig.

Exciting times ahead.

Well if it comes down to fraser or Maxwell I would prefer Maxwell. A lot of very good captains are not always the most skillful player on the team but the guy that has the ability to lift his team with some hard nosed play when required. Maxwell is as tough as they get in our side, Fraser wont be able to physically lift the team with some extraordinary physical feat.
Maxwell was already in the leadership group so he obviously is not introverted and can get a message across.
It baffles me that people such as tony shaw say he wont be a regular member of our best 22, FFS who coming through has shown enough to seriously push him out?
With Wakes in his last lap and presti (maybe) likewise, Maxwell aint going anywhere. And besides his play merits selection week in, week out. .

Traditionally in team photos, the captain always sits to the right handside of the senior coach just as Fraser is, not the left as another poster said with Rocca.

That is false look on the 2007 team photo buckely is on malthouse left and he was the captain. which is where rocca was sitting and fraser on his right vice captain (clements old spot)

That is false look on the 2007 team photo buckely is on malthouse left and he was the captain. which is where rocca was sitting and fraser on his right vice captain (clements old spot)

Yehh you're right there but I'm positive the captain in most cases sits to the right hand side of the senior coach and the deputy either next to him or on the other side of the coach i.e Judd and Stevens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scotty Burns ahead of Maxwell. Frazer is soft and has been here for years now and still no results....Burns REALLY deserves this one and it will give nick a couple of seasons without pressure to get ready. The timing would be perfect and we would be rewarding a true legend of the club.

I can't believe how critical people are on here of Josh Fraser. The bloke has had absolutely no support for yonks and tries his friggen heart out for us every week yet even Pies supporters call him soft and a hack and sure, he has a disposition that can come across as meek, and a loping kind of run that may make him look lazy, but come on, you watch the matches don't you? The blokes a champ and we're lucky to have him resigned and committed.

Hopefully, with Cam Wood on board, we'll get to see Fraze stretch out a bit this year and become more flexible around the ground so he can show off his range of skills.

I'm not a big one for wild predictions that seem so popular on BF but if Josh can finish the season in our top 3 B&F we'll have a friggen good season, captian or not.

Also, I think too much importance is being placed on who is our captain. We have a definitive leadership group that incorporates all the fellas being mentioned as prospective captains who are all very influencial in the club and know their place. One of those blokes will be picked to do the interviews and go to the meetings but that doesn't devalue anyone. Lets just play some friggen footy as a team.

Scotty Burns ahead of Maxwell. Frazer is soft and has been here for years now and still no results....Burns REALLY deserves this one and it will give nick a couple of seasons without pressure to get ready. The timing would be perfect and we would be rewarding a true legend of the club.

Ludicrous!! Fair enough if you don't want him as captain and I'm in the same boat of wanting Sir Scott as captain for a year or so till others rise up but to suggest Josh is soft couldn't be further for the truth!! Have you not seen the amount of knocks he has taken over the years and still got up to play? The guys gets down and can rover his own ball. What about the times when he's thrown up because of a knock and still played on? Soft?!!!??? That is a joke.

I'd be very happy if Josh is named captain. He was always touted as being one for a very, very long time but my concern at this point in time is the fact he hasn't been able to get on the ground constistently which is why I'd prefer Scotty to take it on.

I can't believe how critical people are on here of Josh Fraser. The bloke has had absolutely no support for yonks and tries his friggen heart out for us every week yet even Pies supporters call him soft and a hack and sure, he has a disposition that can come across as meek, and a loping kind of run that may make him look lazy, but come on, you watch the matches don't you? The blokes a champ and we're lucky to have him resigned and committed.

Hopefully, with Cam Wood on board, we'll get to see Fraze stretch out a bit this year and become more flexible around the ground so he can show off his range of skills.

I'm not a big one for wild predictions that seem so popular on BF but if Josh can finish the season in our top 3 B&F we'll have a friggen good season, captian or not.

Also, I think too much importance is being placed on who is our captain. We have a definitive leadership group that incorporates all the fellas being mentioned as prospective captains who are all very influencial in the club and know their place. One of those blokes will be picked to do the interviews and go to the meetings but that doesn't devalue anyone. Lets just play some friggen footy as a team.

Agreed. Nothing worse when supporters become negative nancy's.

All the candidates are superb, we have an excellent leadership group and a very balanced club. Whom ever gets the position I shall be happy with, (particular if its Maxwell or Burnsy;)).

Im just excited about the new season starting!

-alexander might have been bi-sexual.. but when it comes to giving credit where it is due, he has no peers....
-and while we are on the topic there is no clear evidence to prove that he was having relationships with men... if u study many of the NON_GREEK historians that wrote books on alexander, those writers were actually gay.... THEY WERE GLORIFYING HOMOSEXUALITY..
so before u speak and do the research.. next u'll tell me alexander wasn't a greek macedonian either..

p.s i think big bucks has a crush on getsomenuts.. or maybe getsomenuts wants big bucks'.

If Alexander was a *** surely he would be coming from the rear...:D

i think josh could be in 2nd best ruckman in the comp... he has all the attributes requires adn can do with with some help.. he has been a very good player for us no doubt.. but i dont see fraser being able to inspire the boys either with deeds or words...

What a major shock it'd be if Rocca got the captaincy for a year or two until he retired as one of the younger stars developed their leadership skills :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Captain: It's Fraser or Maxwell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back