3kzisfootball

Debutant
Nov 28, 2005
Northcote
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I am writing this post in case some Carlton fans may help me with some information.

On January 6, a friend of mine was body surfing an Inverloch. It was not heavy surf, but unfortunately he caught a freak wave that dumped him on his head. He was unconscious, but fortunately as he was swimming with his children and some friends he was flipped over.

The bad news was that his spine was very badly injured. At this stage doctors think that he may be a quadriplegic for the rest of his life. However there is always hope that if he gets even a bit of movement he may regain something, and now is the time when the body will do so if he has ever a chance.

I got an email this morning from his wife that there was some small twitching in his arm and a leg. This is a crucial time psychologically for any recovery.

My friend has been an obsessive fan of Carlton since he was 9. One of his room is dedicated to a 'Carlton shrine' where he has all sorts of Carlton memorabilia you could imagine. I have fond memories of him and me barracking for Carlton in front of the Hawthorn Stand.

I was wondering whether I could approach the club and ask whether a card signed by players could be arranged because I think this will cheer him no end. Has anyone else done something similar? Do you know if the club does things like these?

Any information would be appreciated.

3kz that's very sad about your friend, all the best for the future :thumbsu:

Definitely contact the club about it, I know the players have pigeon holes and signing tables for things they need to do for the club. Give it a shot. I'm not sure who you'd ask but I'm sure someone even on the switch board could help.

If not, get yourself a big card and go down to training you could probably catch them arriving or leaving training and I'm sure they'd be happy to sign.

Good luck

Very sorry about your friend. It really is a terrible situation. I think that if you were to explain the situation to the club they would be more than willing to help you out.

Yep - call membership and see what they can do. Lots of new staff in place this year so be patient. There is also the past players assoc or you can just go to the club webpage and send through a note.
Training sessions are a good place to get a foot in the door
Busy as but if you have too many dramas let me know and the wablues will try to help out.

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. Will follow up!

Cheers

Good luck with it all mate and its admirable your going to do something that I hope assists in him having a speedy recovery.

Will mention it when we meet but the Vic boys must be the ones you hit sooner rather than later! we do things via Starlight foundation etc - I am sure they do the same!

Remove this Banner Ad

Card for seriously injured Carlton fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back