pickettline

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2002
Traralgon Vic Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
new york yankees
i would like to find out your opinions as to whether the crows draft selection of wayne carey and ronnie burns has been the success that the club had hoped for? both were virtually unsighted last night and i believe that their best performances are well and truly behind them.
i am a kangaroos supporter and it pains me to see carey playing like he is and not being able to do the things that he became famous for. i believe that burns is and always has been a selfish player who doesn't contribute very often.

roos to the fore in '04

Im happy with the way they both went this year.
Last night for instance probably typified Ronnies year - He tried bloody hard last night but just couldnt get into it.
I thought it was more the case of the ball not bouncing the right way for him last night.

For the games that Carey was on the park Id rate is performance as fair to good. It'll be interesting to see how he lines up for next year with another pre season up his sleeve. (Tailored with the benefit of hindsight)
Numbnut fools out there chopping down this tall poppy dont see past the season that was.

People have to remember its what these blokes do OFF of the park too;)

Happy would be a bit strong but they've done 'okay'.

It was Carey that got us over the line against Sydney, and he had a few other good games. Ronnie irritates me because he's got some amazing ball gathering skills, but his finishing so often lets him down.

Hopefully they will both deliver more next year.

Surely they were both chosen as a short term fix to try to get a flag with the current ageing group - they have come pretty close but no cigar. Maybe one more year to have a crack at it, but surely no more.

Pickettline:

We traded Vic kid Finnin for Burns and we got Torney as well as Carey as part of the deal which saw you get Wells and Richmond take Johnson of us...

It's not as bad as what some people want to make out:

Burns 18 games/23 goals

Carey 16 games/29 goals - and is our leading assists man

And who knows, they both may go around again next season... noone said they were going to be KEY players, they'd hopefully just be the final pieces of the Premiership puzzle.

We're around the mark, but not good enough yet.

Burns we virtually got as a freebie as Finan was unlikely to crack the Crows team. Has been inconsistent, but kicked some crucial goals at important times. Has added much needed forward crumbing depth to our squad, which is needed until the likes of Schuback become a regular member of starting line-up.

Carey has been a very handy contributor when he appears to be moving OK. My concern is that he has struggled to move OK for more than 2 consecutive games (only did so once this year that I can recall). I have maintained that we should get better value out of Carey in 2004, as he would have a year of playing under his belt & he will be more use to his team mates. Also, will find it easier with a fit Stevens in the side.

I'd like to see them both on the list for one more year. I think a good preseason wih out the change factor might make a difference. I hope neither are planning surgey - that often takes something away from making a presason as effective.

I'm not sure whether the decoy tactic used on Leppitsch re Carey was a good one, if indeed that was the case. He needs to be our goto man on more occasions. I dont think we got him in our side to be a decoy even though on the odd occasion it is a good move and has worked.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Carey has been a very handy contributor when he appears to be moving OK. My concern is that he has struggled to move OK for more than 2 consecutive games (only did so once this year that I can recall). I have maintained that we should get better value out of Carey in 2004, as he would have a year of playing under his belt & he will be more use to his team mates. Also, will find it easier with a fit Stevens in the side.

Kane,

If he stays on your list, does that mean you will change your name to Wayne McGoodwin? ;)

Originally posted by Magpira
Kane,

If he stays on your list, does that mean you will change your name to Wayne McGoodwin? ;)
As you are relatively new to the board, I will forgive you for asking that question, as I have answered it around a dozen times in the last year. ;)

In short, no!

If I can offer my totally unbiased view on things. This year is not really a good year to judge either of them.
Your problem this year has been your midfield. :eek:
Never more evident then in your game against Brisbane. That was a very winnable game until just before/just after 3/4 time.
I have said a number of times that your midfield is both your strength and your weakness. I have been blasted for saying that and probably will this time as well.

Your main ball "handlers" are Goodwin and Ricciuto. They both have a tendency to blast the ball into the forward line.
I don't follow the Crows, but I found Goodwin really annoying on Friday night. If I was a Crows supporter I'd be ****ed off with his efforts.
That is not good for Carey who cannot take overhead marks anymore. It is not good for Burns as he isn't a tall. Perrie tries when he is in the forward line, but he is more of a "on the Lead" type forward. Stevens is good, but would be even better with better delivery.

I think you have missed KJ more than a lot of people have been saying. You have lost that balance in your "engine room".
I know that you have McLeod, but (at least lately) he needs someone to get the ball for him before he can weave his magic.

Originally posted by PAfolwr
I think you have missed KJ more than a lot of people have been saying. You have lost that balance in your "engine room".
I'm not so sure. Burton stepped up this year and played that wingman role that Johnson used to play. Admittedly the Birdman's delivery isn't so great either.

Originally posted by DaveW
I'm not so sure. Burton stepped up this year and played that wingman role that Johnson used to play. Admittedly the Birdman's delivery isn't so great either.
Burton has always been a "goer". Good player that is even better when he doesn't try to think too much.
He is not quite the type of midfielder that Kane is. Totally different type of player. If anything he too adds to the crappy delivery into the forward line.

I just think that because of the way that the ball gets delivered into your forward line more often than not, your forwards get hard done.
Modra or Ablett in your forward line would be good at the moment.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
As you are relatively new to the board, I will forgive you for asking that question, as I have answered it around a dozen times in the last year. ;)

In short, no!

Oops :eek:

I'm actually not that new....I just lost my password for like a year LOL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with this PAfolwr. I really think we missed KJ's grunt and skill under pressure. He is more of a loss than a lot of us are willing to admit. Sad thing is we will feel his loss even more now that Bivkley has retired:(

Your problem this year has been your midfield. :eek:
Never more evident then in your game against Brisbane. That was a very winnable game until just before/just after 3/4 time.
I have said a number of times that your midfield is both your strength and your weakness. I have been blasted for saying that and probably will this time as well.
...<snip>...

Not by me.
It's been a problem since 1991!
Part of the problem is skill. Too many rainmakers. Too many sail over the leading forward's head.
The other part of the problem is the game plan. The Crows love winning contested possession and are very good at it (apart from the end of the year anyway). But the problem with this is that by definition you are under pressure when you dispose of it! Hardly conducive to good clean delivery inside 50.

We can work on the first.
The second could improve also, but this would require a fundamental change from the coach, something I don't think will occur.

Remove this Banner Ad

carey & burns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back