Carey Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by classicyds
What do we have without principles??? The AFL screw us and now the other clubs are joining in by downplaying Carey's value....okay let's look at it this way.....we didn't have hime this year and we had our principles and a hungry young side, so let's just sit back and let Carey go in the draft rather than be screwed by Adelaide.

I'd prefer to walk out of this with our heads high rather than accept a crappy deal.

We could have kept Wayne at the Roos and looked like a desperate souless club, instead we stuck to our principles.

I certainly don't want to "deal" with Carey and let him go to Adelaide at any price, I'd prefer he rotted at a lowly placed side and Adelaide and other club's got the message that we are "hard" both on and off the field.

Having said that, two first round draft picks would be reasonable; and I'm all for letting the other clubs fight for him.

Finally does anyone really believe Wayne when he says he won't play for any other club if he can't play for Adelaide.......PLEASE!!!

Go your hardest Wayne, sit out another season and more...because you ARE NOT in a position to threaten anyone!!!

you reckon we could employ you to do our dealings for us?

Finally does anyone really believe Wayne when he says he won't play for any other club if he can't play for Adelaide.......PLEASE!!!
Whether what you say is true or not is irrelevant, as most/all clubs wouldn't want to risk it, if Carey said to your clubs recruiting manager "I'll never play a game for you", do you really think they will select him?

I've just placed a post up on the crows area asking what the talk is around Adelaide way, it'll be interesting to hear what the rumours are over there.

Originally posted by Deestroy

Whether what you say is true or not is irrelevant, as most/all clubs wouldn't want to risk it, if Carey said to your clubs recruiting manager "I'll never play a game for you", do you really think they will select him?

Then he can retire with the lasting memory of the football world being his disgraceful exit from NMFC.

But it will not happen because No. 18 will be driven to redeem his name and reputation.

That means 2 top 10 picks and a young player.

Originally posted by Karanicolas

Then he can retire with the lasting memory of the football world being his disgraceful exit from NMFC.

But it will not happen because No. 18 will be driven to redeem his name and reputation.

Actually I'd say it would mean he will last until Adelaide's first pick in the pre-season draft.

Originally posted by Caaaarrrreeeyyy

Listen mate, I dont think you realise how much Wayne is worth.... If adelaide want him, they have to give up the goods, otherwise it's so long Wayne Carey from Adelaide and hello to the draft.........

If Kane is the midfielder u have been craving for years, I think it will be worth your while to give up ur first round draft pick....

The ball is in North Melbournes court mate, you outsiders (richmond) should be grateful that you might get a slice of the deal....

An Adelaide POV for you to consider: - the Carey deal has an exact parallel in the situation Adelaide had with Rehn two years ago. Similar age, similar credentials, similar concern over injury, similar prospect of perhaps two more good years of footy left in the player.

Adelaide traded with Hawks their first round pick in exchange for Rehn.

Adelaide would expect a similat exchange for Carey - a trade value of a first round draft pick.

No more.

If North expect more, and won't trade, and carey ends up in the draft ... then North get nothing. Zero.

I can't see any win for North there. North's best option is to trade with Adelaide for about the correct value of the Carey trade ... similar to the Rehn trade ... a first round draft pick.

I don't offer this as arguement ... I offer it only as an Adelaide point of view. Take it as you will.

Originally posted by ok.crows

An Adelaide POV for you to consider: - the Carey deal has an exact parallel in the situation Adelaide had with Rehn two years ago. Similar age, similar credentials, similar concern over injury, similar prospect of perhaps two more good years of footy left in the player.

Adelaide traded with Hawks their first round pick in exchange for Rehn.

Adelaide would expect a similat exchange for Carey - a trade value of a first round draft pick.

No more.

If North expect more, and won't trade, and carey ends up in the draft ... then North get nothing. Zero.

I can't see any win for North there. North's best option is to trade with Adelaide for about the correct value of the Carey trade ... similar to the Rehn trade ... a first round draft pick.

I don't offer this as arguement ... I offer it only as an Adelaide point of view. Take it as you will.

No, mate. We rather get nothing than get screwed. what you proposed is not a fair trade and you will feel you win out of the trade I am sure.

What do we have without principles??? The AFL screw us and now the other clubs are joining in by downplaying Carey's value...

I'd prefer to walk out of this with our heads high rather than accept a crappy deal.

I certainly don't want to "deal" with Carey and let him go to Adelaide at any price, I'd prefer he rotted at a lowly placed side and Adelaide and other club's got the message that we are "hard" both on and off the field.

Having said that, two first round draft picks would be reasonable; and I'm all for letting the other clubs fight for him.

I'd like a North fan's perspective on this viewpoint ... that Carey is worth in trade about the same as Rehn was worth to crows in trade two years ago.

Rehn was a champion with about two years left in him. Carey ... similar.

Rehn was clearly no longer going to play for Adelaide. Carey ... not going to play for North. And so on, the parallels are numerous.

Rehn was trade to Hawks for a first round pick. It seems to me anyway that the Carey trade should be done at similar value ... a first round draft pick. That seems to be the going rate for a fading champion.

Why wouldn't North do such a deal? It is better for North than a 'no deal' which see carey go into the draft, surely? Your views?

I'd like a North fan's perspective on this viewpoint ... that Carey is worth in trade about the same as Rehn was worth to crows in trade two years ago.

Rehn was a champion with about two years left in him. Carey ... similar.

Rehn was clearly no longer going to play for Adelaide. Carey ... not going to play for North. And so on, the parallels are numerous.

Rehn was trade to Hawks for a first round pick. It seems to me anyway that the Carey trade should be done at similar value ... a first round draft pick. That seems to be the going rate for a fading champion.

Why wouldn't North do such a deal? It is better for North than a 'no deal' which see carey go into the draft, surely? Your views?

Well, as most crow supporters pushing this idea, this means that the trade favors crows. So we don't like it. The key is we don't want get screwed.

Originally posted by hamstringinjury

No, mate. We rather get nothing than get screwed. what you proposed is not a fair trade and you will feel you win out of the trade I am sure.

OK, I understand that is your view, but you don't explain how you figure Carey is worth more than Rehn of two years ago.

I don't think you would be getting screwed by that at all, and I think you would well and truly screw your own club, and Adelaide, and carey, by insisting on more and failing to make a sensible deal (evaluated based on previous similar deals).

Why would you do that? Where is the profit? What the hell is in it for North to do anything other than a reasonable deal?

OK, I understand that is your view, but you don explain how you figure Carey is worth more than Rehn of two years ago.

I don't think you would be getting screwed by that at all, and I think you would well and truly screw your own club, and Adelaide, and carey, by insisting on more and failing to make a sensible deal (evaluated based on previous similar deals).

Why would you do that? Where is the profit? What the hell is in it for North to do anything other than a reasonable deal?

I think in the end, we will try to get the best trade we can, and mind you that other teams are bidding as well. If its only the 1st pick, then its up to the admin to decide. Which is more important, material or principle? Thats the question I think.

Originally posted by hamstringinjury

I think in the end, we will try to get the best trade we can, and mind you that other teams are bidding as well. If its only the 1st pick, then its up to the admin to decide. Which is more important, material or principle? Thats the question I think.

I would take priniciple with the Duck... If Adelaide want him... they know he aint gunna come cheap...

It is their call... not ours...

they either pay a fair and reasonable price (2 first round selctions) or they miss the chance to capitalise on their current midfield strength...

btw... how many times had Rehn fu(ked his knee when he was traded to Hawthorn... the only club that wanted him... there is two differences for ok.crows.

i don't hold the view that rehn and carey are of approximately the same value at similar stages of their career. did you see carey this preseason? he looked fit and ready to play. rehn had had atleast two knee reconstructions in recent years and it was a question of how long before he does it again. carey looks like he will contribute alot more than rehn. adelaide certainly need a class forward even more than hawthorn needed a ruckman. if rehn was worth a first round pick then surely carey is worth more than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Karanicolas

I would say that trade is about right IF ... he wasn't going to leave but just put up for trade in another situation. You will do good to get a first rounder and a good young player but the second first rounder - I'm not sure you'll get it.

Originally posted by Captain

Tigerbob, the issue we (North members) have is 2 late picks in a weak draft are not compansation for one of the all time greats of the game. In your senerio Richmond and the Crows both come out very nicely but North pick up "at best" two very average players.

That's a bit harsh. At best two ver average players. Where do you think all the superstars of today come from? Yes the draft. A lot of the great players come later in the draft so as long as you have the right management and develop them well, they're going to be a bit better than "very average".

OK, I understand that is your view, but you don't explain how you figure Carey is worth more than Rehn of two years ago.

Rehn had two knee reconstructions, so there was always a big risk that he would break down. I though the Crows did very well to get a first round pick out of the Hawks for him.

Carey, whilst he has had a series of soft tissue injuries over the last couple of years, his injuries can be managed (just don't play him a CHF all the time) and his body has had a year to recover. There would be less risk associated with taking him on.

First round pick is the absolute minimum, but I'd look for getting another draft pick or a young player thrown in as well.

Carey is worth a LOT more than Rehn of two years ago.

Rehn was a very good ruckman, but still overrated by many. i still shake my head at the fact that he was in the best team of 'the last 25 years' when they announced the Team of the Century in a few years ago, and also that he was on the selection panel that chose that team.

Fact is you are talking about possibly the best ever, (if not, then in the top 5) against a player that may scrape into the top fifty ever (if very lucky). And the latter had two knee constructions!!

Doesn't seem like much of a parallel to me. You can't honestly say the situation is the same, because if you offered Rehn of two years ago for Carey now, i would laugh in your face.

Originally posted by kelman

Carey is worth a LOT more than Rehn of two years ago.

Rehn was a very good ruckman, but still overrated by many. i still shake my head at the fact that he was in the best team of 'the last 25 years' when they announced the Team of the Century in a few years ago, and also that he was on the selection panel that chose that team.

Fact is you are talking about possibly the best ever, (if not, then in the top 5) against a player that may scrape into the top fifty ever (if very lucky). And the latter had two knee constructions!!

Doesn't seem like much of a parallel to me. You can't honestly say the situation is the same, because if you offered Rehn of two years ago for Carey now, i would laugh in your face.

The 'best ever' and/or 'top fifty' rankings you give here may or may not be realistic, but that is hardly the point. Rhen was clearly not in 'best 50' condition at the time of his trade, but then again Carey is not the 'best ever' player in terms of his form right now.

The history of these players is immaterial, we are taliking about their value in a trade deal ... so only their form and years left at the time of the trade is relevant.

At the time of his trade, Carey has no form at all, he has had a year off.

Very similar in terms of trade value, these two, IMO. Both had even nominated the club they wanted to go to before the trade was done. Both had/have maybe two years left to play. Both could fill a key spot for the club they were going to for perhaps two years.

Their histories are very relevant.
It tells you that one player is MUCH better than the other.

As shinboners pointed out, there is a big difference between soft tissue injuries and one knee construction, let alone two.

It was widely acknowledged that carey's injury concerns befoe this year were due largely to the wear of constant football. A year off will largely remedy that.

I notice that you have mentioned this comparison several times on several boards, but it is just not realistic. The only parallels are that they both wanted to leave, and nominated the club they were going to.

To prove to yourself how far apart the worth of these players are, ask yourself just how quickly you would trade rhen of two years ago for Carey now....?

Is it starting to sink in......?

Carey has no injuries likely to affect his playing future, and has had a year off to rest the OP, niggles etc. I see no reason, barrign further injuries that he can't play the same sort of game he did for the Roos. Rehn was on his third or fourth knee, and was never going to be the same player he was. Big difference there.

Also the draft this year is far worse than any of the previous two years. It has been said that a number seven pick this year is worth a second round pick from last year. Number 14 by itself is a possibility of a half decent player, and as far as I am concerned is not worth being walked over for.

Moomba

Originally posted by kelman
Their histories are very relevant.
It tells you that one player is MUCH better than the other.

As shinboners pointed out, there is a big difference between soft tissue injuries and one knee construction, let alone two.

It was widely acknowledged that carey's injury concerns befoe this year were due largely to the wear of constant football. A year off will largely remedy that.

I notice that you have mentioned this comparison several times on several boards, but it is just not realistic. The only parallels are that they both wanted to leave, and nominated the club they were going to.

To prove to yourself how far apart the worth of these players are, ask yourself just how quickly you would trade rhen of two years ago for Carey now....?

Is it starting to sink in......?

The reason I posted on this board was to get a Roos fan viewpoint. I have got that pretty loud & clear ... champions who played with Roos are better by many times champions who played for other clubs apparently.

Given the adulation that the media went into over Carey and the silence the Melbourne media tend to have over champion players at other clubs this is not surprising, but I see it as hardly relevant to the discussion really (sorry, but that is how I see it).

What we are trying to determine is what Carey is worth in trade right now.

Clearly his past achievements with North are going to have too much influence over North fans view of Carey's worth that will colour their assesment of Carey's worth in trade now.

Not surprising I suppose, but it does give one cause for worry that any sort of reasonable deal can in fact be struck. The only hope is that North administrators are more reasonable than North fans.

I can forsee the trade stalling however, and perhaps Carey ending up in the draft as a consequence. That outcome would leave Carey, Adelaide and North all being dudded by this unrealism.

And that would be such a pity, IMO.

Originally posted by Deestroy

Actually I'd say it would mean he will last until Adelaide's first pick in the pre-season draft.

If we can't deal with the Crows we will trade him to Essendon and they can deal with the Crows. Or If he goes into the draft someone will pick him up and they will deal with the Crows, either way the Crows will have to make a deal if they want him. Personal I don't care which way it happens as long as we don't just let the Crows screw us.
We have nothing to lose but our dignity and that will only happen if we let it, Stand strong.

Originally posted by Rooboy 96

where as the Crows have the chance of premiership success to lose...

I am sorry but one player does not cost you a Premiership

That might be North's attitude but it is certainly not ours.

Clearly no-one has any real idea what the deal will or will not be and we are all speaking from what we want/hope it will be

Administrartors tend to be more realistic than supporters.

Lets just wait and see.

interesting topic guys..!!!!

just one query though, does everyone think that Carey will have just as much impact on the game after being out of the game for a season...most players at his age seem to struggle to re-capture the same heights as they used to have..!!

cheers

mac

Remove this Banner Ad

Carey Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back