Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who might be undecided about whether Champion Data is data collection gone mad (aka whack jobs) needs to have a look at their top 10 listed players after round 16 that they released today.

No Carlton players in the top 10. No Patrick Cripps. However there us space in there for the likes of Dan Houston and Bailey Dale.

Spare me.

Anyone who might be undecided about whether Champion Data is data collection gone mad (aka whack jobs) needs to have a look at their top 10 listed players after round 16 that they released today.

No Carlton players in the top 10. No Patrick Cripps. However there us space in there for the likes of Dan Houston and Bailey Dale.

Spare me.
They are obsessed with Dan Houston. He's been their best half back for years now. Never seen him impact a contest defensively in my life.

They are obsessed with Dan Houston. He's been their best half back for years now. Never seen him impact a contest defensively in my life.
You could offer me five Dan Houston's in exchange for Patrick Cripps and I would laugh in your face.

And yet champion data have Dan Houston as a top 10 player and Patrick cripps not a top 10 player.

😃

I thought it was based on ranking in offence and defence. Which is a bit different to %.

Our position clearly pulled down by teams scoring heavily against us during injury crisis.
Yeah, it's basic analysis at it's best (or worst).
Two axis points; points for and points against
Plot where each team sits in both
Only those who sit top 6 in both are considered 'in the window', regardless of where they sit on the ladder, current form, or who those games have been against. No consideration for teams that lead the league, or rated highly in specific metrics.

Something a high school student might do for a math assignment.

I'd take 4 Dan Houstons & we keep Crippa.. can we get a deal like that done?

No.

Because I can’t see 4 players from our list we would have to get rid of for the list spots needed for 4 Dan Houston’s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney are miles out in front, but interestingly, in the past 34 seasons (from 1990), the minor premier has only won the flag 12 times (although 3 from 3 in the past 3 years).
You're almost twice as likely to finish either runner up or 3rd (22 times) if you end the season on top of the ladder.
Swans can keep the favourite status as far as I'm concerned.
It's still resulted in more premiers than any other spot on the ladder, marginally better than 2nd and 3rd. Historically, if you're not top 3, you're not winning it.

I thought it was based on ranking in offence and defence. Which is a bit different to %.

Our position clearly pulled down by teams scoring heavily against us during injury crisis.
Slightly different but effectively same as defence. Top 6 in either category is fairly generous.

If you assume there's 3 teams that meet the criteria each year, it's no better a measure for premiership success than finishing top 3 on the ladder.

It's still resulted in more premiers than any other spot on the ladder, marginally better than 2nd and 3rd. Historically, if you're not top 3, you're not winning it.
Yes, top 3 is the best place to be, but it heavily favoured top spot a LONG time ago, which skews the stats.
In the modern era, you're more likely to lose from 1st, although statistically slightly better than 2nd.

Premiers from 1st since 1990 - 12 from 34 (35.3%)

1st - 12 wins
2nd - 11 wins
3rd - 7 wins
4th - 2 wins
5th - 1 win
6th - 0 wins
7th - 1 win
8th - 0 wins

Premiers from 1st prior to 1990 - 55 from 93 seasons (59.1%)
The minor prems came runner up 29 times, so top spot pretty much guaranteed a grand final berth back then, with only 9 minor premiers failing to make the grand final in 93 seasons (90% rate for GF appearance - 65% chance of winning).
By comparison, the minor prem has failed to make the grand final 8 times in the past 34 seasons (76% chance of GF appearance - 46% chance of winning).

The odds certainly don't favour 1st like they used to.

Yes, top 3 is the best place to be, but it heavily favoured top spot a LONG time ago, which skews the stats.
In the modern era, you're more likely to lose from 1st, although statistically slightly better than 2nd.

Premiers from 1st since 1990 - 12 from 34 (35.3%)

1st - 12 wins
2nd - 11 wins
3rd - 7 wins
4th - 2 wins
5th - 1 win
6th - 0 wins
7th - 1 win
8th - 0 wins

Premiers from 1st prior to 1990 - 55 from 93 seasons (59.1%)
The minor prems came runner up 29 times, so top spot pretty much guaranteed a grand final berth back then, with only 9 minor premiers failing to make the grand final in 93 seasons (90% rate for GF appearance - 65% chance of winning).
By comparison, the minor prem has failed to make the grand final 8 times in the past 34 seasons (76% chance of GF appearance - 46% chance of winning).

The odds certainly don't favour 1st like they used to.
It'd be interesting to factor in where the minor premier was an interstate side, who ends up losing to a Victorian side in the Grand Final. I'd bet that's a fair few examples.

Houston is playing the same role as Nic Newman. Get easy ball off HB. The player rating system punishes players making mistakes and therefore undervalues contested players.
It also simply doesn't handle defenders well. First job is to defend your opponent but generally there's minimal weighting given to the performance of their opponents as that level of analysis is extremely involved and they favour clickable faster 'analysis' than that. So they measure in one percenters and one on one contests and things. But they don't measure if you completely blanket your opponent so well in a pocket that no one ever kicks it near you like Newman has done to a few opponents in the past. Eg one of the games Toby only touched it 4 times.

It also simply doesn't handle defenders well. First job is to defend your opponent but generally there's minimal weighting given to the performance of their opponents as that level of analysis is extremely involved and they favour clickable faster 'analysis' than that. So they measure in one percenters and one on one contests and things. But they don't measure if you completely blanket your opponent so well in a pocket that no one ever kicks it near you like Newman has done to a few opponents in the past. Eg one of the games Toby only touched it 4 times.
Agreed. Saad is easily the best small defender in the league. CD ratings and AA team selections are for interceptors and distributers.

Jordan Lewis is on "on the coach". Starts off by complimenting us in a round about way. States how good our list, how many highly ranked players we gave etc.

Then frames it as 'will Carlton be deemed as a failure if they don't win a flag in the next few years".
What part of saying we will have under achieved if we don’t win a premiership in the next few years do you disagree with?

I’m a cynic of these media personalities like brown, Lewis,

They don’t write the script or the message they just deliver it in their own mumbled, incoherent words.

But…. I’ve seen enough of the Fox and CH7 narrative over the last few years to know that they peddle whatever will crest a big story/headline.

What I find distasteful about what Lewis said is that we have only this year entered “our window” and even that was being questioned when we sitting just in the fringe of the 8 six weeks ago.

To now be saying that we could potentially fritter away our “golden opportunity “ if we don’t win the flag in the next 2 years is sensationalist garbage!!!

All designed to create the narrative that we are at risk of being a flaming plane crash into oblivion.

This is created to intensify pressure on the club/team through heightening the risk of failure and need for immediate success.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m not sure how we have only entered our window this year, coming off a prelim loss of 14 points last year and choking the last 4 rounds to miss finals in 2022.

Regardless of when our window opened, I agree 2 years is tight and we should be challenging for quite a few more

If after this season and the next two, we haven’t won a premiership, then Lewis is right, we have underachieved, I have no idea how this opinion is criticised or even remotely offensive to any Carlton supporter.

Interesting paragraph from the drug supporting journalist Connolly:

He is of course referring to rounds 2 and 3 of that season - then next minute in round 4 a team we had beaten by nearly 11 goals in the elimination final of 2011 somehow managed to beat us by 5 goals 6 months later.

Wonder how that happened?
Also, while it's strictly true that our run of two consecutive 10-goal margins is the first in a long time, we won by 59 points and 60 points back-to-back last year, and had 5 weeks in a row of 50+ wins.

Fairly accurate obviously. They dont mention that there were 2 years teams have won whilst not being in their demographic. They don't tell us who but my guess would be dogs 2016 and dees 2021?
They mention it nearly every time they show it, they then mention the teams who weren’t in the top right of the graphic were all above the line.

As in all had a top 6 defence.

Currently we would have to buck the trend of the past 18 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back