Opinion Carlton Leadership 2022 (and - sole captain or co-captains?)

Should we have a single captain, or co-captains??

• 1 captain

Votes: 47 95.9%
  • Co-Captains

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Many will disagree, but I have no issue with co-captains.

For 2022 though I would go with Cripps as sole captain. Weitering and Walsh as vice captains.
Me too. Seems logical. Wouldn’t mind a forwards leaders, maybe Jack S. Leadership group of 5 with Ed Curnow as the other.

Maybe you see leadership differently than I see it. From what I’ve seen he’s been the biggest improver at the club and he’s only going to get better. He has a big presence about him and he doesn’t get into any trouble outside of the field.

I think he’s greatly under appreciated at the club. He’s already an all Australian and a Coleman medalist so he already knows what it’s like to be an elite player. Some people need added responsibility to truly feel valued at the club and I think a leadership role would benefit not only him but the club in general.
So let’s just let him consolidate that for a while. Dunstall wasn’t captain until much later in his career yet he oozed composure and leadership and is clearly a quality communicator. Many other examples.

If Cripps wants to stay captain maybe don’t just walk off the field like he did round 23. Wanna see a bit more leadership than that

Maybe you see leadership differently than I see it. From what I’ve seen he’s been the biggest improver at the club and he’s only going to get better. He has a big presence about him and he doesn’t get into any trouble outside of the field.

I think he’s greatly under appreciated at the club. He’s already an all Australian and a Coleman medalist so he already knows what it’s like to be an elite player. Some people need added responsibility to truly feel valued at the club and I think a leadership role would benefit not only him but the club in general.
Respectfully, I don't see anything you've outlined as being reflective of strong leadership credentials. (To each their own)
He's supremely talented but I think he's just scratching the surface of his potential particularly when it comes to workrate and attacking the ball, with that in mind, I'd have plenty ahead of him in a leadership capacity even if he is arguably the most talented player on our list

Last edited:
I automatically ticked the single captain box, but upon reflection the two young leaders at the club, Walsh and Weiters should simply be made the new Co-Captains. I don't think we rely on Crippa as much as we did, and believe the Two W's are firmly the future, so like we did with Sticks when he landed in '86, appoint the next generation, at least this time we know exactly what we have, a rolled gold future multiple Brownlow medalist, and the lock for All Australian Full Back for the next decade....

I may be way off of course but I see it this way:
Weitering is a good pro & will never waiver in his professionalism. To me he makes a perfect VC.
Walsh can be our Selwood in terms of setting the tone, he seems more comfortable in being the person leading from the front, on field he will overlap with forwards & defenders so can get around the squad more easily to provide a pat on the back or foot up the arse as required.

Last edited:
My belief is that the best Captains (and Coaches), have generally (Matthews & Blight aside) been defenders and or defensively minded mids.

Nowadays it is more about the collective
Carey, Sticks and Hird were outstanding captains of highly successful sides but otherwise I agree with your comment.

I'm so glad we have gone to one captain, always hated dual captains. Should always be one captain and one or two vice captains or a vice and deputy vice.

Voss needs Cripps to be vocal and reiterate his message and enforce the way he wants the team to play. The vice captains need to backup the captain's message and the coach's message and push that at training and on the field. The rest of the leadership group need to enforce the message coming from the coach, captain and vice captains etc.

I'm so glad we have gone to one captain, always hated dual captains. Should always be one captain and one or two vice captains or a vice and deputy vice.

Voss needs Cripps to be vocal and reiterate his message and enforce the way he wants the team to play. The vice captains need to backup the captain's message and the coach's message and push that at training and on the field. The rest of the leadership group need to enforce the message coming from the coach, captain and vice captains etc.
This makes sense to me... Companies don't have 2 CEOs... This is not to disrespect what has gone before, but I like the simplification in lines of communication...

The question for me is who else in the leadership group (and aligned with that, how are they selected)? I am guessing, player vote is significant.

For me, number one in leadership group (after Cripps, Weitering and Walsh) is JSOS. He gives 100% effort 100% time. I'd love to see him in that role. For me, he is a best 22 player because of his effort and versatility and heart and passion.

After that, a case can be made for a number of others. Ed and Doc for experience, maturity, and soul. Williams has shown leadership in his indigenous voice (clear and inclusive), as also Saad in the multicultural space. And they both have a lot to offer on-field. I also love the way McKay and De Konig have progressed, and from my perspective I believe they have grown in that public speaking space (and I love to see that extra effort Harry has gone to with a running coach). And then one could make a case for others like Stocker, Cerra, Kemp, etc.

For me, it's captain Cripps, vice-captains Weitering and Walsh, leadership group Silvagni and 2 others... And if there was a poll for this, at this moment I'd probably select McKay and Cerra...

You don't need to be a captain to be a leader, and you don't need a title to be inspiring.

It is such a piece of shit that Doc hasn't been able to take the field as captain for any period of time, shit that we've not seen the player he was 3 years ago. But if someone needs the title, give it to Sam Walsh or Jacob Weitering.

Cripps can lead without the title, and needs to rediscover a level of unselfishness in his game again.

You don't need to be a captain to be a leader, and you don't need a title to be inspiring.

It is such a piece of sh*t that Doc hasn't been able to take the field as captain for any period of time, sh*t that we've not seen the player he was 3 years ago. But if someone needs the title, give it to Sam Walsh or Jacob Weitering.

Cripps can lead without the title, and needs to rediscover a level of unselfishness in his game again.
In theory yes
But you can't have a named leader(captain) and then have another as the unofficial one.
Not sure about selfish..more like trying too hard to show the way and ending up stuffing up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In theory yes
But you can't have a named leader(captain) and then have another as the unofficial one.
Why?
Judd-Cousins
Maxwell/Swan/Pendlebury
Mitchell-Hodge
The eleventy-six different co-captains Sydney has had for the last 12 years.
Harley-Abblett-Bartel

Why can't you have both a named captain and a spiritual leader onfield? Why can you not have a leader and a captain?
Are all the games Cripps played with Doc as captain suddenly less inspirational because he lacked the C beside his name?

There are 22 players in an AFL team. Captains and captaincy plays less of a role than it used to, both due to the distributed nature of leadership in an AFL team and because realistically 1 player cannot win you a game anymore, if they ever could.
Not sure about selfish..more like trying too hard to show the way and ending up stuffing up.
... that describes a player who is still being selfish, whether positively or negatively.

Somewhat, in fact mostly.

But would the CEO be the Coach or Captain?

Coach - Someone with the Vision/Strategy (gameplan/tactics, etc)?

Captain/Leaders - Drive the above?
Why stop there? Why would the CEO not just be the CEO? The board the board?

Williams being the Acting Director? The coach being the most senior line manager? The leadership group and the captain being what?

I need someone more involved with a business to make this metaphor fit for me, and if they could also answer a question it'd be great.

To what extent is it a metaphor versus running (my fingers wanted to type ruining there, which is purely coincidental I'm sure) a football club as a business or viewing one through that lens? Is it a useful way to look at a football club, or is it merely further need for business to stretch out its odious tendrils into every aspect of human affairs?

Why?
Judd-Cousins
Maxwell/Swan/Pendlebury
Mitchell-Hodge
Harley-Abblett-Bartel

Why can't you have both a named captain and a spiritual leader onfield? Why can you not have a leader and a captain?
Are all the games Cripps played with Doc as captain suddenly less inspirational because he lacked the C beside his name?

There are 22 players in an AFL team. Captains and captaincy plays less of a role than it used to, both due to the distributed nature of leadership in an AFL team and because realistically 1 player cannot win you a game anymore, if they ever could.

... that describes a player who is still being selfish, whether positively or negatively.
...and it's not like rugby where the captain has the sole responsibility on-field of making game-defining decisions like kicking for goal (low risk, low reward) or kicking for touch (high risk, high reward) after a penalty.

Why?
Judd-Cousins
Maxwell/Swan/Pendlebury
Mitchell-Hodge
Harley-Abblett-Bartel

All sound points. But not really the same thing I was talking about.
But deep down I dont think it matters to be honest.
All that matters is what each player does when its their turn.
If 22 players do their best then the one with the C word looks good.

As I think most expected for these positions... And is this it for the official 'leadership group'? That's the way I read it...

Looks like it. Interesting that one of the best captains in history doesn't see the need for the broader leadership group instituted by most clubs.

Looks like it. Interesting that one of the best captains in history doesn't see the need for the broader leadership group instituted by most clubs.
If so, despite being a bit of a paradigm shift, I actually don't mind it. Weitering and Walsh carry weight, and so not too many voices on field gives simplicity of messaging. But it does add a weight of responsibility off field...

Back