Game Day Carlton V Collingwood at Ikon Park, Sunday 9 January, 4.10 Watch on Ch7, Kayo, Fox or AFLW/AFL site

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So happy to see some AFL footy.

Preview by https://www.womens.afl/news/78663/full-aflw-r1-preview-footy-s-back-with-blockbusters-galore
  • Carlton's focal point up forward will dictate its method of attack. Recruits Jess Good and Imogen Milford have the skills to be big key forward targets for the talented Darcy Vescio, Nicola Stevens and Georgia Gee to work off, but it would be a baptism by fire against a tough Collingwood backline. The Blues just need to equal the aerial ball so the ground-level players can get to work.
  • The rebounding game of both sides will play a big part in the result of this game. Carlton's defence is spearheaded by captain Kerryn Harrington who is one of the best ball-users in the competition (averaging 80 per cent disposal efficiency over the last two seasons), while the breakthrough of Ruby Schleicher last year saw a change in how the Pies chose to exit defence, running the ball more often than the usual long kick out of Stacey Livingstone.
  • Tip: While the Blues will be looking to rectify their poor start to last year's season, Collingwood has top-level talent on every line and should be able to get the job done for the third time running. Pies by 10 points.

COLLINGWOOD co-captain Steph Chiocci has her eyes set firmly on Carlton ahead of their "refreshing" round one timeslot.

Playing on Sunday afternoon rather than in the traditional season-opener, the Pies and Blues will add another chapter to their storied rivalry that launched the NAB AFLW competition back in 2017.

It is a rivalry built on physical contests, banter and mutual respect.

"It's always a tough game, it's always really hotly contested early, and it's an absolute ripper," Chiocci said of the battle.

This time around, however, inaugural Blue Alison Downie will be lining up in the black and white, filling the gap created by Sharni Norder's retirement.

Acknowledging Downie's long career in footy, Chiocci believes the recruit will only strengthen their first-class midfield, giving the likes of Brianna Davey, Jaimee Lambert and Britt Bonnici first use more often than not.

Chiocci also told fans to keep an eye on Tarni Brown as she comes into her second season. Thanks to her agility and drive, Brown offers the Pies more midfield balance.

"Tarni's matured a little bit, and just the way she's moving at training, I think she's ready to take herself to another level. She just gets in there and does what she needs to do, and I think that gives us a breath of fresh air," she said.

Another recruit set to make some waves is key forward Sabrina Frederick.

Chiocci believes Frederick's addition to their forward setup will offer "a bit of reprieve" for the likes of Sophie Alexander and spearhead Chloe Molloy.

After the club's season ended in preliminary final week against eventual premier Brisbane, Chiocci takes a balanced mindset into 2022.

"I'd be lying if I said it didn't hurt, it certainly didn't hurt at the time. I think it is true, there's that burning desire to go one step further, or at least have a crack at the Grand Final," said Chiocci.

"But at the end of the day, it's a fresh start."

Team List:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BStacey LivingstoneSoph Casey
HBRuby SchleicherLauren ButlerJordyn Allen
CSteph ChiocciBrianna DaveySarah Rowe
HFAishling SheridanSophie AlexanderEloise Chaston
FChloe MolloySabrina Frederick
RAlison DownieBrittany BonniciJaimee Lambert
INTEliza JamesMikala CannTarni Brown
Ebony O'DeaErica Fowler
EMERGAmelia VelardoAleisha Newman

NEW: Eloise Chaston (debut), Eliza James (debut), Sabrina Frederick (Richmond), Alison Downie (Carlton)

Stoked for both girls. They’ve worked super hard in pre season.
Feel for ports. But she’s such a defensive player and her disposal has hurt us in the past. she’ll get her chance.
Was thinking Velado would get a look. Super athlete. But still raw in AFL terms. Her VFL was impressive. Looking forward to seeing how they go. That’s a pretty strong team.
Also can’t wait to see how tarni goes. She looks noticeably stronger and she had a great season last year, so hoping she can build on that.
Barnett is depth at this stage I fee they’ll throw her back if we lack depth in that area. It’s a good sign when good players are being left out!!!

It's a strong looking side, despite no Brazill or Porter, and Newman unable to get a game. Good to see Allen and Butler back in defence as well.
Our midfield looks very strong, so l would expect them to dominate tomorrow and lead us to a win.
Looking forward to watching how Sabrina Frederick and Eloise Chaston in particular go tomorrow, and goodluck to all the ladies playing their first game for the Pies tomorrow.

Great to see Butler and Allen back into that backline.
It looks very strong and creative.
Forward line obviously is a work in progress, I hope Sabrina can help get things rolling this year.
Go pies.

Mostly Carlton supporters where I’m sitting. Not good for my mental health.☹
Sorry I couldn't be there. See if Jen is around to keep you company.
Gave my tickets to grandchildren, they are there for me.:)

Sorry I couldn't be there. See if Jen is around to keep you company.
Gave my tickets to grandchildren, they are there for me.:)

And sadly they’ve all got little kids and babies with them, decked out in navy blue. I despair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back