Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 2, 2005
Pong clique
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fenerbahçe SK Posts: 1021
The AFL is desprate for a big crowd, so they've been sending out family tickets to the Carrara game priced at 20 odd dollars.

Great that those in the Gold Coast get to see a footy match live for 5 dollars a head, whilst us in Melbourne have to pay $50 to see the footy.

Meh, guess it's better then them handing out free tickets like they did at the last game.

Once again, how terrible it is of the AFL to try and develop a new market?

You are not going to develop the market giving away dirt cheap tickets, they are cheap enough as it is. To develop the market will take many years of grass roots development.

They just want to get a big crowd for the sake of getting a big crowd to try and make the market look like it is ready for a team to go there in the short-term. In essence, they are paying for false advertising.

That is money they are not returning to all the 16 clubs.

• Banned
Once again, how terrible it is of the AFL to try and develop a new market?

It is terrible, seeing that the AFL said that if the Gold Coast wants a footy team, they need to turn up in big numbers this week.

Then they undercut ticket prices to achieve this. It's a self saucing pudding.

AFL are doing..............try before you buy.........type thing.

Get the families in cheap to start with and then in the future the kids ask the parents about going to the footy again......

Like any kind of promotion, free promotion, cheaper price. Same same.

Like any kind of promotion, free promotion, cheaper price. Same same.

Exactly, they gave heaps of free 18 pack Coke Zero to people across the country (before the official release) to promote it by word of mouth, it bloody well worked and now Coke Zero seems almost as popular as the real thing.

What exactly is wrong with trying to get a big crowd? They do it sometimes for NRL games and even other AFL games.

So Kangas supporters would be happy to see the experiment on the GC fall flat? So they can go back to Melbourne and fight from the scraps of the big boys table? Fair enough, and good luck to them.
I could not give a stuff what happens to the experiment. We are getting $400k a game rain hail or shine for 3 years. If no one turns up all the better - less heat on us to move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Kangas supporters would be happy to see the experiment on the GC fall flat? So they can go back to Melbourne and fight from the scraps of the big boys table? Fair enough, and good luck to them.

GC isn't an experiment, it is playing games in a development area. Our club gets the same amount of money irrespective if nobody shows up or it is a full house so the club is not concerned either way, however, the club is doing everything to promote the game on the GC because we benefit indirectly from support such as those who buy memberships, merchanidse, sponsorship, etc.

However, as has been said earlier, the AFL have said that Carrara has to sell out the games for them to guarantee a team by 2010, one way or another, and are more or less making sure they sell out by giving away tickets for peanuts.

You can't put down an ultimatum and then turn around and fudge the numbers. If GC is not ready for a team until 2020 or 2030 then we should be aware of that rather than see the AFL waste money getting into a peeing contest with the NRL, who have legitimate support there.

I love when people come out with claims that have not been proven and then everyone takes them as gospel.

I ask everyone that has posted in this thread, why do you believe these claims when they have been nothing more then a claim from a Kangas supporter with an agenda. Sometimes you guys really need to think about things before posting garbage.:thumbsdown:

Lets just hope that the Gold Coast gets behind the AFL there and adds to the already massive support the game gets Australia wide

I love when people come out with claims that have not been proven and then everyone takes them as gospel.

I ask everyone that has posted in this thread, why do you believe these claims when they have been nothing more then a claim from a Kangas supporter with an agenda. Sometimes you guys really need to think about things before posting garbage.:thumbsdown:

I received the offer myself, as a member of the AFL's "Gold Coast Family".

Gospel.

Lets just hope that the Gold Coast gets behind the AFL there and adds to the already massive support the game gets Australia wide

I believe this was first heard from a Brisbane member who received an offer.

Why do people think that the AFL are simply trying to bolster the crowds for the sake of "propaganda"? This is simply a method of marketing a new product, it is done in heaps of circumstances. They have done their market research and have decided to go with footy on the GC. If the Roos are only in it for the short term money, then I hope they do go under, which is likely if they think they can survive in Melbourne fulltime. Luckily, I think their board is smarter than that.

I would rather the Roos stay in melbourne. Give us no hopers better chance of getting the flag off insterstate teams

I received the offer myself, as a member of the AFL's "Gold Coast Family".

Gospel.

Owned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carrara crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back