McAlmanac

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2002
Brunswick
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville
You may know that Cascade Premium Lager has been rebranded and downsized from 375 bottles to 330ml bottles with no reduction in price. I read some marketing waffle from Ben Summons, premium beer marketing manager of Fosters, in defence of it and felt rather outraged. Hence, I decided to email him at ben.summons@fostersgroup.com:

I have read a report that Cascade Premium Lager is to downsize from 375ml to 330 ml with no change in price – effectively a price increase by stealth. My partner and I are regular buyers of Cascade Premium Lager in slabs for home consumption – this will no longer be the case and we will be sticking with our other favourite, Coopers Pale Ale.

I noted your comments (as premium beer marketing manager) that premium beer drinkers purchase on brand rather than price. Whilst your market research may well indicate this, Australians also have a great “bullshit meter”. They don’t enjoy being taken for a ride and this seems to be another case of a historic Australian brand being stuffed by marketers.

Cascade Premium Lager is ranked number six in volume sales in the Australian premium beer market. Good luck trying to maintain that – I’ll think of you during the last 45ml of every James Boag’s I drink at the pub.
He had the politeness to reply:

I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the recent changes to Cascade. We appreciate the feedback and respect your opinion on this. We don't take decisions like this lightly, and we spent a lot of time talking to premium and Cascade drinkers about the changes we were proposing. By enlarge the changes were endorsed, and ultimately we proceeded with the genuine motivation of upgrading the image of Cascade to keep it healthy for the future.

While the article did not mention it, we agree with you - price is an important factor. We hope that in time you appreciate that Cascade Premium Lager still represents great value amongst its competitive set of products.
Well, the bottom line is - less beer, same money. I urge all beer lovers to email this guy - ben.summons@fostersgroup.com - and let him know. And boycott Cascade Premium Lager.

You may know that Cascade Premium Lager has been rebranded and downsized from 375 bottles to 330ml bottles with no reduction in price. I read some marketing waffle from Ben Summons, premium beer marketing manager of Fosters, in defence of it and felt rather outraged. Hence, I decided to email him at ben.summons@fostersgroup.com:

I have read a report that Cascade Premium Lager is to downsize from 375ml to 330 ml with no change in price – effectively a price increase by stealth. My partner and I are regular buyers of Cascade Premium Lager in slabs for home consumption – this will no longer be the case and we will be sticking with our other favourite, Coopers Pale Ale.

I noted your comments (as premium beer marketing manager) that premium beer drinkers purchase on brand rather than price. Whilst your market research may well indicate this, Australians also have a great “bullshit meter”. They don’t enjoy being taken for a ride and this seems to be another case of a historic Australian brand being stuffed by marketers.

Cascade Premium Lager is ranked number six in volume sales in the Australian premium beer market. Good luck trying to maintain that – I’ll think of you during the last 45ml of every James Boag’s I drink at the pub.
He had the politeness to reply:

I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the recent changes to Cascade. We appreciate the feedback and respect your opinion on this. We don't take decisions like this lightly, and we spent a lot of time talking to premium and Cascade drinkers about the changes we were proposing. By enlarge the changes were endorsed, and ultimately we proceeded with the genuine motivation of upgrading the image of Cascade to keep it healthy for the future.

While the article did not mention it, we agree with you - price is an important factor. We hope that in time you appreciate that Cascade Premium Lager still represents great value amongst its competitive set of products.
Well, the bottom line is - less beer, same money. I urge all beer lovers to email this guy - ben.summons@fostersgroup.com - and let him know. And boycott Cascade Premium Lager.

The Alcohol level dropped as well.
By memory it went from 5.2% to 5.0%
With no price reduction..........

I think you'll find the actual reason is to do with importing it to the US and other nations with different sized stubbies to us.

Miller/Bud and some European beers are 330ml.

I think you'll find the actual reason is to do with importing it to the US and other nations with different sized stubbies to us.

Miller/Bud and some European beers are 330ml.

If so surely he wouldve milked it for all its worth so I doubt it.

Definitely a major coup for James Boags and other boutique beers like Bluetongue and James Squire. It isn't the first time Fosters have done something like this, only a few months ago that they reduced VB's alcohol percentage and dropped the King Brown's from 800 to 750mls.

Oh and bring back the Crown Pilsener and start selling Cascade Draught outside of Tasmania, Fosters!

eh....Cascade light would be one of the better light's on the market but there are far more interesting beers on the market to drink rather then Cascade Premium
Very true, but to buy these beers by the case is prohibitive. Cascade Premium is regularly discounted to $40 a slab.

Very true, but to buy these beers by the case is prohibitive. Cascade Premium is regularly discounted to $40 a slab.

I regularly get Coopers Pale or Sparkling for $42...If I wanted to go a bit cheaper I'd get Tooheys Old

Between LiqourLand, BWS, Woolies etc... at least 1 has premium beers for $42 a week

Just out of interest, can someone do the maths for me? Out of 1 slab of Cascade Premium, how much less do you get now in the slab considering 45mls less and 0.2% less alcohol?

I'm guessing that's about 4-5 beers less.

about 2 and a half less in volume

around 1 in alcohol

you go from .014 % alcohol a ml to 0.15 % alcohol a ml

so it's slightly more potent but less of it

that's if my maths is correct
The alcohol content has gone from 5.2% to 5.0%.

375*5.2% = 19.5 whatevers
330*5.0% = 16.5 whatevers

That's a 15% reduction in total alcohol per bottle. Excise is paid on total alcohol level.

375*24 = 9000ml
330*24 = 7920ml

That's a 12% reduction in volume per slab.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VB had the alcohol content lowered also. Rumoured to have saved Fosters millions.

It's all to do with selling less beer at the same price.

We sophisticates here in Launceston have a Boags Classic Bitter 500ml Can at $45 for 24 (Ctn). Classy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cascade Premium Lager

Remove this Banner Ad

Back