Cash beats premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit simplistic there, TD.

Most of the players you're talking about have left because of limited game time/contract length. It sent the grandson of John Kennedy to Sydney, and Luke Ball to Collingwood for reportedly less coin.

In the case of Browny, he clearly is motivated by money, but why wouldn't you be if you didn't have a stable position to play, and weren't being offered more than two years at a time? Kids would have been pushing for his spot next season, and he'd soon find himself on the scrapheap.

To jump for security, considerably more money, more game time, playing in the position he wants - hardly a Judd-esque decision.

Mumford probably couldn't stand hanging around that useless w***er Blake with all his insecurities, and Bock, well...imagine living in Adelaide.

Your own team of stars has stayed together because of their lack of greed, the same goes for the big names in my team. Whatever the media portrays it as, what's happening now with players moving for better conditions is the exception, not the rule.

Your logical arguments are not welcome here Bayer.

Dear Bayer,

LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!

Hi.

Tony Lockett FFS.

stupid example.

as plugger says the actual plugger left the sainters to be anonymous in sydney so he wouldn't be hassled by the average punter when he went to the shops in victoria.

Now Spider everitt, Hall, they're as mercenary as Ball and would have been good examples. :D

stupid example.

as plugger says the actual plugger left the sainters to be anonymous in sydney so he wouldn't be hassled by the average punter when he went to the shops in victoria.

Now Spider everitt, Hall, they're as mercenary as Ball and would have been good examples. :D
Except Everitt & Hall were getting decent game time, Ball wasn't.

Cheap shot at Mumford, you push him to 3rd string and expect him to hang around waiting for a shot?

Actually the whole point of the thread was to have a shot at Mumford, he was clearly on the cusp of kicking Blake out of the team, and as a player on the rise he would have passed Ottens this year... No.1 ruck in the reigning premiers with short odds for back to back... He'll be rich in Sydney, but he'll never win a premiership

Mal Brown has come out and said Campbell's move wasn't motivated by money.

If Campbell Brown actually had any respect left in the wider football community post the Lloyd incident (doubtful) then he wouldn't now.

If someone from the Ablett camp says the move isn't motivated by money I will spew up. If you want to hold any respect you don't bullshit people.

What a load of tosh. Do you honestly believe Saints players are more loyal to their team than other players? You deluded twit.

I guess Saints fans are more loyal as well.

Yes we are, one thing you can't accuse Saints supporters of being is bandwagoners unless they jumped on back in Oct 1966.

stupid example.

I think the main reason Spider left was that he had a falling out with Thomas, mainly due to Thomas not liking him. He managed to piss off our only decent ruckman and then replaced him with a series of hacks. May well have cost us a flag or two.

Hall went to Sydney for similar reasons to Lockett, he needed a change of environment and to get out of Melbourne. No doubt money was a factor as well though.

Yes we are, one thing you can't accuse Saints supporters of being is bandwagoners unless they jumped on back in Oct 1966.
Really? I know a lot of Saints fans who never took any interest in football during the dark old days yet came out of the woodwork in 97, then went back into hiding, then out again in 04-06, only to disappear in 07 and only really return in 09. In fact, I know a lot more of those than committed Saints tragics.

Really? I know a lot of Saints fans who never took any interest in football during the dark old days yet came out of the woodwork in 97, then went back into hiding, then out again in 04-06, only to disappear in 07 and only really return in 09. In fact, I know a lot more of those than committed Saints tragics.

Likewise a lot of Cats supporters seemed to come out of the woodwork after you won a flag in 2007.

Likewise a lot of Cats supporters seemed to come out of the woodwork after you won a flag in 2007.
Possibly, but I'd say we had more committed fans in 2007 (before we'd won the flag) than we do now.

As it is, I know very few Geelong supporters outside my own family, so I haven't experienced such trends.

TD, on Mumford. If you had the skill set big mummy has and were overlooked for the finals for Blake would you leave?

The cash is totally irrelevant as Mumford is still a bargain pick up on 900k for 3 years. If he was on the open market now he would attract 500k per year. Geelong ****ed up, get over it. The big mummy is a champ.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TD, on Mumford. If you had the skill set big mummy has and were overlooked for the finals for Blake would you leave?

The cash is totally irrelevant as Mumford is still a bargain pick up on 900k for 3 years. If he was on the open market now he would attract 500k per year. Geelong ****ed up, get over it. The big mummy is a champ.:thumbsu:
We knew he had promise but no one could have predicted how good he'd be this year. The fact is he wasn't fit enough to play finals last year and he needed some more time to develop as a player. We made the right call at the time and it was vindicated by our premiership.

We knew he had promise but no one could have predicted how good he'd be this year. The fact is he wasn't fit enough to play finals last year and he needed some more time to develop as a player. We made the right call at the time and it was vindicated by our premiership.

Poor deflection.

I could predict he would be as good as he was this year, he had the skill set in 09 and plenty of upside for the future. Mumford was playing country footy in 07, his improvement within 2 years with the Cats was extraordinary. Anyone who improves that much (especially a ruckman) in that space of time is pretty damn good.

Made the right call you say because you won the premiership? :eek: please. You are telling me Blake was the difference between you beating St. Kilda? :eek:.

It was the wrong call, you could have won last years premiership without Blake, played Mumford instead and still had him in Geelong colours this year. During the off season you could have traded Blake for a decent draft pick and freed up enough cap room to sign Mumford to a similar figure as to what he is on now.

I know who i would rather go in facing Collingwood and Jolly with this Friday night. Mumford>>>>>>>>>>Hawkins>>>>>>>>>Blake.

Mumford left because Thompson and Balme would not guarntee him a spot in the 22, because they wanted to play that spud Blake, but I'm sure money was also part of the decision but it was regular football that got him up here.

Geelong f*cked up, deal with it.

Chris Grant could have been Port Adelaide's Captain and earnt a fair bit of scratch. Stayed at the Dogs for loyalty.

it wasn't loyalty

he got 20 cents in the mail, and, being a footscray player and all, he'd never seen that much money in one place in his entire life

it was an easy decision after that

loldogs-funny-dog-pictures-im-seriousthis-is-my-serious-face.jpg

You can add to that: why did Geelong play Stokes and Varcoe both ahead of Wojak in the 08 GF? The HFC says thank you.:)

No, the playing group in the 08 GF made no difference whatsoever... Stokes and especially Varcoe are in our best 22 (Varcoe is in our top 5 now)...

That's 3 years gone now, means nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cash beats premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back