Cats coaches votes: running tally and analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is the leaderboard for number of times listed in the coaches votes (updated Round 22):

1. Max Holmes (12)

2. Tom Stewart (8)

3. Jeremy Cameron (7)

4. Gryan Miers (6)
4. Tyson Stengle (6)

6. Patrick Dangerfield (5)
6. Zach Guthrie (5)

8. Oliver Dempsey (4)
8. Mitch Duncan (4)

10. Jack Bowes (3)

11. Sam De Koning (2)
11. Brad Close (2)
11. Shaun Mannagh (2)
11. Mark Blicavs (2)

15. Oliver Henry (1)
15. Zach Tuohy (1)
15. Tom Hawkins (1)
15. Tanner Bruhn (1)
15. Brandan Parfitt (1)
15. Tom Atkins (1)

Totals (Round 22)

1. Max Holmes (55)

2. Jeremy Cameron (53)

3. Tom Stewart (37)

4. Gryan Miers (36)

5. Patrick Dangerfield (33)

6. Zach Guthrie (24)

7. Tyson Stengle (22)

8. Oliver Dempsey (19)

9. Jack Bowes (19)

10. Mitch Duncan (10)

11. Brad Close (8)
11. Sam De Koning (8)

13. Oliver Henry (6)

14. Zach Tuohy (5)
14. Tom Hawkins (5)

16. Mark Blicavs (4)

17. Shaun Mannagh (3)
17. Tanner Bruhn (3)
17. Brandan Parfitt (3)

19. Tom Atkins (1)

Holmes climbs back into 1st for the total votes leaderboard, while extending his lead in the number of times featuring.

Dangerfield is surging. One more strong game and he could climb into 3rd.

Zuthrie had a dodgy start to the Freo game but was outstanding as it went on - duly rewarded, which I think he deserved after a strong run of consistency.

It might only have been a solitary vote but Miers is starting to feature again lately. I feel we might be a bit harsh on him just because his kicks don't always have the laser-like precision of 2023.

Almost can't believe the jockey-sized Darcy Jones coming off an ACL already has more career coaches votes in 10 games than Bruhn has in 63.
I almost can't believe that you could find a way in this thread to make an entire post pot shotting Bruhn.

Oh wait, I can absolutely believe it.

I almost can't believe that you could find a way in this thread to make an entire post pot shotting Bruhn.

Oh wait, I can absolutely believe it.

It's almost like coaches votes are necessarily truely reflective of a player's performance...

Here's the round 11 leader board from last year's Carji - at this stage of the season, neither Miers or Atkins had received a single coaches vote, yet they sit 2nd & 10th respectively in our B&F

1723513077142.png

Come the end of the season, Atkins finishes runner up to Stewart in our B&F and finished with 25 coaches votes from 7 games

Miers who was 3rd in the Carji ended up getting coaches votes in 5 games for a total of 22 votes

Interestingly, both players received their first coaches votes for the season in round 12

It's almost like coaches votes are necessarily truely reflective of a player's performance...

Here's the round 11 leader board from last year's Carji - at this stage of the season, neither Miers or Atkins had received a single coaches vote, yet they sit 2nd & 10th respectively in our B&F

View attachment 2077921

Come the end of the season, Atkins finishes runner up to Stewart in our B&F and finished with 25 coaches votes from 7 games

Miers who was 3rd in the Carji ended up getting coaches votes in 5 games for a total of 22 votes

Interestingly, both players received their first coaches votes for the season in round 12
Agreed and every week there are players who were in line ball decisions to receive coaches votes - I know a few of Bruhn's best games it was surprising he didn't feature.

But more importantly, what a pathetic time to pot shot Bruhn who is having a poor run of injuries, knocks and lack of continuity. Not many 22 year olds in their second year in their primary position will be consistent when their body and fitness is not at 100%.

Bruhn has played 33 out of 44 games for Geelong and picked up knocks in half a dozen of those that I can remember. That not only brings his statistical markers down but it is very obvious he is a player who struggles upon returning from injury for at least a game.

Still, I bet D BRIDGE felt clever and witty with the post he made. Disappointing.

If Zuth isn't top 5 I'll be shocked
I'll go with:

Holmes
Zuthrie
Stengle
Stewart
Miers/Cameron

Kolo has been quite reliable, could he sneak in?

I know BnFs favour consistency ahead of a player's top 8 games being really good (like coaches votes/Brownlow) but Stewart and Cameron have still probably had enough good games to be around the mark. Stewart had two purple patches which will carry him. Cameron and Miers have both been somewhat hit or miss but then would've been in our top 5 a fair amount. So I'll say one of them scrapes the top 5.

Dempsey could be a smokey?

I'll go with:

Holmes
Zuthrie
Stengle
Stewart
Miers/Cameron

Kolo has been quite reliable, could he sneak in?

I know BnFs favour consistency ahead of a player's top 8 games being really good (like coaches votes/Brownlow) but Stewart and Cameron have still probably had enough good games to be around the mark. Stewart had two purple patches which will carry him. Cameron and Miers have both been somewhat hit or miss but then would've been in our top 5 a fair amount. So I'll say one of them scrapes the top 5.

Dempsey could be a smokey?
Yeah Dempsey actually had both the consistency and great top end games. I hadn't really considered him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BTW - here’s the coaches votes from our last 2 rounds

Saints vs Cats:
VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
9 -
Callum Wilkie (STK)
6 - Jack Steele (STK)
5 - Rowan Marshall (STK)
3 - Jack Bowes (GEEL)
3 - Lawson Humphries (GEEL)
2 - Darcy Wilson (STK)
1 - Liam Stocker (STK)
1 - Tom Stewart (GEEL)

Geelong vs WCE:
VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
10 -
Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
8 - Max Holmes (GEEL)
4 - Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
3 - Jack Henry (GEEL)
2 - Oliver Henry (GEEL)
2 - Rhys Stanley (GEEL)
1 - Oliver Dempsey (GEEL)

Jeremy Cameron and Max Holmes tie for 1st in the Geelong Cats 2024 Coaches Votes Award!

To split the tie, I would have Holmes ahead for featuring in the coaches votes more times.

There are many worthy shout outs: Dempsey for becoming one of our most consistent players, after not even being close to best 23 last year! Humphries finding votes for the first time, unlucky to miss at least one other time. Bowes becoming a sneakily solid contributor in midfield or wherever needed. Stewart starting and finishing on fire (in completely different positions), with a horror middle section of the season just a blip. Dangerfield, like 2023, had a staggering frequency in the coaches votes for someone who plays half a season, with limited time on ground as a broken down 34 year old. Then of course Cameron - a sometimes infuriating genius who remains one of the best in the comp when his radar is on. And....Holmes! Superb season, featuring in the votes more often than not and every time as a run-and-gun back flanker. Scotty you're a genius. Maxy, well done for taking your game to a new level. If he improves his disposal he can become one of the very best in the comp.

Port Adelaide v Geelong​

10 - Max Holmes (GEEL)
7 - Shaun Mannagh (GEEL)
4 - Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
3 - Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
3 - Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
2 - Tyson Stengle (GEEL)
1 - Zach Guthrie (GEEL)

Port Adelaide v Geelong​

10 - Max Holmes (GEEL)
7 - Shaun Mannagh (GEEL)
4 - Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
3 - Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
3 - Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
2 - Tyson Stengle (GEEL)
1 - Zach Guthrie (GEEL)
Great to see Blic appreciated. Some here want him dropped for De K??

Why not continue it through finals.

Here is the leaderboard for number of times listed in the coaches votes (updated QF; if equal number of times, then ranked by total number of votes):

1. Max Holmes (14)

2. Jeremy Cameron (9)
2. Tom Stewart (9)

4. Patrick Dangerfield (7)
4. Tyson Stengle (7)

6. Gryan Miers (6)
6. Zach Guthrie (6)

8. Oliver Dempsey (5)

9. Jack Bowes (4)
9. Mitch Duncan (4)

11. Shaun Mannagh (3)
11. Mark Blicavs (3)