Central Highlands Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helmut the report postd is 100% true. Just get in touch with a CHFL club rep or league official and they will fill you in.

The juniors will remain with U18 U15 and U12 if there are numbers . The 4 LPFL southern clubs have an U12 comp between thermselves.

the next 3 years will see the merging of more leagues and even clubs merging in the western and northe western areas due to poor plyer numbers and the problems of not enough volunteers and $$$$$$$ to get clubs viable.

You make some good points. The issue will need to be addressed by the leagues, so there is an even draw, and an even spread of revenue raising opportunities then clubs will have the chance to survive. The CHFL has always had a good set up for family football with juniors and seniors for football and netball played on the same day.
If it becomes to expensive for clubs to remain viable, then you need to look at where the $$ are being spent and how to reduce the impact on clubs already established.
Ballarat is growing, AFL is considered one of the fastest growing sports in the Country so players will have to play somewhere, hopefully filling teams already established will take precidence over the BFL developing new teams.

Grand final week and there's no discussion on here. What's going on? What are everyones thoughts on the upcoming weekend?
Can the Borough bounce back from their first defeat of the year? Having played water polo on the weekend can they back up for a game of footy?
Will the Dogs go back to back?
Who will be the keys to the flag?
Or is everyone just sick of Daylesford v Hepburn GF's!!!

McKay 5 votes in league BnF ?

Well thats how the Umps seen it mate. Bet it makes Eastwell feel good, not that he isn't a great player but must put some doubt in his mind about how many votes he really did, or maybe didn't earn. Andy McKay is easily in the best half dozen in the comp. and has had a pretty consistent year. Might just give the Burras B & F a shake.

Problem is , the game in the main is being presided over by a bunch of blokes who, no doubt, love the game and though we wholly appreciate their endeavour and dedication , they are either too old, unfit or have not played enough to interpret the rules efficiently at the coal face. A by-product of this being poor allocation of votes on game day.
Solution ?? Pay some decent dollars and make the job more attractive to better qualified personnel.
Maybe the Clubs could give votes for the umpires and then they get paid according to their ratings. Maybe they should confer at each break and WRITE a note of their best players quarter by quarter.
No doubt there would be many other suggestions for improvement, but the surest way for poor performance to prevail is that fair minded critics do nothing.

Well thats how the Umps seen it mate. Bet it makes Eastwell feel good, not that he isn't a great player but must put some doubt in his mind about how many votes he really did, or maybe didn't earn. Andy McKay is easily in the best half dozen in the comp. and has had a pretty consistent year. Might just give the Burras B & F a shake.

Problem is , the game in the main is being presided over by a bunch of blokes who, no doubt, love the game and though we wholly appreciate their endeavour and dedication , they are either too old, unfit or have not played enough to interpret the rules efficiently at the coal face. A by-product of this being poor allocation of votes on game day.
Solution ?? Pay some decent dollars and make the job more attractive to better qualified personnel.
Maybe the Clubs could give votes for the umpires and then they get paid according to their ratings. Maybe they should confer at each break and WRITE a note of their best players quarter by quarter.
No doubt there would be many other suggestions for improvement, but the surest way for poor performance to prevail is that fair minded critics do nothing.

Bit harsh blaming the umpires. I haven't seen the list of votegetters but perhaps it says more about the fact that Hepburn have a very good team and everybody deserved votes. Must be hard when they have dominated most games.

Bit harsh blaming the umpires. I haven't seen the list of votegetters but perhaps it says more about the fact that Hepburn have a very good team and everybody deserved votes. Must be hard when they have dominated most games.

I see where you are coming from Dodgey, but it is the the umpires who give the votes, and I am the one of the few supporters who stand at the race and applaud the Umps on a job well done on game day. No detriment was aimed at any individuals, but improvement in anything is never achieved unless you act on the possibilities.

As for Andy McKay, he is a standout ability wise and the consumate fair player. He has no doubt been b.o.g. in at least six games that I have witnessed this season ( I have seen all but two) and has had very few ordinary performances as well. True, he does play in a team of very good players, but I'm amazed, as are many others that are not H.F.C. supporters, that he could have only gathered 5 votes in the B & F count.

Anyway, I am not having a whinge, I just think that the system could be improved a bit. Maybe we could find a few more bob for the Umps by the clubs paying fees on a pro-rata basis from First to Last ladder wise.

Good luck to the Umps & Players for the G. F. Let's hope the sun shines.

Biggest fish in a very big pond next year. But their dominance simply won't last forever.

The pond remains the same, just some more minnows chucked in for the big fish to eat. The dominance will remain, in the forseeable future they'll get bigger and stronger not weaker.

The pond remains the same, just some more minnows chucked in for the big fish to eat. The dominance will remain, in the forseeable future they'll get bigger and stronger not weaker.

Couldn't disagree more. Well about their dominance remaining anyway. Certainly will be a minnow or two amongst the crowd next year though.

And we shouldn't rely on them getting weaker, others should get stronger. But its all relative anyway. or is that comparitive?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big news of the week is that Lexton have applied to go to the Maryborough District Football League. Not having juniors would not help them in the Central Highlands. I think it will be a good fit as they wont have to travel far. Stuffs up the future of having 2 divisions in Central Highlands.
Good luck to them

Big news of the week is that Lexton have applied to go to the Maryborough District Football League. Not having juniors would not help them in the Central Highlands. I think it will be a good fit as they wont have to travel far. Stuffs up the future of having 2 divisions in Central Highlands.
Good luck to them

Probably the best move. The CHFL has no future as a two division comp anyway. Div 1 teams will just get stronger and stronger where as the Div 2 teams will either not find a coach and/or Players or go broke trying to compete with Hepburn if they do get into Div 1.

Probably the best move. The CHFL has no future as a two division comp anyway. Div 1 teams will just get stronger and stronger where as the Div 2 teams will either not find a coach and/or Players or go broke trying to compete with Hepburn if they do get into Div 1.

providing its not just a Rumor like for ex Ararat Eagles when in the courier it said Minenera & District had voted against Ararat Coming in if I Recall when it was on the news the bloke said what ya read in the newspapers is False and clubs hadn't got any letters or voted against Ararat

the day the courier gets something actually Correct we'll all throw a party

Have heard around the WRFL that Stewart Broussard has taken on a playing assistants role with one of the teams down there. Can anyone from springbank shed some light on him? Heard he struggles a bit with injuries?

Have all the coaching positions been filled around the league?
Whats everyone think about the top 8 idea?

If the top 8 works the same as the AFL then they will have to have home finals (or something), otherwise there is no advantage of finishing 1st, 2nd (5th, 6th). And I dont see the league changing to home finals as it would mean reserves, juniors and netball games all at different grounds.

Anyone have any ideas what could be done to reward the top finishing sides in a final 8 system? If there is no reward, then a smart coach would plan to just make the top 4 and rest most players leading into finals. 4th place is as good as 1st.

If the top 8 works the same as the AFL then they will have to have home finals (or something), otherwise there is no advantage of finishing 1st, 2nd (5th, 6th). And I dont see the league changing to home finals as it would mean reserves, juniors and netball games all at different grounds.

Anyone have any ideas what could be done to reward the top finishing sides in a final 8 system? If there is no reward, then a smart coach would plan to just make the top 4 and rest most players leading into finals. 4th place is as good as 1st.

Maybe the final 8 system the AFL used until 1998 whereby:

1v8
2v7
3v6
4v5

Two highest ranked winners through to prelims and a week off, two lowest ranked losers out (essentially that means a team that finished 5th or 6th and lost the first week would be out if 7th or 8th somehow pulled off a miracle, unlikely)

Maybe the final 8 system the AFL used until 1998 whereby:

1v8
2v7
3v6
4v5

Two highest ranked winners through to prelims and a week off, two lowest ranked losers out (essentially that means a team that finished 5th or 6th and lost the first week would be out if 7th or 8th somehow pulled off a miracle, unlikely)

Yeah that's the one they should run with. Given that the league will be unable to skew the draw to give the crap teams half a chance next season, they will probably run with some ridiculous finals system in attempt to even up the competition.

Yeah that's the one they should run with. Given that the league will be unable to skew the draw to give the crap teams half a chance next season, they will probably run with some ridiculous finals system in attempt to even up the competition.

The Ovens and King uses the AFL system which they brought in this year when they got most of the old Benalla and District football league Clubs
so can't see why it wont work here as well ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back