Central Highlands

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't honestly see how you had to justify Chris Grant pulling on the boots in the CHFL was a good thing. How could it not be good for the CHFL? There are guys who play BFL 2's who think they are too good for CHFL yet a guy who should have won a Brownlow was okay with it.

My thoughts exactly about justification. As for the latter comment... very nicely said :thumbsu:

In what way????

Well its great publicity for the league to start with. Any good news story the league has can only benefit it. Its been featured on Ten News, Win News, Channel 7 Footy Coverage, Herald Sun, The Age. I call that pretty good exposure.

Grant is quoted as saying (on the news) 'It is a great level of football, not just some scrappy league'.

It draws crowds to the games, which increases league exposure. People who have never been to a CHFL match, now know that the league is not a whole bunch of hacks.

Yes there are more benefits for Daylesford than the league, but of course there would be. The bunga full back will of gained some great experience from it. Young kids will look at the league from the point of view 'If an AFL great doesnt mind having a game, then why not me'.

Everyone who played that day will tell the story when the played with/against Chris Grant in a CHFL game.

I just cant see why you believe there is no advantage to the league. It is of course your opinion, but surely its had more of a positive influence on the CHFL than negative, which is good, isnt it??

I see your point and i do agree that the whole thing was a positive rather than a negative. I didnt say that there is no advantage to the league, as you point out the exposure through the media was good for the league, but i do think that beyond that any benefit is minor.

I'm not knocking Daylesford or Chris Grant, i reckon it was great of him to come back to his home club and play and its a pity more retired afl players don't do the same, and as i said its great for Daylesford. From all reports they handled the day really well so credit to them. BUT, i can't see what Gordon or Creswick or Springbank etc or any of the other clubs really, get out of it. I doubt whether it will influence anyone one way or the other about deciding to play in the league or not.

You are right when you say the guys that played in the game will forever tell that story, but theres probably a few out there at bungaree saying why did it have to be us he played against.

Anyways if i was you guys i'd be chipping away to try and get a couple more games out of Chris Grant - for Daylesfords benefit not for the league.

I can't honestly see how you had to justify Chris Grant pulling on the boots in the CHFL was a good thing. How could it not be good for the CHFL? There are guys who play BFL 2's who think they are too good for CHFL yet a guy who should have won a Brownlow was okay with it.

Should have, could have and would have don't mean a thing. What matters is DID.

There are probably guys who play CHFL 2s who think they are too good to play LPFL too. Big deal. Its irrelevant. It had nothing to do with what league it was. Daylesford is where he started his footy and it wouldn't have mattered if they were in the VFL BFL CHFL or the disabled league he still would have played. Maybe the guys you refer to, if they exist, are just happy to stay where they are and play with mates.

There are probably guys who play CHFL 2s who think they are too good to play LPFL too. Big deal. Its irrelevant. It had nothing to do with what league it was. Daylesford is where he started his footy and it wouldn't have mattered if they were in the VFL BFL CHFL or the disabled league he still would have played. Maybe the guys you refer to, if they exist, are just happy to stay where they are and play with mates.

springbank had sean simpson play on weekend. think he played AFL

springbank had sean simpson play on weekend. think he played AFL

They had 4 in the all star premiership teams of a few years ago. Simpson Lamb Tranquilli and Venner. There have been a few others over the years at various clubs but none with the profile or class of Grant.

Merrigan i think your words are a bit harsh son. Chris Grant is a star, the way he retired with no fanfare, just went out after the 2007 season had ended, where he could have easily had all the spotlight firmly focused on himself but he chose not to go down that path as a lot of players do.
I hope more players do what he and Mark Riccuito have done this year and go back and say thanks to their old clubs who have helped kick start their careers.
Chris' exploits are even more noble because if you remember back a few years Daylesford made a farce of a major raffle and they had Chris doing TV commercials begging people to help his former club. Even though he had nothing to do with the result it would have left a nasty taste in his mouth. Yet still he put all that aside went back and gave everyone a day to remember.
It's amazing though how we all can get caught up in watching our stars of this league over the years, eg. Weatherley, Cox, Adams, McKay, Winduss and wonder maybe these blokes may have been good enough to make it at the elite level. Then you see a bloke like Grant 36 yo, on one leg, three training runs and by all reports could have kicked 15 if he had wanted to. Those blokes are a huge class above. Sorry Merrigan he deserves every bit of credit that comes his way and if papers want to write 2 page spreads on him then they have every write too.
Finally some of you readers might be a bit young to remember but back in the early 90s Richmond legend Jim Jess returned to Avoca after his career had ended to play with his son for the season which resulted in Avoca winning the Premiership.

Merrigan i think your words are a bit harsh son. Chris Grant is a star, the way he retired with no fanfare, just went out after the 2007 season had ended, where he could have easily had all the spotlight firmly focused on himself but he chose not to go down that path as a lot of players do.
I hope more players do what he and Mark Riccuito have done this year and go back and say thanks to their old clubs who have helped kick start their careers.
Chris' exploits are even more noble because if you remember back a few years Daylesford made a farce of a major raffle and they had Chris doing TV commercials begging people to help his former club. Even though he had nothing to do with the result it would have left a nasty taste in his mouth. Yet still he put all that aside went back and gave everyone a day to remember.
It's amazing though how we all can get caught up in watching our stars of this league over the years, eg. Weatherley, Cox, Adams, McKay, Winduss and wonder maybe these blokes may have been good enough to make it at the elite level. Then you see a bloke like Grant 36 yo, on one leg, three training runs and by all reports could have kicked 15 if he had wanted to. Those blokes are a huge class above. Sorry Merrigan he deserves every bit of credit that comes his way and if papers want to write 2 page spreads on him then they have every write too.
Finally some of you readers might be a bit young to remember but back in the early 90s Richmond legend Jim Jess returned to Avoca after his career had ended to play with his son for the season which resulted in Avoca winning the Premiership.

Thankyou Timmy I always welcome your input but I have already been suitably chastised by dforddog - as expected - and as advised have gotten over it. I will point out though that I didn't criticise Chris Grant, I agree with everything that you said about him. I just reckon there was an over reaction thats all. I would expect that reaction from DFC because the coffers would be bulging because of it. A few more days like that and they may have the coin to start poaching some of the burras stars!

He had the most votes in 1997 but was suspended. Pretty impressive in my book. :thumbsu:

I was just saying it is good to see a guy of that standard come back to the league. Plenty of AFL players would not.

Thankyou Timmy I always welcome your input but I have already been suitably chastised by dforddog - as expected - and as advised have gotten over it. I will point out though that I didn't criticise Chris Grant, I agree with everything that you said about him. I just reckon there was an over reaction thats all. I would expect that reaction from DFC because the coffers would be bulging because of it. A few more days like that and they may have the coin to start poaching some of the burras stars!
i realise that last comment was tongue in cheek, i didnt realise this but if i can steal the lines written in the Hepburn notes a few weeks back, their coach, best player, leading goalkicker and captain.... naming McColl Adams Cronin Rodgers .... all played with Hepburn..plus a host of others currently playing seniors and reserves. We have a few former Dford players with us too. Its always going to happen and i hope that was Grants last game , maybe you could be right there, we dont want to lose anymore to them. i see Coxy and Hollywood starred for the VCFL today if anyone didnt know.
And on another topic, now that the mid season bye has past. The better sides are Lmnth Bunny Hep Dfd Waub and Duntwn .. You would expect this years Premiership side to come out of this group, so who does everybody think will win it and why? Of course im going to be biased but i reckon Waubra are starting to build momemtum and will be very hard to beat when it counts

i realise that last comment was tongue in cheek, i didnt realise this but if i can steal the lines written in the Hepburn notes a few weeks back, their coach, best player, leading goalkicker and captain.... naming McColl Adams Cronin Rodgers .... all played with Hepburn..plus a host of others currently playing seniors and reserves. We have a few former Dford players with us too. Its always going to happen and i hope that was Grants last game , maybe you could be right there, we dont want to lose anymore to them. i see Coxy and Hollywood starred for the VCFL today if anyone didnt know.
And on another topic, now that the mid season bye has past. The better sides are Lmnth Bunny Hep Dfd Waub and Duntwn .. You would expect this years Premiership side to come out of this group, so who does everybody think will win it and why? Of course im going to be biased but i reckon Waubra are starting to build momemtum and will be very hard to beat when it counts

would you be able to post a link for this or tel us where to go to find it.. cheers mate

Tell a lot more after round 13 when all played one another. At this stage id lean towards Hepburn, Daylesford and Waubra.Buningyoung too one dimensional always go to Tranquilli. Learmonth too slow and lack a ruckman. Just my thoughts at this stage will update after round 13.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

learmonth lack a ruckman do they??
wat about "tiny"cantwell??
speed they r an extremerly quick team and pride them selves on it.
powell,j basham,rogan,lyonhelm,duffy,knowles etc.these r just a few names that come 2 mind

Went and watched the VCFL District game

Cox was good kicked 4, McKay was good early. Cahir and Burchell both solid across half back, VCFL team far too good for VAFA. Massive ruckman for VCFL (he was about 6 foot 8) helped their cause massively. Also former CHFL player Mullane-Grant also kicked 4.

Went and watched the VCFL District game

Cox was good kicked 4, McKay was good early. Cahir and Burchell both solid across half back, VCFL team far too good for VAFA. Massive ruckman for VCFL (he was about 6 foot 8) helped their cause massively. Also former CHFL player Mullane-Grant also kicked 4.

Did mullane-grant play the whole game or walk off the oval during the 3rd quarter jump in his car and never him again?

Tell a lot more after round 13 when all played one another. At this stage id lean towards Hepburn, Daylesford and Waubra.Buningyoung too one dimensional always go to Tranquilli. Learmonth too slow and lack a ruckman. Just my thoughts at this stage will update after round 13.
Learmonth 'lacking' a ruckman i think if you ask any one at the daylesford v learmonth game on the weekend Winduss got legitimately beaten by J.Cantwell.
As for being too slow i think it was daylesford who were too slow learmonth executed a running game nicely. You Peanut.

news headline in the local rag down at hepburn.

Andy mac hit his teammate at a training session and has walked outta the club.

Yes he hit a teammate on the chest with a bullet like pass and then once training was finished he walked outta the club. The good news is he still played on Saturday.

Learmonth 'lacking' a ruckman i think if you ask any one at the daylesford v learmonth game on the weekend Winduss got legitimately beaten by J.Cantwell.
As for being too slow i think it was daylesford who were too slow learmonth executed a running game nicely. You Peanut.

No need to get nasty,just an opinion that i said i would review after round 13.

merrigan you have red hair + you dont trim down below. stick to what you (K)no(W) best nothing! p.s coxy has good abs

My hair is black, not jet black mind you - like people of mediteranean origin, but more like a very dark brown, and to this point in my life I have not deemed it necessary to 'trim down below' as it is quite neat. I'm tipping though that you do a bit of trimming, mainly keeping things in check on your back. You are right - cox does have good abs.

footy man, give me 100 tomorrow in the courtyard bewteen the gay spas
What does any of this hair colour crap have to do with the Central Highlands Football League??
If you two want to share beauty advice i suggest you exchange numbers and be 'gay' somewhere else.

Can anyone put any truth to the rumour about Andy Mckay or this just another rumour similar to the one about Lee Cox??

What does any of this hair colour crap have to do with the Central Highlands Football League??
If you two want to share beauty advice i suggest you exchange numbers and be 'gay' somewhere else.

Can anyone put any truth to the rumour about Andy Mckay or this just another rumour similar to the one about Lee Cox??

This is the rumor McKay head butted Shep then hit Robbo in the nuts and is gone..........then to top it all off ran his car through the rooms mowed down the fence did circle work on the oval , ran over both netball goal rings and was seen howling like a rabid dog leaving the Burra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back