Speculation Chad Warner [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Utter horseshit. Go watch Richmond's 2020 finals series.

Sonny is a stay at home forward. Shai spends plenty of time in the midfield. Compare their centre clearances.
Played a corker in the semi against saints 3 goals
Gf 0 goals but was a great support
Quali and prelim in tight tussles 0 goals
Not in best players
Agree to disagree
This is a Warner thread so I will finish

Your list is genuinely at a similar level to Richmond's outside of Reid.
Lol no, we are a couple of years ahead in general, plus we have a couple of KPFs that are genuinely a-grade. Richmond won't get a Reid from this draft either.
Richmond don't have any a-graders, let alone mature age ones.
B to A grade 25-28 y.o. that could be around for next finals are Allen, Waterman, Duggan, Ryan.
Baker easily fits in here, then we have role players and warner is a very good chance
Other than Reid (A grade) you have a few young B graders in Ginbey, Hewitt, Hough.
Hough is a-grade, one of the best stoppers in the comp.
The rest are young and haven't shown enough to be categorically placed in a-grade, but Ginbey in particular has shown more than almost anybody his age.
Wouldn't be able to name any other decent young players.
Lol, just because you don't know their names doesn't mean they don't exist.

WC have historically underpaid their players

Why does everyone think they are going to suddenly dump 3 million on 2 players?

Cap will be 18.44 mil in 2027, so spending roughly 16% of their cap on 2 players for the next 8 years

They've then got to pay 42 other players

Can't see them doing it tbh, reckon the money is going to be closer than you think, then take ~45%~ for tax and it will be even closer money actually in hand
New management

Lol no, we are a couple of years ahead in general, plus we have a couple of KPFs that are genuinely a-grade. Richmond won't get a Reid from this draft either.
Richmond don't have any a-graders, let alone mature age ones.

Baker easily fits in here, then we have role players and warner is a very good chance

Hough is a-grade, one of the best stoppers in the comp.
The rest are young and haven't shown enough to be categorically placed in a-grade, but Ginbey in particular has shown more than almost anybody his age.

Lol, just because you don't know their names doesn't mean they don't exist.
When do you reckon you'll challenge for finals? 2026?

The problem is you guys appear to be further along in time than in actual steps taken. You'd think bottom 3 for 3 years in a row and bottom 10 for 4 years in a row means a lot of the work is done. But looking at the results, the age profile is still a fair bit wonky for a rebuilding team + for the most part there appears to be a large gap btwn the floor and ceiling of what your younger players will become.
At the start of this year half of the list was 21 or under. We have lost older players and will repace them with kids. Baker+Graham+Owies replace the middle age guys we delisted.
Even guys like Ginbey and Hewett who I'd be fairly surprised if they don't become 150+ game players: there's a gap btwn a Chris Masten and an Andrew Gaff. And then there's a ton of guys like Archer Reid, Rhett Bazzo, Jack Williams, Campbell Chesser, etc where I think 3 years from now each of them can be best 22, but each of them can also be out of the system.
i wouldnt put Archer or Jack Williams in particular with the others, Jack looks like genuinely elite, and Archer despite being 18/19 played extremely well in the wafl in a shit team. Both could fetch first round picks if on the market.
Bazzo has been injured unfortunately
Freo are a decent example of a team where they rebuilt for quite a while and actually drafted well in that time, but the results didn't match that. 2016-2024 is a 9 year period where we made finals once (granted, most would say the rebuild is really 2016-2021, but that's still 6 years). Taking 2016-2021, in all but 1 of those drafts (ironically the 2018 Superdraft) we traded and drafted fairly well. But the constant revolving door (this isn't a problem for you guys) and some weird trades which contradicted rebuilding aims (this could be a problem for you guys) meant it was always 3 steps forward 2 steps back.

It could be that in a year or 2 from now, a strong, deep young core emerges out of hits with non-1st rounders and mid-season draftees as well as NGAs and father-sons adding depth around the 1st rounders. Right now, that feels closer to optimistic prediction than certainty.
You are under the assumption we need a group of A-graders to compete. A balanced spread of talent works just as well.
We don't, anybody who has watched the kids like Maric, Long, JWilliams, Hough, Hutchinson, Hewett(limited games), etc would reasonably be optimistic. Development along with more kids still being added as we climb the ladder means it won't be far away

When do you reckon you'll challenge for finals? 2026?
Hard to say, but a lot of the list is there.
Building depth and improving consistency, along with seeing how McQualter goes will determine that.

I dont think it's unreasonable to be wanting at least 7-8 wins in 2025, and then improve from there

Would be a massive departure from the system that has worked for 35 years

WC use their WA presence to pay unders to players, can't see them stopping that now
That might be because they have always had very good players in the past that were under paid and they would have struggled to fit them all into their cap.

With where they are at the moment they need to use the cap to attract talent specially WA talent
When you struggle to pay the cap floor may as well over pay a gun player to come to your club

Richmond will do the same in 2 years time

It's not a myth.

First off, half of Bolton's finals were played in shortened games in 2020, so your stats comparison is misleading and irrelevant. He had an excellent finals series that year and was one of our best players in all four games but especially in the prelim and grand final.

His first three finals he was a 20-year-old bit player in 2019. In 2022 he didn't have a great game against Brisbane but still kicked 2 goals.

The other difference is that most (75%) of Shai's finals have been the higher standard, tougher, qualifying finals, prelims and grand finals, whereas a higher proportion of Sonny's have been elimination finals and semis (45%) against lesser opposition. Shai was 21 or under for every final he's played except the last one. Sonny over 23 for four of his 11.

Both great players, with many similarities. Sonny a more reliable kick for goal and better field kick, Shai better at just about everything else, including overhead, pack marking, making something from nothing, and running through the midfield. I love Sonny but it boggles my mind so many Freo fans still don't know what they're getting in Shai.

You're going to laugh when you realise how good he is.

Wayne Harmes won three flags and a Norm Smith for Carlton and never stopped being a Richmond supporter. Still is.
exactly..you made my point. 99% of players play for a team they didn't barrack for. hence, it's a non factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the start of this year half of the list was 21 or under. We have lost older players and will repace them with kids. Baker+Graham+Owies replace the middle age guys we delisted.

i wouldnt put Archer or Jack Williams in particular with the others, Jack looks like genuinely elite, and Archer despite being 18/19 played extremely well in the wafl in a shit team. Both could fetch first round picks if on the market.
Bazzo has been injured unfortunately

You are under the assumption we need a group of A-graders to compete. A balanced spread of talent works just as well.
We don't, anybody who has watched the kids like Maric, Long, JWilliams, Hough, Hutchinson, Hewett(limited games), etc would reasonably be optimistic. Development along with more kids still being added as we climb the ladder means it won't be far away
Jack Williams genuinely elite? It must be hard watching these past few seasons, clinging on to any semblance of an acceptable performance.

Jack Williams genuinely elite? It must be hard watching these past few seasons, clinging on to any semblance of an acceptable performance.
I know you havent watched him, but he was in the same draft as Amiss and JVR as 3 KPFs from WA. Despite being a late pick, he isnt in 3rd place, at least not noticeably(if you actually watched them all).
Before going checking JWilliams stats, remember hes a 3rd KPF/ruck, JVR and Amiss are #1 or #2 targets.

I know you havent watched him, but he was in the same draft as Amiss and JVR as 3 KPFs from WA. Despite being a late pick, he isnt in 3rd place, at least not noticeably(if you actually watched them all).
Before going checking JWilliams stats, remember hes a 3rd KPF/ruck, JVR and Amiss are #1 or #2 targets.
Take those blue and yellow goggles off man

JVR and Amiss both kicked more goals this year than Williams has in his whole career, laughable to suggest he isn't noticeably behind both of them

And yes I've watched alot of West Coast, being from WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Chad Warner [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back