Prediction Changes v Melbourne (Round 19)

Remove this Banner Ad

If Johnson was a late omission is it possible Sonny won't be sub..if change of strategy needed. Think JL said Sonny sub early in the morning, so with Johnson out they may change it to Aish with Sonny starting

If Johnson was a late omission is it possible Sonny won't be sub..if change of strategy needed. Think JL said Sonny sub early in the morning, so with Johnson out they may change it to Aish with Sonny starting
JL has already said they prefer the sub to play forward so it will stay as Sonny. Aish offers more flexibility so will not be sub.

Sonny sub I feel is more of a gentle dropping than a tactical decision

I'm no expert clearly, but I would think he has more to gain at this point in his career from lower game time. IMO, JLo is keeping him in just enough touch to be available for finals, where I can see him genuinely having an impact. Same with Fyfe, I know they are both contracted for next year but this feels to me like the last roll of the dice for them both in finals - and I also feel like they have both earned that right to have one last crack, even though they are both past their best.
Well said

A key defender would be a real weird sub

If he comes on for anyone other than a KPD then I could really only see like Chappy moving onto a wing or Cox moving forward (only if a KPF/Ruck comes off)
But this is the entire point. Josh is playing KPD because that’s where we have needed him due to injury.
He appealed to our talent scouts because he was very good in the forward line with strong aerial skill, good speed and agility and good finishing. The forward line is where he excelled as a junior.
Josh’ s athleticism is obvious for all to see .
I believe, in time, Josh Draper will offer us the same all rounder talent that Heath Chapman does.

Deflated seems a bit extreme man, we’re basically full strength and arguing about whether to put sprinkles or chocolate sauce on our ice cream.
I am deflated because I believe we are a real chance for top four finish and persisting with Michael Walters puts that in enormous jeopardy.
Naming Walters as a sub is unfathomable. I can’t think of a worse choice for a tactical sub.
To suggest Walters is still best 23 is a pisstake and means we are not at full strength.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am deflated because I believe we are a real chance for top four finish and persisting with Michael Walters puts that in enormous jeopardy.
Naming Walters as a sub is unfathomable. I can’t think of a worse choice for a tactical sub.
To suggest Walters is still best 23 is a pisstake and means we are not at full strength.
I find that pretty ridiculous tbh. 1. That you’re putting so much value on the sub, and 2. that you think Walters playing sub is somehow detracting from our chances. For most AFL games the sub makes zero difference to the game. They have hardly any opportunity to impact.

I don't have Walters in my best team, but I also think it's crazy that people froth over him being the sub. Get a grip. He's as likely as any other sub choice to make an impact when coming on.

Massive disrespect.

So on that logic are you suggesting Mick Walters gives us the coverage if a defender gets injured ?
We have heaps of defenders in the squad. There are 8 Defenders in the team (Aish, Chapman, Ryan, Clark, Walker, Pearce, Cox, Wagner).

A couple of those defenders can play wing and midfield. Adding another defender would make us top heavy in defenders.

I find that pretty ridiculous tbh. 1. That you’re putting so much value on the sub, and 2. that you think Walters playing sub is somehow detracting from our chances. For most AFL games the sub makes zero difference to the game. They have hardly any opportunity to impact.

I don't have Walters in my best team, but I also think it's crazy that people froth over him being the sub. Get a grip. He's as likely as any other sub choice to make an impact when coming on.

Massive disrespect.
Well, I disagree with you on that.
I believe we are a good chance of top four and having a weak sub compromises our chances.

With Johnson out that is exactly why they will keep Aish in as he can play some wing minutes and even midfield if he has to. So Johnson out makes it more likely they keep Sonny as sub

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Draper is at the very start of his career with many years ahead of him. His best years. Sonny is at the back end of his career, a legend of the club and my feeling, as was said above, this year is last roll of dice. Unless there is real structural need for a different type, and I don't think there is, I'm backing him in as sub. We have enough flexibility elsewhere.

only if we have someone go down early?
There’s two situations that result in the sub activation ; one is an injury which obviously could occur at any time during the game. The other is simply swapping a player which can happen regardless of how the player is performing.
The latter usually happens late.
You could hardly call that a tactical sub and the closest we have come to that was when we used Bailey Banfield as the sub.
Anyone who says Michael Walters is our ideal tactical sub is TTP out of us.
I may seem incensed about this but I cannot conceive that Sonny is in the conversation for our tactical sub; it’s ridiculous that people believe he is a better option than Josh Draper.

Draper is at the very start of his career with many years ahead of him. His best years. Sonny is at the back end of his career, a legend of the club and my feeling, as was said above, this year is last roll of dice. Unless there is real structural need for a different type, and I don't think there is, I'm backing him in as sub. We have enough flexibility elsewhere.
So we run the risk of repeats of his two touches effort of last week against Hawthorn, one of which he was lucky not to be penalised for HTB.
I understand the sentiment angle and agree there’s a place for it but right now we are a genuine chance of top four finish and by extension a grand final berth.

Generally you wouldn’t consider a KPP as sub. Draper could well work for us. Would allow Cox to be pushed forward or Chapman to move to wing.
Using Walters as sub is very limiting.

There’s two situations that result in the sub activation ; one is an injury which obviously could occur at any time during the game. The other is simply swapping a player which can happen regardless of how the player is performing.
The latter usually happens late.
You could hardly call that a tactical sub and the closest we have come to that was when we used Bailey Banfield as the sub.
Anyone who says Michael Walters is our ideal tactical sub is TTP out of us.
I may seem incensed about this but I cannot conceive that Sonny is in the conversation for our tactical sub; it’s ridiculous that people believe he is a better option than Josh Draper.
Am glad he is in for the full game then

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes v Melbourne (Round 19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back