Unofficial Preview Changes V Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Herald Sun reporting that Charlie is likely to be suspended for 3 weeks [Swans, SUNS, Saints] by the MRO

Is that based on actual facts or is it just speculation?
All speculation until the MRO findings are announced, usually they're accurate in predicting what the MRO will find. This is what they say about it:
Cameron clearly wrapped up both of Duggan’s arms and then took four or five steps before driving him into the ground. He ended up falling on top of Duggan as he drove him to the ground, with the Eagles utility concussed for the second time since June.
The AFL looks at two factors - excessive force, and whether the player is in a vulnerable position - when it judges dangerous tackles.
Cameron is likely to have ticked both boxes for MRO boss Michael Christian, which means he would be guilty of a careless act which has to be assessed as severe force given Duggan’s concussion. It means Cameron, let off from suspension earlier this year after the tribunal assessed him as having a good record, would miss games against Sydney at home, Gold Coast away and St Kilda away.

All the news from the Match Review Officer from round 18​

Brisbane star Charlie Cameron seems certain to be suspended for at least three weeks for the dumping tackle that concussed West Coast’s Liam Duggan, as the league debates the legality of Toby Bedford’s dumping tackle on Tiger midfielder Tim Taranto.
Cameron’s coach Chris Fagan came to his defence after the Lions’ victory as he cited the lack of remonstration from Eagles teammates after the tackle.

But Cameron clearly wrapped up both of Duggan’s arms and then took four or five steps before driving him into the ground. He ended up falling on top of Duggan as he drove him to the ground, with the Eagles utility concussed for the second time since June.

The AFL looks at two factors - excessive force, and whether the player is in a vulnerable position - when it judges dangerous tackles.

Cameron is likely to have ticked both boxes for MRO boss Michael Christian, which means he would be guilty of a careless act which has to be assessed as severe force given Duggan’s concussion. It means Cameron, let off from suspension earlier this year after the tribunal assessed him as having a good record, would miss games against Sydney at home, Gold Coast away and St Kilda away.

The Lions have only just made an extraordinary leap into the top four after their horrible start to the season and those games will be crucial in them retaining that double chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Legitimately do not know what he could've done differently in that tackle.

I look forward to hearing how the AFL would like the players to approach that situation in future, other than letting the ball carrier go.
It's probably the outcome more than anything else that'll screw him.

Without a doubt we will take this to the tribunal.
Im not 100% sure how I think it will fall under the rules but feel there is enough doubt on what actions he should have taken to challenge any suspension. Its not what I would have thought falls under the standard arms pinned driving tackle

The eagles player was hugging the ball for a ball up, so how is Charlie meant to tackle without pinning the arms? They then just fell over with no excessive force.

Im not 100% sure how I think it will fall under the rules but feel there is enough doubt on what actions he should have taken to challenge any suspension. Its not what I would have thought falls under the standard arms pinned driving tackle
I would say in the case of a tackle like that or similar the player being tackled is OK 99/100 times. When the head is slung into the ground, absolutely, there is other actions that can be taken and we want to get those injuries out of the game but accidents happen.

At the time I thought the Eagles player was trying to throw Cameron off him but failed due to Cameron's strength and technique. A good tackle and something we've been asking for from our players.
Yep agree with this.

I actually thought Cameron should have been rubbed out for the Lever tackle. I don't think it was line ball, i thought it was a clear one week because it was a sling and Cameron contributed enough to that happening, albeit Lever may have.

It looked to me like Duggan was the one who took the force back the other way, as in trying to shake him off. Once that happened Cameron was pushing back. His momentum one. Now ONCE they were tipping backwards this could be what he is rubbed out on - should he have let go? Is that reasonable, would he have just clashed heads with him then? I think that could have happened if he let go so Duggan had his arms out. All of this happens very quickly of course.

Because of the outcome (concussion) it seems as though it's either 0 weeks or 3 weeks. The tribunal has tied its hands on this one a bit which is a shame.

I can't recall this tackle being up before - that gives some leeway for a Maynard style 'no weeks this time but multiple weeks next time'.

I think we do need him out there as the opposition is still putting their best defender on him. So if he doesn't play suddenly life gets a lot harder for Lohman. He is clearly down on confidence and i think may even have lost a yard of pace (that extension to me was stranger for its length - out to 2028, so he will be 34yo - for a player so down who has just turned 30yo. anyway). but he is trying his guts out, running back to defence when we are in trouble. Could not fault his effort at all which i think was at times in question back in about 2021 when he sooked a bit.

But do we want an entire week all about the tribunal etc? He had a shocked against Geelong the week after the melbourne game. Maybe if it's somehow a short ban we cop it, give him a little break, bring in Dev for a defensive role and send Bailey forward full time to fill the gap?

Yep agree with this.

I actually thought Cameron should have been rubbed out for the Lever tackle. I don't think it was line ball, i thought it was a clear one week because it was a sling and Cameron contributed enough to that happening, albeit Lever may have.

It looked to me like Duggan was the one who took the force back the other way, as in trying to shake him off. Once that happened Cameron was pushing back. His momentum one. Now ONCE they were tipping backwards this could be what he is rubbed out on - should he have let go? Is that reasonable, would he have just clashed heads with him then? I think that could have happened if he let go so Duggan had his arms out. All of this happens very quickly of course.

Because of the outcome (concussion) it seems as though it's either 0 weeks or 3 weeks. The tribunal has tied its hands on this one a bit which is a shame.

I can't recall this tackle being up before - that gives some leeway for a Maynard style 'no weeks this time but multiple weeks next time'.

I think we do need him out there as the opposition is still putting their best defender on him. So if he doesn't play suddenly life gets a lot harder for Lohman. He is clearly down on confidence and i think may even have lost a yard of pace (that extension to me was stranger for its length - out to 2028, so he will be 34yo - for a player so down who has just turned 30yo. anyway). but he is trying his guts out, running back to defence when we are in trouble. Could not fault his effort at all which i think was at times in question back in about 2021 when he sooked a bit.

But do we want an entire week all about the tribunal etc? He had a shocked against Geelong the week after the melbourne game. Maybe if it's somehow a short ban we cop it, give him a little break, bring in Dev for a defensive role and send Bailey forward full time to fill the gap?

I agree the action in the Lever tackle was far worse but similar to May he was trying to milk it

What is Charlie meant to do there, it's an awkward tackle where Duggan's arms are tucked in-between their bodies but he is pushing away from Charlie who doesn't have a great grip to stop Duggan from doing that... so the only option Charlie has to do there is to push forward with his legs to complete the tackle... Charlie has a microsecond to realise the point where they start to fall to the ground... to get suspended for that seems really really tough on the tackler there.

There is such things as awkward tackles which can result in incidental head knocks... surely they can't just all be considered suspendable... it is a contact game accidents will happen.

I'll be very disappointed in our legal team if they can't get Charlie out of that (if he is suspended).

What is Charlie meant to do there, it's an awkward tackle where Duggan's arms are tucked in-between their bodies but he is pushing away from Charlie who doesn't have a great grip to stop Duggan from doing that... so the only option Charlie has to do there is to push forward with his legs to complete the tackle... Charlie has a microsecond to realise the point where they start to fall to the ground... to get suspended for that seems really really tough on the tackler there.

There is such things as awkward tackles which can result in incidental head knocks... surely they can't just all be considered suspendable... it is a contact game accidents will happen.

I'll be very disappointed in our legal team if they can't get Charlie out of that (if he is suspended).
The issue is that incidental head knocks are resulting in guys being suspended. So no one knows what will come of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back