Channel 7 grab V8 television rights...

Remove this Banner Ad

Black Panther said:
7 even having the AFL in 2007 is still very much far from being confirmed as no contract with the AFL has yet been signed and Foxtel look like refusing to deal with 7 & 10 meaning either ........

1/ 7 & 10 will have to show all 8 games live into every market themselves
or
2/ they default on their bid and 9 & Foxtel win with their original bid

There is no chance that Fox will not be showing AFL. Without NRL and AFL, they know that they would be having to go and pick up the shiny boxes from the front lawns all over Australia.

Throughandthrough said:
Bloody Avesco obviously settled for the highest bidder, with little consideration as to the treatment.

Bit like the AFL then?

That said I cant see this being a good thing, the two events clash fairly heavily. Decent V8SC coverage will involve several hours of Sat & Sun coverage, similar to footy requirements. There will have to be compromises to one, or probably both. Shame.

Channel 7 don't have any Saturday sports coverage except for the odd horse race.

For all those petrol heads out there, how practical is it for 7 to turn Saturday into raceday? If not, I wonder if 7 and 10 would consider swapping which day they cover footy? I doubt it, but I guess it all depends on the dollars.

Black Panther said:
Foxtel get a better deal if the 7/10 deal collapses and it goes back to 9

It's high stakes poker being played by all sides, just a question of who will buckle first

Will Foxtel get 4 matches including the second best of the round if they deal with 9?

Black Panther said:
Foxtel get a better deal if the 7/10 deal collapses and it goes back to 9

It's high stakes poker being played by all sides, just a question of who will buckle first

You make a good point.
If you had to put any $$$ on it, you would have to say 7/10 will probably accept the Foxtel offer.

Foxtel will always get a better deal as the AFL want matches on Pay TV and as Ch. 9 have an interest in Foxtel, they can give them whatever they want i.e. like the NRL.

at present most the v8 rounds are spread over friday saturday and sunday. Practice on friday, qualifying and shootout and race 1 saturday and races 2 and 3 on sunday. They could cram it into 2 days from the friday, but raceday is normally a sunday thing. Would they loose crowds etc? Hard to tell. However this year they are going to bahrain to race. Due to religion they will be racing on the thursday and friday.

RussellEbertHandball said:
Channel 7 don't have any Saturday sports coverage except for the odd horse race.

For all those petrol heads out there, how practical is it for 7 to turn Saturday into raceday? If not, I wonder if 7 and 10 would consider swapping which day they cover footy? I doubt it, but I guess it all depends on the dollars.

Considering the ATCC/V8 Supercars have run the main race(s) on the Sunday for 40 years, it may not be to practical. I'd expect crowds to drop if rounds moved to a Saturday mainday.

I could see some rounds maybe having Saturday night races, as this has proved popular with fans before, though with the size of circuits there could be security issues with this.

Currently it wouldn't effect the 3 main rounds, Sandown 500 (clashes with finals, but 10 can cover clashes), Bathurst 1000 (outside of season), Clipsal 500 (generally pre-season)

This year of the 14 race weekends, 8 occur during the AFL home and away season.

Maybe we could see Sunday night football, as I would be shocked if V8 Supercars Australia has done a deal that would mean less coverage for the series than they are currently getting on 'The Home of Motorsport'
Currently: AFL on 9, V8 2pm-5pm
Future (maybe): 12pm-3pm AFL; 3pm-6pm V8; 6:30pm-9:30pm AFL.

have and 7 and 10 actually said when they would cover the games, and on what nights?

i'm not at all interested in v8's personally, but would it be possible 7 would take friday and saturday nights, and 10 saturday and sunday afternoons, and potentially sunday twilight as well?

that way 7 can coverage the v8s on sunday afternoon, as per 10's current coverage.

with regarsd to foxtel, if they don't sign up for broadcasting, what will stokes do? surely the only option would be for them to run a channel that is then licensed through fox. they're not going to get anything like the cash they thought they might though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate this

its bad enought that we have to wait till almost midnight for F1, motogp and others now we have to do the same with the V8s

once again motorsport fans are getting shafted - enough is :mad::mad::mad::mad:n enough

the only way this could work is that seven are getting fri and sat games and 10 sat night and sunday games

does anyone know which games ten and seven are getting

Once AVESCO announce Channel Seven have won the V8 rights, can Seven perhaps "on-sell" the rights to Ten???

The could use the V8's as a bargaining tool to get the better games on Seven, or perhaps for exclusive finals coverage?

Would the yearly value of V8's be of better worth to Ten than the 'once-in-two-years' benefit of screening the AFL Grand Final????

woosh_era said:
Bit like the AFL then?

That said I cant see this being a good thing, the two events clash fairly heavily. Decent V8SC coverage will involve several hours of Sat & Sun coverage, similar to footy requirements. There will have to be compromises to one, or probably both. Shame.

How is this any different to what happens now with 10? 10 have a commitment to show two games on Saturday, just like 7 will (presumably) have a commitment to show two games on Sunday. The day change is the only real objective difference.

roostersgal4eva said:
its too popular where it is - v8 crowds are at a all time high so I dont think AVESCO would

well they did sell 10 and v8 fans out with this one so who knows

Also, you'd think there'd be pretty strong opposition from the teams due to massive temperatures that are generated inside teh cars. Its hard enough to deal with overheating in the middle of winter.

Sir_Adrian84 said:
could channel 7 move the V8s to summer as competition against the cricket?

At the Clipsal 500 the Saturday ambient temperature was 32-35 degrees. In car was between 60-70 degrees. One driver suffered severe trouble, his core temperature was over 40 degrees when he made it to hospital after passing out at the wheel.

Considering summer temperatures in Australia are easily into the 30s, running the series in this time could be very dangerous.

BarcaRulz said:
Cmon Everybody... 1..2...3:

Booooooooooooooooooooooo!
Boooooooooooooooooooo
Channel 10 had a very good coverage. I think 7's coverage won't be as good as 10's. But ahwell, aslong as they have a good footy coverage right?!?!!??:eek:

roostersgal4eva said:
I hate this

its bad enought that we have to wait till almost midnight for F1, motogp and others now we have to do the same with the V8s

I used to hate that as well but I got Fox 2 years ago and now I can sit back on Sunday nights with a VB and watch MotoGP live.
Most of the rounds in Europe run from about 7.30pm to 11.00pm Melbourne time.
So FOX isn't free but it's 100 times better than FTA TV as you aren't bombarded with ads every 10 minutes.

MG77B said:
Neil Cromptons my next door neighbour, I'll get the lowdown from him.

Agree Channel 10 has done wonders with motor racing.....interesting to see who C7 poach

spoken to your neighbour?

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 7 grab V8 television rights...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back