Channel Nine

Remove this Banner Ad

Jim Boy said:
Alledgedly, Channel Nine have been talking with SBS to convince them to join with Nine in a combined bid for the AFL rights in competition with 7/10.

While SBS have had a great run with cricket, they've had virtually zero actual production expenses, as it's Channel 4 doing all of that. I can only imagine that Channel 9 would provide virtually all of the production, with SBS providing just commentators.

Could be a smart move for 9, especially now that SBS are being now being seen as a lot more accessible. Channel 9 would undoubtedly take all the high rating matches, but SBS can provide the broader exposure to the lesser games that the AFL craves.

I wouldn't count Nine out just yet either.
Ten is okay but Walls really grates on me.

O Grobbecker said:
Who's head rolled this time ? Missed out of the Finals in the last negotiations, will miss out on Footy altogether this time and has handed SBS the greatest Ashes Test series in living memory. SBS !!!

If you did some digging, it is not that difficult to see an alliance of 9, Fox and SBS putting in a bid for the rights.

In todays Age I saw an article about 9 wooing SBS.
In Saturdays Age I saw an article about 9 discussing with Fox 4 Pay games each week.

Never discount Packer, he is cunning old fart.

Murray said:
Never discount Packer, he is cunning old fart.

If he was that cunning he'd move the NRL schedule so it didn't clash with AFL.

Channel 9 are never going to get the rights without another commercial network simply because they won't help the game expand in northern states by showing them live because it clashes with NRL.

campbell said:
I could get used to this live footy on 10.
In Qld, if 9 had it, it would not have been live.They had the Coqboys on live on Friday night.The Broncos live last night.So the AFL would have been on delay in Qld.

You said it.

God I hate Nine.

Ten's stock is rising for me.

I love Channel Ten, in evey aspect, and not just the Footy. My only problem is that Walls arseh*le. I say Keep Hudo, and try bringing in Brayshaw and Newman (they are very connected, like you see in Any Given Sunday)... If they do that no one will bicker about their Footy at all.. Oh and get rid of that very wierd, very dumb Big Mascot thing they got going on!

BarcaRulz said:
I love Channel Ten, in evey aspect, and not just the Footy. My only problem is that Walls arseh*le. I say Keep Hudo, and try bringing in Brayshaw and Newman (they are very connected, like you see in Any Given Sunday)... If they do that no one will bicker about their Footy at all.. Oh and get rid of that very wierd, very dumb Big Mascot thing they got going on!

So you don't really love Channel Ten, in every aspect then...... :rolleyes:

I mean what did the Romans ever do for us? ;)

crackers57 said:
So you don't really love Channel Ten, in every aspect then...... :rolleyes:

I mean what did the Romans ever do for us? ;)

Channel 10 invented aquaducts?

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

monoccular said:
10 commentary >>>> 9 IMO. Camera work could lift a bit ie not quite so many close-ups of set shot kicker - let's see what is going on down the ground or on the lead.

Overall 10 >>> 9.

SBS >>>>>>> 9 cricket.

You take life, footy and cricket a little seriously.
Judging commentatry and camera work so detailedly, how old are are?
Do you get out much? Curiousity...

deck said:
The footage is channel 4 and the commentry is supplied by SBS.

Channel 4 provides footage and commentary. The studio bit with Simon Hill, Dean Jones and Greg Matthews is provided by SBS.

rfctigerarmy said:
No they havent. Geelong vs Melbourne wasnt live neither was the Kangaroos vs Port Adelaide.

It won't be live in the home state if the game is not sold out.

Im The Gun said:
Ten is NOT showing every final live.
If it was really live there wouldn't be a 3 second delay and I could listen to MMM without and Channel 10 at the same time.

Ten is the worst of the 3 at the moment, they haven't moved forward since getting the rights, I can't believe they missed the pickett bump, you should have enough cameras to cover every part of the ground for finals, not just for those at home, but for the players out there who get reported.

They didn't actually miss the Pickett bump. Shot 1, Cassisi blocked the view. The shot that showed the incident the best was the general play camera, which was following the play when the incident first occured, that shot wasn't replayed though.

AdelUniCrowFan said:
Channel 4 provides footage and commentary. The studio bit with Simon Hill, Dean Jones and Greg Matthews is provided by SBS.

It won't be live in the home state if the game is not sold out.

They didn't actually miss the Pickett bump. Shot 1, Cassisi blocked the view. The shot that showed the incident the best was the general play camera, which was following the play when the incident first occured, that shot wasn't replayed though.

so why wasnt the best shot replyed? then?

like there commentry but there camera work is sh.ithouse

Fire said:
Watching this has made me realise what a disgrace channel 9 are.
not to mention, SBS gave decent alalysis and details of every WC match in 2002, regardless of if they are covering it or not.

Channel 9, given the "premium" matches of the World Cup, had a pathetic panel of no names analising only the games they played.

Re footy:
I'm just glad that there are 3 different channels covering the footy (9, 10 and foxtel). I like the variety. If i had to listen to the same commentators for each 8 games each week i would go nuts! 9 have the better camera work, but are often the more 'annoying" channel. I dont care who has the rights in the next deal as long as their are two free to air channels and foxtel. Although 9 do **** over NSW and Qld viewers and will do so while they have the NRL. But be glad the ABC wont go for them, I was watching their coverage of Bendigo Vs Sandringham on the weekend and one of there main cameras had water all over it for most of the game! (obviously couldn't afford to cover or at leat whipe the camera). following that, Camera work would be a major potential problem if SBS went after the footy and one most hope they would sub contract the channel 9 camera crew.

Cricket:
SBS takes Channel 4's coverage, while foxtel takes sky's coverage. sky's commentators seem to be a little bit more subdued than channel 4s, however they both seem to use the same cameras (but have different editors)!
I reckon 9's coverage of the cricket is much better for all the extra graphics and analysis however all of the adds annoy the bajeegars out of me!

I think both 9 and 10 have reasonably good footy coverage. I have my gripes (Sos's commentary, Eddie's commentary etc). 10 are getting better at what they do, they still often manage to stuff up replays etc, but really it is all quite good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel Nine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back