Opinion Charlie Curnow Leap

Remove this Banner Ad

Imo a confidence issue. He's just learning in real time what his body can and cannot do these days.

Even if it can do ~90% of what it used to the amount of trauma his knee has gone through it's natural for him to be tentative when live bullets are flying vs in a controlled training environment. Sure things can go wrong then as well but there's not as many variables and as much speed as in a live game.

I'll give him a month or so before I'm really concerned about him. His touch is off as is his leap and power but he's learning the timing of the real game again.

Last week he looked a yard off the pace and like he’d had Shaun Hampson’s saucepan hands surgically attached, but this week started to look like a proper handful, going at the ball decisively. If the leap returns… look the **** out.

2 years out, he's 25. His body has had time to mature but his game hasn't had the same opportunity.

Perhaps it's as simple as he's heavier now and a little more grounded. Could be looking to use his strength ahead of his leap. Could be simply a lack of match fitness, not reading the ball super well yet. Let's see whether it comes back to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That fourth goal was pure bliss.

He’s a very mercurial player, even before the injuries he would go through patches of little impact and then kick a bag.

When he’s on though he’s even better to watch than Harry

I reckon we saw the old Charlie leap last week when he took that mark in/right beside the goal square. 45 second mark below:

He didn't sit on anyone so it didn't get the recognition but he was UP there, if someone was in front of him he'd have been on their shoulders for sure. Taylor jumped behind him but didn't get near it.

My favourite thing about Charlie is his total disdain for the post-match interview when he kicks a bag. He spends the whole time looking back at his teammates, just wanting to get over and celebrate with them.

It's all about the team for Charlie, couldn't care less about the personal accolades :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Charlie Curnow Leap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back