Wesley Sneijder
Charlie Dixon

r3557801636470.jpg

D.O.B- 23/09/90
Weight- 97 (at time of writing)
Height- 200 (see above)
Birthplace- Cairns
Recruited from- Cairns Saints.

One of the first three youngsters drafted to the team, Charles Dixon is an 18 year old KP forward/Ruckman and is currently the Vice Captain of the Gold Coast Football Club.
The professionalism Dixon has shown towards his football has obviously impressed Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna, who named the former Cairns Saint the club’s vice-captain. It is not an honour bestowed – or accepted – lightly. Dixon said he was fully aware of the responsibilities associated with the position. "I’m stoked about it. It’s a huge honour to be named vice-captain," he said. "I feel very privileged to be part of the club. They are a great bunch of blokes to be around and to be given a leadership responsibility is huge.

Charlie was born & bred in Cairns, Queensland. Originally playing in the U18's, he quickly made the step up to A grade, where he dominated, with the safest pair of hands since Jonathon Brown, just as well as he did in the lower grades. Originally a Basketballer, playing state ball for a number of years, he switched codes to play AFL in 2003. After graduating high school in 2007, he travelled south to Brisbane to play for Redlands in the AFLQ and last year also represented his state at the under 18 national championships in Melbourne.

A quote from the GCFC website:
he has an outstanding work ethic, very strong hands, and is a fierce competitor when the ball hits the ground

Suffering from OP early on, Charlie is looking forward to an injury free season and destroying anyone and anything in his way, in true Dicko fashion.
"It’s very frustrating," the 200cm full-forward said of the injury. I’ve sat down with the coaches and we’ve had a talk about how we’re going to manage it. While I would love to be out there this week I have to think long term. I’ve been back in full training for a while now. I’m doing the same workload as everybody else plus a bit extra to get my fitness up."

Dixon is a very confident young man.
"I think we’ll be up there in the TAC Cup. I think we can play finals for sure," he said. "It should be the goal of every club to play finals footy at the start of the season. You’ve got to have that confidence in yourself."

But also manages to stay grounded and humble at the same time.
Dixon said the local teenagers were not getting ahead of themselves. "We're just concentrating on the TAC Cup and under-18 level and we'll move our way up from there."

charliedixon.jpg
0652251500.jpg

depvccvc.jpg
47031093651755451165127.jpg

47031093651835453165127.jpg
47031093651875454165127.jpg

Just had a chat with Dicko. Talked a little bit about how his footy is going.

He was saying they won yesterday, which puts them in second coming into the finals.. Also asked him about Karmichael Hunt. He was saying its a great coup, and hopefully will put 'em on the map.. He seemed very excited at having Hunt coming to GC.

I quizzed him on his injury as well. He told me "it's all good and I'm starting to kick some goals", which is good to hear.

23_CharlieDixon.jpg

DETAILS
JUMPER # 23
DOB 23/09/1990
HEIGHT 200cm
WEIGHT 101kg
FORMER CLUB Redland, QLD

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/player-profiles/charlie-dixon/

Standing two metres tall, Cairns-raised Charlie Dixon is a physically imposing and creative key forward with strong hands, a raking right boot, uncanny below-the-knee skills, and a real taste for multiple efforts at the fall of the ball.

A promising junior regional basketballer who turned to football relatively late, his rare ‘big man’ athleticism caught the eye of football scouts a few years back after a series of dominant performances for Cairns Saints.

Dixon was a standout at under 18 level for Queensland at the National Championships in 2009.

A natural on and off-field leader with a big heart and a bustling and aggressive approach to the game, big things are expected of him in 2011.

As much as I like this guy, and can't wait to see him develop, he was a complete gumby yesterday. Falling over, running under the ball and spilling marks. Was amusing to watch at times.

Hopefully he's a little better next week. :p

As much as I like this guy, and can't wait to see him develop, he was a complete gumby yesterday. Falling over, running under the ball and spilling marks. Was amusing to watch at times.

Hopefully he's a little better next week. :p

Heh I think he is going to be very hot and cold for awhile. Can't question his endeavor.

Apparently he was half blind in the first few games! That explains why he wasn't able to catch the ball at all. :D

Put his contact lenses in against Port, and was able to FINALLY stick those marks. Hope he keeps them in for the rest of the season. By far his best game on Saturday.

Heh I think he is going to be very hot and cold for awhile. Can't question his endeavor.

Exactly Thermo. He's only played 4 games, playing in the toughest position on the ground, in a struggling very, very young side. His endeavour has been awesome to this point. He's still growing into his body, learning what he's capable of and adjusting to the higher level of competition. Give him 2 - 3 years and a good run with injuries, and he could well become one of the premier KPFs in the competition. Blokes his size who move like he does are very hard to find.

Nice to see Charlie getting amongst it in the curtain raiser for the weekends match... 4 goals, and promising that one of our big forwards has put half a hand up :thumbsu:

I didn't see the game myself, but the NEAFL match wrap goes on to say, "Dixon in a spurt particularly in the third quarter was outstanding, his best quarter of footy for the year.”

Now, a bit of consistency and some more goals Charlie and we might get you up in the big league again :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another 3 goals to C. Dixon, and have heard one of the best on the day in the NEAFL against Brisbane. I didn't see the game, can anyone give a report on how the big unit is travelling?

Could be earning himself another crack in the firsts?

I was extremely impressed with Dixon's game in the seniors on Saturday.

It was noticable that his aggression, intensity and desire was a huge factor in how well he played.

When the ball was in his 'zone" he always seemed a chance to get it or at least have a positive input as to where the ball might end up.

It will great to watch his season unfold.:thumbsu:

Agreed GTB. We've just got to keep playing him. The more he plays the better he will get. Liked that bit of play on the wing where he held off 2 North players in a marking contest before earning a free kick. He is a big boy and that will worry a lot of opponents. I just hope the coaching staff don't drop him for Fraser if he has one or two poor games in a row. He needs consistent exposure at the top level.

Had to laugh when Dermott was having a go at him for not impacting a particular contest (as he tried to avoid colliding with Harley) and Tony Shaw says "so you're saying it's OK for him to murder Bennell?"

Had to laugh when Dermott was having a go at him for not impacting a particular contest (as he tried to avoid colliding with Harley) and Tony Shaw says "so you're saying it's OK for him to murder Bennell?"
Haha yeah funny different perspectives hey? Dermott playing the CHF, and Shaw the smaller midfield type player and commented accordingly :thumbsu:

Loved Dixon's effort on the weekend.

This is exactly what he needed to do if he wanted to stick around at the Suns, IMO. Shed some of the bulk, become more mobile, add a second string to his bow and stick it out in the 2s until he hit form. Given his efforts over the weekend, he's overtaken Gorringe for that current position.

Dixon may not always win the tap (which he sometimes does), but I have very rarely seen a ruckman use second and third efforts to TACKLE the opponent guy who the other ruck tapped to. He's a defensive machine. Love it.

Anyone who watched the Swans game yesterday closely would be able to tell you just how hard Charlie Dixon was working off the ball. Perhaps even the hardest off the ball besides Gary. He was chasing when he knew he couldn't catch players, tackling whenever possible, shepherding etc. A big difference to the Charlie Dixon last year, who, at times, looked disinterested in football.

This guy has the work ethic now that is required to succeed in the AFL. The Suns better snap him up soon because he is a quality player that can play ruck, forward and back. Given the fact that this guy has been there since day one with the Gold Coast (first player to sign for them), he would really envisage exactly what this club could and should be in a few years.

A big fan of Charlie Dixon. He won me over with his game earlier in the year at Manuka against the Giants.

He is hard at it and makes 2nd and 3rd attempts. Takes a good contested mark and generally makes good decisions.

Can be play in various positions. However I prefer him up forward and on-the-ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back