Universal Love Cheer Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

I am curious. Are there any Geelong BF posters who are or were once members of the Geelong Cheer Squad? They turn out week after week, rain, hail or shine, and do their thing.

I had a close look at the cheer squad last Friday and couldn't believe how many "mature" aged members there are.

Are there perks in being a member of the cheer squad? Does the squad practice? How many chants does it have in its repertoire?

I am curious. Are there any Geelong BF posters who are or were once members of the Geelong Cheer Squad? They turn out week after week, rain, hail or shine, and do their thing.

I had a close look at the cheer squad last Friday and couldn't believe how many "mature" aged members there are.

Are there perks in being a member of the cheer squad? Does the squad practice? How many chants does it have in its repertoire?
Veggie patches are usually accustomed to enduring the elements...

Guaranteed a grand final ticket? o_O

That and getting onto the ground before the match would be pretty cool imo. That is where the coolness ends tho.

"How many chants do they have..?" I believe was your last question.
Noted! Thought for a moment you were saying there were more than one but less than 3 cheer squad members posting on BF.

The squad really does need to engage in Best Practice instead of same old, same old. Perhaps an AFL sponsored trip to the USA?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the perks of the cheer squad are -
- seat tickets at every game for only $5, at many games the person on the cheer squad side of the aisle is paying $5 for their seat and the person on the other side of the aisle is paying $40 for their seat.
- finals tickets as long as you go to enough games (they used to use a "brown points" type of system).
- a chance to go out on the field to hold up the banner when the players run through it.
- discounted bus travel and accomadation at interstate games.
I spat the dummy with them about the "brownie points" system, but I believe the ones who started that have since left the cheer squad.
There are quite a few older people in the cheer squad, I think Catman is nearly 50.

Some of the perks of the cheer squad are -
- seat tickets at every game for only $5, at many games the person on the cheer squad side of the aisle is paying $5 for their seat and the person on the other side of the aisle is paying $40 for their seat.
- finals tickets as long as you go to enough games (they used to use a "brown points" type of system).
- a chance to go out on the field to hold up the banner when the players run through it.
- discounted bus travel and accomadation at interstate games.
I spat the dummy with them about the "brownie points" system, but I believe the ones who started that have since left the cheer squad.
There are quite a few older people in the cheer squad, I think Catman is nearly 50.

Finals included???!!??
How much per year?
If that is finals (and presuming GF) then screw it, I'm in!

Finals included???!!??
How much per year?
If that is finals (and presuming GF) then screw it, I'm in!
You're prepared to degrade yourself, wear blue and white make-up, put on 45 kg, wave a stick with blue and white paper ribbon taped to the end, and sing out GEE---LONG, clap, clap, clap?

You're prepared to degrade yourself, wear blue and white make-up, put on 45 kg, wave a stick with blue and white paper ribbon taped to the end, and sing out GEE---LONG, clap, clap, clap?

No.
But I AM prepared to pay 5 bucks per game, look where the cheer squad is sitting and go find an empty seat elsewhere to sit :p
Or stand.

I haven't been in ear-shot of the cheer squad for quite some time. Outside of "Gee-long (clap clap clap), Gee-long (clap clap clap)"....what else can there possibly be? :)
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEE---LONG (a la 21 minute mark of 2011 GF), although that was not started by the cheer squad.

I don't know what other chants exist (there used to be the "Give me a 'G', give me an 'E', etc, but even that ended in the old 'GEE---LONG, clap, clap, clap)

Is there an inspirational song we could make ours and teach the cheer squad to master? We are The Champions type thing? Or Barry Crocker's ripper, "Come on Geelong"?

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEE---LONG (a la 21 minute mark of 2011 GF), although that was not started by the cheer squad.

I don't know what other chants exist (there used to be the "Give me a 'G', give me an 'E', etc, but even that ended in the old 'GEE---LONG, clap, clap, clap)

Is there an inspirational song we could make ours and teach the cheer squad to master? We are The Champions type thing? Or Barry Crocker's ripper, "Come on Geelong"?

Yeah I must admit while I couldn't imagine sitting in the cheer squad chanting all day, I do like it when we get on a roll and the Gee-long clap clap clap chant spreads around the ground. It's a kind of natural thing, starts like spot fires all around the ground and rolls in to one. I enjoyed the 2011 GF GEEEEEEELOOOONG one....the Pies went a little early with theirs that day ;)

I suppose the constantly moving nature of Aussie rules makes it a bit hard to get the inspirational song out like you might in cricket or slow parts of soccerr, what with all the "baaaaallllllss & yeeeeeesss" going on. Perhaps like the long GEEEEEEEEEloooooong chant, a song could be brought out when a game is won and we're just playing out the final minutes.

I've never heard the majority of any crowd start singing the team's song before the game is over, maybe that is an innovation we could bring in. A nice slow version, a couple of repetitions. I'd be in that. Way better than Jerusalem :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Cheer Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back