Cheersquads

Remove this Banner Ad

-PC28-

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2002
Rockin' In My Rockin' Chair
Not another dig at the cheersquad, however, have thought about this for a while, and Saturday's incident has made me think even more.

Have cheersquads run their used by dates? I was thinking the other day, that with the changing times of the AFL, that this was infact true.

Our as an example has always been an older group, and this alone would indicate that either they are run by a dictatorship (something i've suggested) or that the only people interested are the older people.

I understand that this is probably a unique experience and culture thing, but i just think that this maybe something from a by gone era.

Besides a banner, what do they bring to the game that other supporters can't?

To be honest I don't have it in me to volunteer my time like some to do what they do as a cheer squad member.

But in saying that, the other reason would be that I don't have it in me to put up with the bull**** that went with it.

From a outsider looking in, those that dedicate there time to the club and keep doing so without much gratitude from members with-in why the hell would i do this.

For some cheer squad members they are positive and are talked over when it comes to group discussions, I would be honestly interested to find out how many new ideas are passed on a weekly/yearly basis. or do you stick to what you know.

I think it is time for the club to look into the volunteer side and look at how it represents a club.

I am new to this cheer squad thing, and at a recent rugby match watch the ed the followers of the aussie rugby team - all dress in gold t-shirts and chanting there heart out.

Although i'm not a aussie supporter I difinately felt the surge of energy and some loyalty to the aussies

we all support our club, but do we do it positively or negatively

PHP:
a broken down bus
for one the bus aint broken down we just traveled to sydney and bak in it and if u really must know its at a depo where it stays whilst not being used becuase pplz keep breakin into it at the footy club

PHP:
people that spit
u dont know the story u seen the basics in the paper so dont say **** until u know the full story!!!

PHP:
alot of people that take up 3 seats (not that there's anything wrong with that of course)
i hate it wen pplz judge other ppl by there weight yes we may have a few big boned pplz in our squad but they r the nicest pplz u could meet!!

ALOT of use dont understand how much time and effort is need from people in the cheer squad these pplz are dedicated to our club and we may not seem important to other doggies supporters but to the club we are very valiable and help them out so much use dont understand!!

so plz b4 judgeing just think!!!

HOPE I DIDNT AFFEND ANYONE COZ I DONT MEAN TO!!

ok as a pom this cheer-squad thing seems a bit bizarre. I kind of understand it when it comes to the away games (a la the barmy army at the cricket) when you don't have many people there you need to be in a group to be heard.
However it seems a sort of odd focal point at home matches. What is it's purpose, is it limited to a certain numbers - ie couldn't everyone be the 'cheersquad' - hope everyone cheers from time to time (though obviously this year hasn't been too good). What stuff/work goes on behind the scenes with the cheersquad.
Are there better different ways that would create more atmosphere - or most importantly give stronger home team support.
As this would be something i'd hope could be a plus for the doggies. ie if you can get to the stage where teams know there'll be a really positive doggies atmosphere at our home matches.
By the way - this is all a bit difficult to judge from up in Canberra - so I have no intention of offending etc, just interested to know the purpose of the cheersquad.

And, whatever the story, spitting, that's way out of line...

a broken down bus

As rache said we just got back from Sydney in that bus and it went just fine. There is nothing wrong with that bus, and you have a good time on the bus, so dont knock the bus DD17 before you know what you are on about.

people that spit

There is alot more the this issue that ppl dont know about, so please, unless you were where it happened, shut your bloody trap DD17. Hope you aren't this pathetic to your friends DD17

alot of people that take up 3 seats (not that there's anything wrong with that of course)

Just wondering DD17 have you actually met any of these ppl or are you just a judgemental bitch? At least those people get off there butt and volunteer for the club they love. Do you????

Originally posted by chels_09

There is alot more the this issue that ppl dont know about, so please, unless you were where it happened, shut your bloody trap DD17. Hope you aren't this pathetic to your friends DD17

How can you tell fellow bulldog supporters to shut up about this? A member of an official part of the club has been kicked out of an AFL venue for spitting at a player. This is an action that has found its way into the public domain, so it is certainly something that we the supporters have every right to hold the cheer squad accountable for, just as we do with any other official part of the club that behaves in an unacceptable manner. This behaviour reflects poorly on the cheersquad as a whole, and as a result it reflects poorly on OUR club. If there are mittigating circumstances, explain them or just shut up and cop the deserved criticism on the chin.

Re: Re: Cheersquads

Originally posted by dancingdoggie17
a broken down bus

people that spit

They knock the cheersquad Gem, they are our greatest insight to the missing link.

Whatever the circumstances, spitting at players is not on. I think everyone realises the hard work that members of the cheersquad put in....and sorry but you guys need to work on the cheering aspect of it.

my arse takes up three seats - does that mean I can be part of the cheersquad. Is that why we have a small group

what a pathetic why to describe the cheer squad - you have managed to generalised that most of the cheer squad is obese or at least have enormous arses.

as for the spitting - my head is in the sand and if it came from the media then in was blown out of proportion anyways.

as for the bus - it has character and I think it is cool we have a bus like this. Admittedly it is without a bit of age - but to get a new one would take away the charm

I for one would like to see life in the cheer squad, but I don't think personal attacks is very nice.

By either cheer squad members or forum members.

Now kiss and make up

lol tads u r a funni lil wako nako lol
as i am in the cheer squad and have been for 16 years i love it so much and u dont understand how much hard work is put into it!!
i totally agree we need to work on our chants and be more louder but alot of the pplz are stubburn and if were loosin wont cheer which i hate!! i cheer no matter what and majority of the time loose muh bloodi voice heheh

and i dont wanna be rude but
out of our chher squad ill admitt there are a few big boned pplz and i can tell u this they dont take up 3 chairs lmao

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by rache16

and i dont wanna be rude but
out of our chher squad ill admitt there are a few big boned pplz and i can tell u this they dont take up 3 chairs lmao

you can say overweight, big, voluptuous(my favourite) or volumptuous as some one has just told me:D

my arse doesn't take up that much yet either - but if i can have two it makes for a very comfy afternoon at the footy why they took away bench seats is beyond me.

anyway back to the cheersquad - POSITIVITY fantastic concept

Originally posted by TADS
you can say overweight, big, voluptuous(my favourite) or volumptuous as some one has just told me:D

my arse doesn't take up that much yet either - but if i can have two it makes for a very comfy afternoon at the footy why they took away bench seats is beyond me.

anyway back to the cheersquad - POSITIVITY fantastic concept

Of you go to join then. Give Garry Munn a call and pop down there on Thursday night.

Originally posted by -PC28-
Of you go to join then. Give Garry Munn a call and pop down there on Thursday night.

i don't spit and the bus is to cool for me - or is it my arse do fit thru the doors

Originally posted by -PC28-
The bus is cool if you have a red nose and a purple afro and your name is "Bonzo The Great"

"bonzo the great fat arse" Thats me and I spit water from my flower

I was sitting a few rows back from the cheer squad with my mates and it seemed to be pretty cut and dry to me.If you were in the cheer squad you may remember a rather intoxicated blonde headed collingwood supporter running down after the incident and giving the people in the area a spray he was with me and I must say I am glad he did it.Spitting on someone because of a goal umpiring decision is a bit hmmm unbalanced is probably the word.

I am in the cheersquad and I will admit it. The cheersquad does a lot to support the club and players and I feel I should do more to help out on a Thursday with the banner but work travel keeps me from doing so, not getting home till 6 - 6.30 pm most days. I was sitting about 5 rows back from the incident and wondered what had happened until the word had spread. It was just a couple of weeks ago that a newsletter had been circulated amongst the members about this kind of behaviour, even covering the incident where the ball was thrown back and had hit Rocca on the shoulder. Although from what I hear that was a mishap, the ball was not intentionally thrown at Rocca in the first place. If the spitting is true and was intentional the person involved deserves to wear the full brunt of their consequences and as a result the cheersquad will be fined a sum of money for the actions of this person as well.
The annoying thing I find though is that a few of our players have mentioned that they are constantly spat upon during the course of the game and they wear it, to coin a phrase, and just get on with it. Rocca on the other hand went whinging to the goal umpire as soon as he saw or felt something untowards him. He was baiting the crowd too.
I think the cheersquad has been unfairly targeted, it is something that is certianly not condoned as it is promoted as a safe area for all family members to cheer the team along with fellow club members, as you may have seen when those that came down with their drinks and sat in the area and were quickly ushered out. The Bulldog supporter as well.
Just don't tar all the members with the same brush, we all don't have barge arses and we enjoy being part of the squad.
Gary and David do a great job each week getting all the gear to the grounds and should be congratulated on their efforts

Originally posted by madone
II think the cheersquad has been unfairly targeted

Nonsense

if people in the cheersquad behave like that they deserve to be dealt with severely. If the rest of the cheersquad thinks that is harsh then they should also be moved along.

This kind of pathetic behaviour (doesn't matter whether supporters of other clubs do it) should never ever be tolerated. The club works so hard on its' image and to try and change the attitudes of the community about us but one stupid person doing one stupid act can undo all that good work and stain our club's image for a very long time.

We are far better of getting rid of these idiots.

CHEER
n.
1. Lightness of spirits or mood; gaiety or joy: a happy tune, full of cheer.
2. A source of joy or happiness; a comfort.

SQUAD
n.
1. A small group of people organized in a common endeavor or activity.
2. The smallest tactical unit of military personnel.
3. A small unit of police officers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheersquads

Remove this Banner Ad

Back