Past Cheynee Stiller (2006-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think I am breaking any news here but I just think that Matthews demands that his players play a team oriented and disciplined game. I reckon he has pretty much said "Right, if you blokes can't do the team things, then you won't stay in the side". It is not about turning them into a bunch of taggers but simply saying that each player needs to be able to play accountable footy on his opponent when circumstances demand. It is also about telling the players that Black, Power and Lappin have earnt the right to focus on the footy and not really worry about their opponent - these young blokes haven't.

It is a lesson that Shermo and Riska have learnt - to start from the role you've been given and then worry about what else you can contribute. Maybe Phyllis, Albie etc have to learn the same thing.

Someone needs to point out to Cheynee that the blokes in different jumpers to his are his opposition and he needs to get rid of the ball before they get near him.

Problem was our lack of run which makes everyone's decision making and disposal look bad. Stiller worked hard to give someone to kick it to, and got plenty of the ball, but didn't have much to kick to himself, and he doesn't have the pace to take players on.

I really hope that Cheynee is given the next 6 weeks to make a case for himself.

He doesnt deserve to get judged solely on a game that most our players had their colours lowered.

yep he deserves another run. geez he looked like the only guy out there trying to offer a target. he'd run to space to get it from a kick in, only to turn and see that there was absolutely no-one else to kick to.

Our young blokes, like everyone, weren't particularly effective, but were at least valiant IMO. It's the older guys, I think who should be putting their hands up for this one.

Link

Stiller, who has taken Sherman's place, was called in from outside the 25-man squad named on Thursday which could lead to a $5000 fine.

The AFL football operations department will rule on the change early next week, but is likely to be satisfied with Brisbane's explanation that Stiller was a like-for-like replacement and decide against imposing a fine.

stiller13lr4.jpg

AFLQ

Cheynee Stiller did plenty of good things in the midfield and used the ball cleverly. Stiller played wide of Eagles ace Matthew Payne in a roving role, Payne too being a significant factor in the game.
Despite carrying a heavy flu into the game, he racked up 30 possessions until being rested halfway through the last quarter.
He received plenty of buffeting at the stoppages, but produced his usual workrate to win the ball in all parts of the field.

2007 Review
Quigley's 2008 Review

2008 End of Season Review

Following on from an impressive 2007 Stiller won the 3km time trial in the preseason and looked like he was set for a big season. But he could not cement a spot and was in and out of the side all year. It looked like he was a bit unlucky at the start getting dropped after round 1 and then again in round 7 after three 18+ possession games. He came back in round 12, but perhaps with his confidence dented a bit, he struggled for form and was dropped again after getting 9 possessions in round 17.

Stiller is perhaps a victim of the modern penchant for speed. A bit like Hadley last year, the axe fell on him even though there were probably worse players. But while he may have been a bit unlucky it is also true that he has gone backwards in his development. Last year he averaged 20.2 disposals a game, this year he averaged 15.2, only once getting in the 20s. As a link man that is not good enough. Also his disposal seemed to digress. Last year he was quite reliable but this year he seemed to lose a bit of confidence in his execution.

It shows how quickly things can change when at the start of the year he was one of the more promising up and coming young players, and now it looks like he will need to show some very good signs next year or he will find himself on the scrap heap. He is not the type of player that will break games apart so it is essential that consistency becomes one of his strong points.

stillerjz3.jpg

aau7gh.jpg

How Stiller going anyone know? Was dissapointed last year but he looks like a hard worker so I am expecting him to bounce back this season. With his running abilty i think he is important to the side and needs to get his confidence back in season 2009. Would he be in the best 22 this season?

With Wayne Brittian at the club and being Stillers coach at the eagles before he was picked up by the lions brittian may be the spark that stiller needs this season?

He just seems to fly under the radar and havn't heard much about him this preseaon??

MS86

Stiller is a decent all round player, but just lacks the dynamism to demand selection. He is competing against guys like Notting, Dalziell, Rischitelli and Brennan for a spot, and for Stiller to overtake them I feel he needs to add another string to his bow, eg. kick goals.

Link

Stiller muscling into Lions midfield
By Scott Beveridge
5:30 PM Tue 03 March, 2009

A BIGGER body and more aggression will be the key to Cheynee Stiller forcing his way into the Brisbane Lions' midfield this year.
Stiller played 10 games for the Lions in 2008 and spent much of the season dominating at AFLQ level.
Led by Black, the engine room boasts Luke Power, Michael Rischitelli, Brad Dalziell, Jared Brennan and Jed Adcock, who are all running into form.
Stiller’s name could well be added to the list after he picked up an impressive 19 possessions in the narrow defeat to Essendon in round two of the NAB Cup.
“It’s always nice to get your hands on the footy, I’ve just got to make sure I keep making each possession a winner and use the footy to the best of my ability,” Stiller said.
“I’m looking to play a lot more games this year and contribute to the team.”
Stiller is looking to muscle his way into the midfield, and his work in the off season has paid off, with a more imposing physique.
“I’ve worked on getting a lot stronger in the body and stronger around the ball,” the 22-year-old said.
“Obviously the skills have got to keep on improving too, so they’re a couple of the things I’ve been trying to keep working on.”

stiller19.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stiller is the forgotten man. His form was not that bad last year, but he has plummeted in the pecking order and gone from one of our most promising younger players to fighting for his spot on the list. The good news is that as fast as his stocks can plummet they can go back up just as quick.

Stiller is the forgotten man. His form was not that bad last year, but he has plummeted in the pecking order and gone from one of our most promising younger players to fighting for his spot on the list. The good news is that as fast as his stocks can plummet they can go back up just as quick.
Very close to my 22 for round 1. Selection wise, I have him ahead of Selwood, Rich, Notting, Hooper, Polkinghorne and probably on a par with or just behind Hawksley. The greater physicality was noticeable last week and puts him in good stead for round 1. The only reason I'd leave him out is that he's a bit 'vanilla' in that he doesn't have an outstanding attribute, other than pure ball winning. I wouldn't blame Vossy if he went for the defensive capability of Selwood, the tackling pressure of Hooper/Polkinghorne or the potential of Rich.

Very close to my 22 for round 1. Selection wise, I have him ahead of Selwood, Rich, Notting, Hooper, Polkinghorne and probably on a par with or just behind Hawksley. The greater physicality was noticeable last week and puts him in good stead for round 1. The only reason I'd leave him out is that he's a bit 'vanilla' in that he doesn't have an outstanding attribute, other than pure ball winning. I wouldn't blame Vossy if he went for the defensive capability of Selwood, the tackling pressure of Hooper/Polkinghorne or the potential of Rich.

Wins the ball ok, always has, but as always is still too slow, way too slow, both by hand and foot.

Doesn't anyone teach "getting the ball onto foot very rapidly" techniques these days?

Stiller in action in the practice match against Melbourne:

stiller.jpg

Photo courtesy of Cairns.com.au

stiller2.jpg

Photo courtesy of Cairns.com.au

stiller3.jpg

Photo courtesy of Afl.com.au

Stiller has played all 3 preseason games so far, which suggests he is in the mix of players playing for a spot in round 1.

Link

ON SHAKY GROUND: CHEYNEE STILLER
Stiller’s first two seasons of AFL were fantastic, averaging 20 disposals. But in 2008, he battled to stay in the team, playing only 10 games and dropping his possession average to 15. One bad season can be forgiven, but if Stiller does not become a regular in 2009, don’t expect him to be a Lion in 2010.

Adrian Fletcher

Has put 5kg on which is great. He’s played on a wing for two years but to give us flexibility we want Cheynee to play inside and outside this year.

scaled.php

I cannot believe of all the players apparently on shaky ground, they choose Cheynee Stiller! I could name a few others actually, players who have contributed much less in the recent NAB games. Cheynee is doing alright and will return to form this year. The signs are there. I think he lost his spot to Johnstone in 08 and probably lost a bit of confidence too. People at the Club were saying Stiller was unlucky not to get picked but who could you leave out in his place back then. Stiller will be pushing hard to break into the team but he will make a significant difference when there.

Cheynee was probably on the second shakiest ground at the end of last year (after Harding). It wasn't so much that he was a lot worse than others, but that the constant dumping of him from the team (even after some of his better games) showed that Leigh had a distinct lack of confidence in him. He was always the first out, leaving in some youngsters of more dubious quality (at the time). The change of coach may or may not leave him on less shaky ground, but I suspect it'll be a wait-and-see until some way into the season proper.

Cheynee was probably on the second shakiest ground at the end of last year (after Harding). It wasn't so much that he was a lot worse than others, but that the constant dumping of him from the team (even after some of his better games) showed that Leigh had a distinct lack of confidence in him. He was always the first out, leaving in some youngsters of more dubious quality (at the time). The change of coach may or may not leave him on less shaky ground, but I suspect it'll be a wait-and-see until some way into the season proper.
I'd say, in the Shaky Stakes, Stiller would be in a photo finish with Selwood, Sherman, McGrath, Notting and, as you say, Harding. They had to name someone, I spose, but I'd probably have Selwood, Harding and Notting ahead of him in terms of shakiness, going on last season.

I cannot believe of all the players apparently on shaky ground, they choose Cheynee Stiller! I could name a few others actually, players who have contributed much less in the recent NAB games.

I don't think the write-up has factored in NAB Cup. Probably written over summer.

Besides, he has us finishing 5-8 so I'm not complaining too much!

Gee how things change fast. This time last year nigel lappin was saying Cheynee would be the one to watch in 08 and would be a 10 year player at the club. Now he is on shaky ground and may find himself without a contract for next year. I have always been a fan of stiller i just think we need someone who is ultra fit and can play different roles. With stiller putting on size do you think they are conditioning him to become a tagger in the next few seasons and selwood might find himself on the outer? Who would you rather on the list next season stiller or selwood? IMO Harding won't be offered another contract and tim notting will aslo be gone. I think i am leaning more towards keeping stiller then selwood, however i think selwood offers a lot to the team in the role he plays and can be very effective. Maybe they will both stay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Cheynee Stiller (2006-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back