Past Cheynee Stiller (2006-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

can't stand Stiller, reckon he's way too soft

his set shot with a few minutes to go was embaressing

for that alone he should be banished....

DUD

I feel he needs to go back to the link man role. Obviously needs to work on the basics but would like to see him playing a role where he runs into space all night and presents specifically focusing on helping the backline who have been struggling to get the ball out of late.

has to go at season's end in my opinion. just doesn't perform at afl standard most games. he has had long enough. who cares if he can tag, he's not good enough.

has to go at season's end in my opinion. just doesn't perform at afl standard most games. he has had long enough. who cares if he can tag, he's not good enough.

Yeah if he had blinding pace or something else we sorely lack, you could forgive his downsides but he just doesn't have anything that says "select me".

Similar younger slowish midfield type players like Rockliff, Polkinghorne and Redden are arguably already giving us more than Stiller and they have more upside to boot.

I hate talking about sacking players, but if he is still considered in our top 26-28 or so players at the ed of the year, we're struggling.

IMO Polk's job on GAJ and McLeod in the last couple of weeks spells trouble for Stiller. I can see Harwood coming in for him this week. May not outperform him immediately but would be fair to say he has more upside.

IMO Polk's job on GAJ and McLeod in the last couple of weeks spells trouble for Stiller. I can see Harwood coming in for him this week. May not outperform him immediately but would be fair to say he has more upside.
Do you think that Harwood is a genuine chance and does anybody else think so because I would love to see him replace Stiller!

So Stiller is the sausage on the fork this week....or is it Buchanan after his injury interrupted 4 games for the club(if game 1 counts)?.

Don't mind if they are dropped to give players who have earned a spot in the side a go but suggestions of dispensing with their services reminds me that calls for the heads of Merrett,Brennan,Sherman,McGrath and Rischitelli(among others)rang out loud on this board at various times in the past.

AFLQ

vs Morningside

Cheynee Stiller turned the ball over too often for his liking early but never stopped trying and finished with two goals.

Can you sack players before their contract is up? I think stiller signed until the end of the 2011 season, but if he isn't getting a game ahead of Jessie O'Brien then what's the point of keeping him on the list?

I have always like how hard he runs and remember him ripping carlton to shreads one night think he got nab rising star for that game, but the way the game is now with the mass rotations he just isn't fast enough to keep up.

Maybe if they cap the rotations next year he may get back to his best and be a contributor, but if not, he will no use to the team.

Yeah, i think the writing is on the wall with Stiller unable to get a game at the moment. He does try hard, has a good tank and is good on a wing, but he just doesn't have the hurt in his disposal. Doesn't have any other stand out attributes either such as contested ball or marking or tackling or reading the play. Doesn't have enough tools i think.

I havent had a chance to post much this year, but I thought I would make time to give Cheynee a plug. I saw the full game against West Coast on the telie last Saturday and thought Stiller was far from the worst Brisbane player out there. I was surprised a couple of times with the sureness of his ball handling under pressure and delivery of the ball by foot.

Reading the posts on bigfooty you get the impression he is hopeless. Obviously he doesnt read this stuff or a least is tough enough to not let it get to him.

Maybe he gets such bad press because his body language and approach appears to lack aggression and intensity. But his actual work on field is OK and at AFL standard. I think he is a 20 to 25 guy on the list type and hope he is kept on next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynch confirmed in commentary this evening that Stiller is contracted for another 12 months.

Well that's a 50/50 that'll be on our list next year. Interesting to see who people'll jump on instead.

Don't think Stiller would be on huge dollars, so im not sure cutting him would help much being that we would have to pay him out. I think Stiller is worth having, he is an ok depth player, he isn't being payed extra because he is a known name. If the likes of Selwood and TJ gone, he wouldn't be a bad option for a depth player. Certainly a cheaper option than having TJ running around in the 2's as well.

2009 Review

2010 End of Season Review

Games - 9
Best and Fairest - 7.5 votes (=22nd)
Dreamteam - 587 points; $299,500 (+$14,100)
Supercoach - 554 points; $347,600 (-$13,800)

AFLQ stats

Games - 7
Goals - 5
Best (top 6) - 3

On the Fringe

In his 5th season on the Lions list Stiller was an emergency in round 1 and then played against Carlton in round 2. Playing a tagging role he was matched on Kade Simpson, but when he was dragged into the defensive 50 he looked vulnerable. He was then switched to Murphy to get him back in the middle, but Murphy dominated. Stiller has never been known for his attacking flair. With his slow gait, and his floaty kicks he is not able to break apart defensive structures. And now that his defensive game was faltering it was becoming hard to see his value in the side.

He fell out of favour but was given a reprieve against Fremantle in round 7. He became the villain missing an important set shot late in the game, but of more concern was that he allowed Stephen Hill to run amok. Stiller was soon out of favour again, but he fought hard in the reserves and was given another chance in round 18. This time he seemed to be given less of a lock down role and more of a license to get the ball, evidenced by his 27 possession game against Adelaide. Overall he has making a bigger contribution than earlier in the year, and while he wasn’t good enough to stand out, he wasn’t bad enough to be dropped either.

With one year to go on his contract Stiller needs to have a good year. It is thought that proposed rules on limiting interchanges may benefit him by making his endurance running more of an asset. The Lions will be fielding a depleted midfield, and if he can’t get a regular game it will be hard to justify his spot his on the list.

stiller.jpg

I recall this missed kick very well, since my son and I have often joked about it.

Key moment- is kicking from, let's be generous, 40m out but probably more like 35m, slight angle. Failed to make the distance. Not only that, but fell short by about 10m. A so-called professional footballer.

Link

Stiller, who has played 76 games, will be one of the most experienced players in Brisbane's team this Sunday. "I'm not sure what to expect, actually - it's in your (post-season) break, all that sort of stuff," he said.
"But once the boys get out there it will be reasonably full-on.
"I'm looking forward to it, it should be good to have that extra bit of leadership."

stiller4.jpg

Lions.com.au article about previous Lions rookie selections.

CHEYNEE STILLER
Stiller followed in the footsteps of his older brother Jeremy when he was selected by the Lions with Pick No.49 in the 2005 Rookie Draft.

The hard-running midfielder got his first opportunity to play seniors earlier than expected when he a surprise late inclusion to the team that played St Kilda in Round 3 of 2006.

He played 13 senior matches in 2006 and averaged a remarkable 20.9 disposals including a 28-possession performance against Carlton which earned him an AFL Rising Star Nomination.

Stiller has since been a regular fixture in the senior side and will be keen on adding to his 76 senior matches when he begins his sixth AFL season with the Lions next year.

Re: NAB Challenge Matches 2011

Can anyone tell me why Stiller is still on our list? My only thought is we've kept him to use as a stopper now the T Selwood is gone

Welcome to the forum mikey127

IMO Stiller is still on our list because he is a good ordinary footballer with reasonable all round skills. He will follow the coach’s instructions and attempts to play the role assigned to him with diligence and thought. He also is prepared to run, create and chase although his lack of acceleration means he is not dangerous when doing so. He lacks a “hurt” factor with his disposals and, at times, poor decision making mean he will never be a star. He is a classic 20 to 25 player on the list and as such plays an integral role in the make up of the list, basically used to plug gaps as more skilful players develop or to provide coverage against injury.

My perception is that attempts to turn him into a stopper have been unsuccessful and if he is to consolidate a position in the side he must establish himself in the mid-field rotation

knaf

president, secretary, treasurer and only member of the Cheynee Stiller band wagon

ps you are off the thread topic but I appreciate the opportunity to defend Cheynee.

Can anyone tell me why Stiller is still on our list? My only thought is we've kept him to use as a stopper now the T Selwood is gone

I have been a harsh critic of Stiller in the past, however I have come around since the later parts of 2010. I have heard a lot of supporters call Stiller soft but I don't think that has been the case for a while now. From the 3 games I have seen in the pre-season comp this year he has been one of the more consistent and including his form in the back half of last season, he definitely is in the top 22 at the club and IMO is on course to change a few people's perception in 2011.

I think the problem with Stiller is that he just hasn't continued to develop as well as people would have liked. Especially with such a young team, i think there is a spot for him in the 22, he is the kind of player that will do a role or a job for the team, and i think that's important.

His downfall might be our young list however. With so many young players, if a few of these guys pick it up, he could easily be jumped over and pushed out of the 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Cheynee Stiller (2006-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back