Pets chickens

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok so our chooks have been going well for over a year now.

A while back the daughter (15 yo) of a family friend bought two chicks from Petstock as a suprise for our now 3yo daughter.

Now one is a rooster. It started to crow last night. It's voice hasn't broken yet and sounds like some kid is getting strangled at 4am.

So it has been listed free to good home on gumtree and someone is going to pick it up tomorrow. But I need to do something about the crowing.

So if I put it in a moving box to keep it as dark as possible will it delay the crowing to a more civilized hour, when the neighbours and us have woken naturally after a good night's sleep?
Yeah- I agree with Kram. Or just keep it inside as well to keep the volume down. Neighbours don't seem to mind if a) the noise is confined to your laundry and b) if they know it's not staying with you for much longer.

Just an aside- Petstock SHOULD take the roosters back and swap them for hens for FREE. I know City Farmers do- those chickens are meant to have all been sexed before sale.

Since I have let my red hens out from their HUGE coop in the backyard, they have lost most of their fleas :) I did give them Ivomec on the weekend to help them ditch their last couple but I think it's the dustbaths that are helping keep them free of fleas.

Don't be worried if they get into the sand and come out all filthy. It dries off quickly and drops off ;) I had almost a dozen filthy little black chickens running around at one stage :)
What do you mean by fleas? Stick fast fleas surely wont be knocked off by dust bathing, do you mean lice?

Ivomec must be super effective against stickfast, haven't seen a single one since they drank the stuff the first time a couple of years ago.

What type? Australorp or something?

Yep Australorp. You can see that she got a bad debeaking and at the time I had no idea about the practice. Not sure how necessary it is.

What do you mean by fleas? Stick fast fleas surely wont be knocked off by dust bathing, do you mean lice?

Ivomec must be super effective against stickfast, haven't seen a single one since they drank the stuff the first time a couple of years ago.
No- their combs were covered in stickfast fleas and now they're not. I had not given them Ivomec for months but somehow the fleas had dropped off. It was weird.
And only the chooks out the back had the fleas. not one flea in 20 chickens in the front pen over 10 years. They only recently (past few years) had got the lice. Too many bloody pigeons.

Yep Australorp. You can see that she got a bad debeaking and at the time I had no idea about the practice. Not sure how necessary it is.
I've never taken a beak off - actually that's a lie- I did have to trim one or two chooks whose beaks got overgrown and it didn't look like they were able to eat properly so I nipped a little bit off. I don't think it's necessary but then I've not had any nasty chooks that needed it. Perhaps if they're always attacking others, it's a good idea to do it. What do you think, Kram81? Juggalo- is she eating OK and drinking OK? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about it being a good or bad debeaking.

We found a red rooster running around the school oval a few years ago- he was a beauty. His beak had been neatly clipped and he had no spurs and he was obviously well looked after. We kept him for 2 years and he died suddenly- which was sad because he had a beautiful nature.

Ok so my little silky (or whatever she is) has gone all clucky and hasn't laid in two weeks now. I've been lifting her out of the laying box at least once a day to get at the eggs the others lay. She bitches and moans for a bit but then usually has a bit of a feed and drink and a stretch of the legs before disappearing back into the box within 30-60 minutes.

Any tips to get her laying again or do I need to just ride it out or what? Never had this issue with any of my Hylines. It's always the beautiful girls that are the most high maintenance!

No- their combs were covered in stickfast fleas and now they're not. I had not given them Ivomec for months but somehow the fleas had dropped off. It was weird.
And only the chooks out the back had the fleas. not one flea in 20 chickens in the front pen over 10 years. They only recently (past few years) had got the lice. Too many bloody pigeons.
So that's how you have been getting them back without introducing new birds... And maybe the mites as well I guess? I read that they can also live up to 10 months in the pen off the birds. lol I'm going to dust Pinky and Puffy twice more before they get into their new home I'm that paranoid lol.

Ok so my little silky (or whatever she is) has gone all clucky and hasn't laid in two weeks now. I've been lifting her out of the laying box at least once a day to get at the eggs the others lay. She bitches and moans for a bit but then usually has a bit of a feed and drink and a stretch of the legs before disappearing back into the box within 30-60 minutes.

Any tips to get her laying again or do I need to just ride it out or what? Never had this issue with any of my Hylines. It's always the beautiful girls that are the most high maintenance!
Hylines just wont go broody, would have been completely 100% bred out of them. Move it to a separate little cage or something, move it around anywhere to try and put it off. Or I can give you some eggs for it to sit on to keep it happy ;) lol I actually want some more looking after eggs atm that's why I got those 2 off Teri.

So that's how you have been getting them back without introducing new birds... And maybe the mites as well I guess? I read that they can also live up to 10 months in the pen off the birds. lol I'm going to dust Pinky and Puffy twice more before they get into their new home I'm that paranoid lol.
I think the hens got the fleas first from where the goat was - it's a long story but I was hiding the goat from the ranger and threw a few red hens in his pen, to make it look like a hen run :) They came home with fleas. he has Ivomec now and then but I've never seen the fleas on him.

Good idea to dust a few more times- those silkies should not have any fleas, though- like I said, I've never seen any in the front pens.

Silkies are fairly light layers- they only lay about 100 eggs per year and they regularly go broody. That means they will only lay for about a week or two, then they'll have a few weeks off.
You can keep her away from the nest as Kram says- but she'll probably find somewhere else to be broody. Give it a try anyway.

I think the hens got the fleas first from where the goat was - it's a long story but I was hiding the goat from the ranger and threw a few red hens in his pen, to make it look like a hen run :) They came home with fleas. he has Ivomec now and then but I've never seen the fleas on him.

Good idea to dust a few more times- those silkies should not have any fleas, though- like I said, I've never seen any in the front pens.
Ha I've seen a few years back one of my cats that used to go through the pen a bit get a few of the them stuck around her eyes. Also one stuck on my arm. I don't care about them easy to see and provide nuisance value at worst I just don't want these red mite thingys!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hylines just wont go broody, would have been completely 100% bred out of them. Move it to a separate little cage or something, move it around anywhere to try and put it off. Or I can give you some eggs for it to sit on to keep it happy ;) lol I actually want some more looking after eggs atm that's why I got those 2 off Teri.
What is the red hen that you have mothering your Sussex, Kram? I meant to ask if it was a hyline as I thought it was very unusual.

Ha I've seen a few years back one of my cats that used to go through the pen a bit get a few of the them stuck around her eyes. Also one stuck on my arm. I don't care about them easy to see and provide nuisance value at worst I just don't want these red mite thingys!
Did you manage to get ivomec from your vet?

How long would I have to lock her in a little cage for?

I have one of these coops in my little run. If I locked her in the bottom half while leaving the top open for the others would that do the trick, or do I need to completely separate her from the flock in a little cage?

4214789.jpg

Silkies are fairly light layers- they only lay about 100 eggs per year and they regularly go broody. That means they will only lay for about a week or two, then they'll have a few weeks off.
You can keep her away from the nest as Kram says- but she'll probably find somewhere else to be broody. Give it a try anyway.

Yeah the first time I tried to lock her out of the whole cage she just went and sat under the ledge of that laying box on the left hand side there for two days.

What is the red hen that you have mothering your Sussex, Kram? I meant to ask if it was a hyline as I thought it was very unusual.
Yeah but it's not a hyline, just a bantam from the old blokes flock crossed with my old bantam rooster I had a couple of years ago, seriously probably a mix of about 10 breeds... Pretty good chooks though.

I have one of these coops in my little run. If I locked her in the bottom half while leaving the top open for the others would that do the trick, or do I need to completely separate her from the flock in a little cage?

4214789.jpg

Yeah the first time I tried to lock her out of the whole cage she just went and sat under the ledge of that laying box on the left hand side there for two days.
I don't know how long she'd need locking out for, estibador, I'm sorry. I normally don't worry too much about them being clucky- apart from chucking them out of the nest when I go to pick up eggs a couple of times per day.
Judging from what I've read, interrupting their nesting cycle won't make them lay more eggs.

diatomaceous earth is good if you add it to where your chickens dustbathe. Just make sure you buy the one that's safe for animals and not the stuff you put in your pool. It's also good to keep snails, slugs, etc. out of your garden and you can put it in your chooks' food and their nesting boxes- it acts like the poultry dust you use.

I also read somewhere that you can add garlic to your chicken's water and that makes them unattractive to parasites.

I've never taken a beak off - actually that's a lie- I did have to trim one or two chooks whose beaks got overgrown and it didn't look like they were able to eat properly so I nipped a little bit off. I don't think it's necessary but then I've not had any nasty chooks that needed it. Perhaps if they're always attacking others, it's a good idea to do it. What do you think, Kram81? Juggalo- is she eating OK and drinking OK? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about it being a good or bad debeaking.

We found a red rooster running around the school oval a few years ago- he was a beauty. His beak had been neatly clipped and he had no spurs and he was obviously well looked after. We kept him for 2 years and he died suddenly- which was sad because he had a beautiful nature.

Some difficultly eating seed but nothing disastrous. I just thought they took too much off.

4214789.jpg
Who knows, try that first, depends on how determined it is quite often they are very easy to put off, sometimes not... (I've actually moved them when I've wanted them to stay clucky to a more suitable spot and then they've gone off..) just move it around anywhere else to annoy or piss it off and obviously keep taking its eggs off it straight away.

On that little pen I have ordered that just for the 2 Teri gave us to sleep in a night on their own but then read afterwards it's a complete piece of rubbish that will fall apart in 6 months, what's it actually like?

Some difficultly eating seed but nothing disastrous. I just thought they took too much off.
Can you take a little off the bottom to even it up a bit? You could always take it to where you had the original chop done and tell them it's still having a bit of a problem with eating and they should do it for nothing.

just say you thought it would grow back a bit and you've been waiting :)

Who knows, try that first, depends on how determined it is quite often they are very easy to put off, sometimes not... (I've actually moved them when I've wanted them to stay clucky to a more suitable spot and then they've gone off..) just move it around anywhere else to annoy or piss it off and obviously keep taking its eggs off it straight away.

On that little pen I have ordered that just for the 2 Teri gave us to sleep in a night on their own but then read afterwards it's a complete piece of rubbish that will fall apart in 6 months, what's it actually like?
I've got one of those around the back that my roosters used to sleep in, Kram. it's lasted 3 years. there are a couple of things that are a bit rickety- the ladder was useless, from memory, but mostly it's fine. It's parked under a tree so preserved from the elements a bit.

Unnecessary and cruel imo, might even be banned now in some countries. I've only had it done in ex battery ones we had as a kid, poor things would almost bleed I think when it tried to scratch around in the dirt too much. The other the hyline I nicked from the high school, she didn't seem as badly affected eating by having it clipped but part of the reason it would have been so badly infested by lice would have been not having a normal beak. It stops them from grooming themselves properly and controlling keeping the lice in check naturally apparently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pets chickens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back