Asia China's growing influence

Remove this Banner Ad

They'll bite off the islands close to the coast to test the water first. Xi has nailed his legacy to "reunification" so it's definitely a risk they roll the dice.
Yes, but when?

There has been speculation of an early attack, even perhaps next year. However they probably lacking in amphibious capabilities still, although according to this they have started building the type 076, a big amphibious warship. They probably need about half a dozen. PRC can probably churn one out a year wihout to much effort.

I think they may keep going with the grey zone tactics for a few years, and to paraphrase that old Chinese geezer, "The greatest victory is that which requires no battle.”

This article talks about the PRC efforts in that direction a bit. Recent comments from PLAN admirals have been quite specific with their threats of invasion.

These European writers in the Diplomat paint a rather grim picture of Russian/Chinese intentions towards Europe. They essentially paint a picture of the West being at war with Russia and China, not a full on kinetic war, nonetheless a war.

These European writers in the Diplomat paint a rather grim picture of Russian/Chinese intentions towards Europe. They essentially paint a picture of the West being at war with Russia and China, not a full on kinetic war, nonetheless a war.

Very pro cold war going hot that article

The trade war with China has been in full effect since 2018 and no side of US politics appears willing to change that. (Australia has had almost all the tariffs removed as the current govt has toned down rhetoric, we would still follow a US move I'd guess)

This combined with a refusal to change the cold war mindset with regards to Russia has ironically created the closest relationship since the 60's sino-soviet split

Very pro cold war going hot that article

The trade war with China has been in full effect since 2018 and no side of US politics appears willing to change that. (Australia has had almost all the tariffs removed as the current govt has toned down rhetoric, we would still follow a US move I'd guess)

This combined with a refusal to change the cold war mindset with regards to Russia has ironically created the closest relationship since the 60's sino-soviet split
Birds of a feather. Democracy hating autocratic despots.
I don't think anything the West could do, bar total capitulation to Putin's demands in Europe could have prevented it. Same for the PRC with it's ambitions in the SCS, Taiwan, Philippines etc.

Birds of a feather. Democracy hating autocratic despots.
Simplistic, they're fine if they're our autocrats. Fascist Spain and Greece in NATO, Close with the Saudi's and a few of the autocratic middle eastern states, Pinochet over Allende, there's a bunch more as you know.

US is a highly flawed democracy, as are most, and is ruled by capital not the people
I don't think anything the West could do, bar total capitulation to Putin's demands in Europe could have prevented it. Same for the PRC with it's ambitions in the SCS, Taiwan, Philippines etc.
Well they could understand that the global hegemon will collapse at some point and multipolarity isn't the end of the world.

NATO didn't have to spend thirty years expanding after their rival collapsed
https://www.thecairoreview.com/essays/hegemonic-reasoning-fueled-the-russia-ukraine-war/

Likewise China is the main economic and military power in the pacific and making a huff about a civil war holdout and a British colonial possession isn't the smartest move

Simplistic, they're fine if they're our autocrats. Fascist Spain and Greece in NATO, Close with the Saudi's and a few of the autocratic middle eastern states, Pinochet over Allende, there's a bunch more as you know.

US is a highly flawed democracy, as are most, and is ruled by capital not the people

Well they could understand that the global hegemon will collapse at some point and multipolarity isn't the end of the world.

NATO didn't have to spend thirty years expanding after their rival collapsed
https://www.thecairoreview.com/essays/hegemonic-reasoning-fueled-the-russia-ukraine-war/

Likewise China is the main economic and military power in the pacific and making a huff about a civil war holdout and a British colonial possession isn't the smartest move
Xi has kicking a lot of own goals diplomatically and economically. Trust is the currency of diplomacy and the PRC has used up a lot of trust by reneging on the HK agreement, shafting the Philippines when Duarte bent over backwards for them, attacking Indian troops, engaging in economic warfare against us etc. The lesson to all is you can't trust the PRC. I think you undervalue the importance of diplomacy and soft power.

Another consideration is the PRC may have peaked.

According to this article it may make them more dangerous. Russia's recent action in the Ukraine could be considered an example of an empire in decline and thus willing to take greater risks to shore up it's position.

Xi has kicking a lot of own goals diplomatically and economically. Trust is the currency of diplomacy and the PRC has used up a lot of trust by reneging on the HK agreement, shafting the Philippines when Duarte bent over backwards for them, attacking Indian troops, engaging in economic warfare against us etc. The lesson to all is you can't trust the PRC. I think you undervalue the importance of diplomacy and soft power.
Country looks after its own interests, more news at 10

They honoured the 99 year lease and then took back their stolen island, should they not have an extradition treaty with themselves? Philippines remains a US colony. Disputed mountain had some fisticuffs, who exactly started it is somewhat iffy but it didn't go anywhere. Australia engaged in actual diplomacy rather than the megaphone type and now basically all of the tariffs have been removed, surprise

The lesson is for us to engage in diplomacy not follow the neocon hawks in Washington

Another consideration is the PRC may have peaked.
Peaked as the worlds manufacturing hub and the(maybe) largest economy isn't a bad spot I guess. But yeh how many years has 'China imminent failure' been running on headlines, not happened yet

According to this article it may make them more dangerous. Russia's recent action in the Ukraine could be considered an example of an empire in decline and thus willing to take greater risks to shore up it's position.
Lol, Russia is the rump state of the USSR, the empire died 30 years ago, decline was in the 70's. If you are worried about the wounded animal thing then you have to look at the US, losing hegemony for a country that has always been on a constant war footing could prove dangerous

Country looks after its own interests, more news at 10

They honoured the 99 year lease and then took back their stolen island, should they not have an extradition treaty with themselves? Philippines remains a US colony. Disputed mountain had some fisticuffs, who exactly started it is somewhat iffy but it didn't go anywhere. Australia engaged in actual diplomacy rather than the megaphone type and now basically all of the tariffs have been removed, surprise

The lesson is for us to engage in diplomacy not follow the neocon hawks in Washington

Peaked as the worlds manufacturing hub and the(maybe) largest economy isn't a bad spot I guess. But yeh how many years has 'China imminent failure' been running on headlines, not happened yet

Lol, Russia is the rump state of the USSR, the empire died 30 years ago, decline was in the 70's. If you are worried about the wounded animal thing then you have to look at the US, losing hegemony for a country that has always been on a constant war footing could prove dangerous
Reads like a Global Times article.

Reads like a Global Times article.
When you realise all these orgs are propaganda you might open your mind a little. The Diplomat and ASPI, yeh just straight ahead news there. But no I don't read the global times, too far for me lol

But accusing others of being bots or paid propagandists is silly on an aussie rules forums, take on the argument man

Remove this Banner Ad

Back