Chokers

Remove this Banner Ad

dr nick

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2002
Dee Why, NSW
AFL Club
Sydney
with the semi finals just around the corner, over the last decade, who would you class as the biggest chokers of the competition. by that i mean a team who has done really well for the home and away season, only to be let down when it really matters. last years example would be parra, runaway favourites last year, only to choke at the death.

Parramatta would be on the podium four times. Their last four years have shown that they have no heart.

They lost the grand final last year when they did the lap of honour around Parra Stadium when they were awarded the minor premiership, I think they must have thought that that was important or something....

St. George would also have to be up there with 4 GFs without a win, but I think they were genrally beaten by better sides and didn't choke. They did really well to get to some of those GFs.

Originally posted by Briedis
Parramatta would be on the podium four times. Their last four years have shown that they have no heart.

They lost the grand final last year when they did the lap of honour around Parra Stadium when they were awarded the minor premiership, I think they must have thought that that was important or something....

St. George would also have to be up there with 4 GFs without a win, but I think they were genrally beaten by better sides and didn't choke. They did really well to get to some of those GFs.

i know in 96 the dragons came from nowhere to play in the GF (i think they finished 8th in the minor premiership). they were 3 classes below what manly were that year.

Originally posted by nicko18

i know in 96 the dragons came from nowhere to play in the GF (i think they finished 8th in the minor premiership). they were 3 classes below what manly were that year.

That was a great Manly side in 1996. Our defense was like concrete, we were so solid. The last two games for Manly have started to show signs that those days of greatdefense may not be too far away as these young kids step up to the level required for NRL football.

Originally posted by Briedis

That was a great Manly side in 1996. Our defense was like concrete, we were so solid. The last two games for Manly have started to show signs that those days of greatdefense may not be too far away as these young kids step up to the level required for NRL football.

Still the turning point in that game was just before half time when Matthew Ridge was not penalised for continuing on after being tackled. After that Saints were not it.

'85 was just bad luck and incidentally the rules were changed after that year to prevent teams doing what Canterbury did with the bomb and the ingoal.
'92 and '93 we were beaten by the better team.
'96 could have gone either way until the Ridge incident.
'99 we were by far the better team but just choked. I guess if Mundine had of passed to an open man rather than going it himself we would have sealed the match. You can hardly blame Ainscough for the tackle that gave Melbourne the penalty try. That guy was falling anyway!

Anyway I will enjoy watching the Northern Eagles become fodder for one of the top 2 teams in the finals this year. Better you than us.

I agree. The 7th and 8th placed sides will not do anything this year. I reckon the NRL should seriously consider swapping to the same finals system as the AFL, much fairer for everyone and you get better games.

Making the finals would be a great thing for the development of our young kids though, just to give them a taste of it so that they develop the hunger for the next few years....

Good to see you are out of hiding Doc! ;)

well over the past 10 years, i assigned 10 points to 1st, 6 to second, then 4,3,2,1 for the remaining top 6 finishers.

compared to their minor premiership ranking, manly actually have by far and away the worst form in the finals. they were down 16 points when finals were compared to the minor premiership.

from memory i think manly had 3 minor premierships and only 1 grand final win, as well as several other top 3 finishes, only to get bungled out of the finals race early.

i thought for sure it would be the dragons. they have the worst reputation, 4 grand final losses, but looking at their finishes in the minor premiership, they always did well to get as far as they did. they regularly finished 5th or 6th on the ladder.

Stuff the stats. We all know the eels are the biggest chockers from the past decade.

Funny that Brian Smith coached two side that were both chokers.

Nothing beats the mighty eels from the eighties. Great side with a strong bond and knew each others game well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chokers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back