Remove this Banner Ad

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
We all get worked up about the Lions in many different ways. To stay on track & keep it simple, your Belated Happy Birthday Roast Telegram, ought say a couple of thing you like/love/appreciate about our Club's Coach Fagan & one Roast piss-take. With "six degrees of separation" & if we get enough love happening & fun piss-takes, I'm confident our love will get to him.

Belated Happy 58th Birthday Chris, love the new way you do formatted debut announcements/jumper presentations & the appreciate the video's are posted for the fans. Hope you get to hold up the Cup with Zorks before you're 60. Btw, I know the team have delivered highs & lows in their improvement, but you have to stop pulling out your hair in private. I reckon it's time you asked Josh Walker to point you in the right direction.
Many Happy returns.

Happy Birthday Coach, I love the wise teacher mentality and how it is fostering self responsibility, growth, and team-first behaviour among our guys. I also love the decision to sit on the bench and engage with the players directly through the game. Especially handy when Archie has a brainfart right on front of the interchange.

Maybe warm those hammies up a bit more before the next big freeze appearance though. ;)

Appreciation related, an interesting read on research done to identify what makes a top line coach.

Appreciation related, an interesting read on research done to identify what makes a top line coach.

How bloody lucky are we that he didn't want to pursue the Blues or Bombers jobs.

It's very interesting how trends in coaching shifts these days and how copycats sports teams are. You only need to look to the NFL to see that the rage is young offensive minded coaches with most clubs searching for someone like la rams coach Sean McVay who's only in his 30s. Yet last year's superbowl winner was still bill belichick who is 9 years older than Fagan.

Ultimately you need to be able complex relationships in many different forms and different people develop that at different ages

I don't know about other posters on here who are my vintage but I still find it hard to get my head around the fact that Chris Fagan is a couple of years younger than me.

I hope my grand kids see me as cuddly and lovable as grand dad Fages.

Toast: What more needs to be said. Best thing to happen to our club since Leigh Matthews.

Roast: He doesn't keep us updated enough about his record collection. What new additions have you made Fages?!

Records, you say?
  • First time knocking off Sydney this decade
  • First win at Adelaide Oval
  • Most firmly glued team lid
  • Longest club winning streak since 2010
  • Most wins in a season since 2009

The list goes on! With new additions coming in most weeks, his collection is getting out of hand.

As others have said; Fagan’s appointment is just as big Leigh’s.

I’d hate to think what would’ve become of the Lions if we’d not appointed Fagan and had another unsuccessful coach in the Leppa mould. I reckon we’d be at Suns-like depths.

Fagan and Noble really were saviours and that’s not embellishing whatsoever.

As others have said; Fagan’s appointment is just as big Leigh’s.

I’d hate to think what would’ve become of the Lions if we’d not appointed Fagan and had another unsuccessful coach in the Leppa mould. I reckon we’d be at Suns-like depths.

Fagan and Noble really were saviours and that’s not embellishing whatsoever.

I'd almost argue that Fagan's appointment was more important for exactly the reason in your second line. We made the finals in '97 before the wooden spoon in '98, and it felt like Leigh was the element to put us over the top.

Fagan has brought us back from multiple years in the literal depths of the ladder to have us sitting in the top 4. If we win a premiership under him (not saying this year by any means) it would be a much bigger turnaround, even if we don't go back to back to back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know about other posters on here who are my vintage but I still find it hard to get my head around the fact that Chris Fagan is a couple of years younger than me.

I hope my grand kids see me as cuddly and lovable as grand dad Fages.
Mine do. If they don't I'll certainly being having a stern word with them.

All these young, caretaker coaches round at the moment put their team's change of fortune to "just let them enjoy playing. Play to their strengths, take the game on - no repercussions." Chris Fagan has done that since he got here. That is why we are attracting the best class of recruit. That is why we are where we are now.

I'd almost argue that Fagan's appointment was more important for exactly the reason in your second line. We made the finals in '97 before the wooden spoon in '98, and it felt like Leigh was the element to put us over the top.

Fagan has brought us back from multiple years in the literal depths of the ladder to have us sitting in the top 4. If we win a premiership under him (not saying this year by any means) it would be a much bigger turnaround, even if we don't go back to back to back.

Great article.

Love the bits about delegating (letting other people do their jobs and not interfering), low neuroticism (not seeing everyone else as a threat who is trying to white-ant you), and the benefits management and people skills have (the focus on alpha-male personas has potentially seen otherwise good candidates overlooked because they didn't fit the pre-conceived ideas of what a coach 'should' be, and 'plodders' who had to work their tails off to stay in the team tend to make better coaches).

Has anyone, anywhere, ever said a bad word about him? We are spectacularly lucky to have him. All of a sudden, we are a desirable destination for players. Who wouldn't want to learn their craft as a player under such a teacher? Not to mention your career after your playing days, when you've had the benefit of exposure to the Fagan method. It will look great on their CVs.

As for the recruiters and scouts, we would have nothing without them.

Above all else, how spectacular are they to watch? I'm the sort of bloke who loves watching footy when it's played well, by any team. It's a bonus that mine has so much to admire about it. Even their mistakes are generally made when they're having a go, trying something outrageously creative. That this sometimes doesn't come off proves they're humans acting as such, and not just robots.

The things they have in common with our previously successful teams are a complete understanding of, and absolute trust in, each other. They know exactly where their mate's going to be when they get the ball, without even a glance. I'm particularly struck by how effectively they talk to each other around the ball, when it's 'hot' - I reckon Hodgey has a bit to do with this. Oh, and what a piece of genius it was to convince him to go to Brisbane after he'd retired.

The best ball game in the world deserves to be played thus.

Last edited:
Has anyone, anywhere, ever said a bad word about him? We are spectacularly lucky to have him. All of a sudden, we are a desirable destination for players. Who wouldn't want to learn their craft as a player under such a teacher? Not to mention your career after your playing days, when you've had the benefit of exposure to the Fagan method. It will look great on their CVs.

Above all else, how spectacular are they to watch? I'm the sort of bloke who loves watching footy when it's played well, by any team. It's a bonus that mine has so much to admire about it. Even their mistakes are generally made when they're having a go, trying something outrageously creative. That this sometimes doesn't come off proves they're humans acting as such, and not just robots.

The things they have in common with our previously successful teams are a complete understanding of, and absolute trust in, each other. They know exactly where their mate's going to be when they get the ball, without even a glance. I'm particularly struck by how effectively they talk to each other around the ball, when it's 'hot' - I reckon Hodgey has a bit to do with this. Oh, and what a piece of genius it was to convince him to go to Brisbane after he'd retired.

And to make it even more exciting this is a sustainable model, I'm extremely confident this will not be a 1 season wonder like the Demons last season. There will no doubt be bumps along the way but strap yourselves in Lions fans because the next 5-10 years is going to be one hell of an enjoyable and successful ride.

I heard the bloke cant cook. Never lifted a spatula in his life. Depends totally on his wife for this. How are the young players going to learn good nutrition when their coach has to eat out all the time? Fire him at the end of his contract. Get my boy George Colambaris onto the coaching gig. He is very adept at list management from what Ive heard.

And to make it even more exciting this is a sustainable model, I'm extremely confident this will not be a 1 season wonder like the Demons last season. There will no doubt be bumps along the way but strap yourselves in Lions fans because the next 5-10 years is going to be one hell of an enjoyable and successful ride.
I'm positive when the #uncaged tag was launched, they stated they are building long term success for the Club & used many images of the three peat era. Looks like they're on the right trajectory with all the young talent at the Club & that the NEAFL Team use the same game plan 😎

I see a lot of similarities with our 3 peat teams. Different game style but the trust & belief and the red time attitude. Never give up. Luv it

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Chris Fagan Appreciation: Belated Happy Birthday Love Telegrams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back