Chris Knights currently playing the best of all under 50 game players in the comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Odd comment, given that he averages 18.7 touches only...

I believe he means this season - as he's actually getting decent time on ground - last year he was getting more possesions per minute than anyone in the AFL, but was only playing half games. He's only been under 20 touches on two occasions this season.

Anyway, I agree that Knights is being overrated by the OP. Fantastic talent, and he'll be an excellent player for years to come, but there are several other youngsters running around who equal or even overshadow him. I regard van Berlo to be a superior player at this point, given that he hurts the opposition to a greater degree and is a more versatile player than Knights, but Knighta is catching up fast.
Still, he's a very valuable player to us, and he's getting better every week. Expect a huge season from him next year.

Ashley Hansen 47 games
Mark Nicoski 46 games
Beau Waters 45 games
Matt Rosa 31 games
Shannon Hurn 19 games
Matthew Priddis 15 games
Mark LeCras 14 games

All better than Chris Knights.

Really, all of them, and all Eagles players! I am shocked an Eagles supporter would think so:rolleyes:

Chris Knights currently playing the best of all under 50 game players in the comp with first name Chris and last name Knights. :)

Seriously, while Knights has been very good for us, you'll have to forgive the OP for having his rose-coloured glasses on. There's about a half dozen or so (or maybe more) young players in the comp that I'd rate equal or better than Knights right now.

Hes probably being a touch over rated but he also shouldnt be under rated.

Hes a definate talent. It is true that at the moment Knights doesnt have that hurt factor with his disposals. Crows supporters may quote efficiency percentages but in reality he kicks a lot of floates and a lot of helicopter kicks.

In terms of where he sits with other youngsters in the game. Definately top 10. Probably top 5. Priddis is better but older. Foley is better. Mcintosh is probably more important. Slightly better than Rosa although Rosa uses the ball more.

Hes basically a Simon Goodwin clone. If he can continue to improve his kicking then he will be a definate AA player in the future.

OK lets change the name of the thread... See if you can name 10 players under 50 games that are better than Knights.

Franklin - By the length of the grubby Murray river
Priddis
Foley
Pendlebury
McIntosh
McGlynn
Drummond
Selwood
Shaw
Pearce

Give me classy disposal and ability to do things that others cant over just racking up in and under touches.

Knights rarely wins contested footy (but I suppose neither do Adelaide) he is more a linkman but does it well.

Knights rarely wins contested footy (but I suppose neither do Adelaide) he is more a linkman but does it well.

He has lead our contested possesions in games. Infact he had the most of any side on Saturday night.

1. Pearce won Rising Star
2. Pearce gets tagged
3. Knights doesnt
4. Possessions arent the be all and end all. We all know in the modern game the number of kicks/marks/handballs mean nothing. Racking up numbers has never been so easy

Agree, all true, but no doubt Knights playing better than Pearce in 07. As for Macca19 agree also. Knights kicking is much improved but hardly elite yet. When i wrote the thread I'd excluded Franklin, I thought as he has played 3 years thus must be more than 50 games. Of course if not he is the pick of this group. Can I change the thread to 46 games or less??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He gets tons of uncontested footy, but he does win his share of the contested ball too. Picked up 11 contested possessions on the weekend, and it hasn't been unusual for him to be on top of our contested ball winners in matches this year.
I think he tends to look like a linkman because he does get a heck of a lot handball recieves, but gets stuck into the packs as much as any of our other midfielders bar perhaps Shirley.

That's surprising. Has he changed roles recently?

He plays a variety of different roles really. But he's a strong body and winning con. possesions isn't really a problem for him.

Still spends a lot of time on the bench. Don't be surprised when he breaks the 50 possesion mark in a few years.

Where you getting your stats from? Pro-stats says he only got 1 CP against Hawthorn.

The tiser has him at 11. Not the most reliable source, but by the same token I'd find it VERY surprising if Knights only had 1 contested touch for the game, given that I remember more than that - including both his shots at goal.

The tiser has him at 11. Not the most reliable source, but by the same token I'd find it VERY surprising if Knights only had 1 contested touch for the game, given that I remember more than that - including both his shots at goal.

The AFL stats are Champion Data yes?

They had him at 11.

Buddy shouldnt be compared to these lesser types. Its an insult to the great man..

By the way, Franklin is an elite talent, best of this group, love him to play for us etc, etc

but..

work rate Sat night when team losing was pretty ordinary. delivery poor but 5 touches the whole game and he spent some time up the ground. If he is going to be a champion, and he should be he'll have to work a lot harder than Sat night

ok can we all just come to the conclusion that Chris Knights IS NOT the best player with under 50 games going around at the moment?

take Franklin out and i'd stand by what I say with Mcintosh, Foley and Heath Shaw the 3 closest. Watch Knights for a few weeks and you'll see

By the way, Franklin is an elite talent, best of this group, love him to play for us etc, etc

but..

work rate Sat night when team losing was pretty ordinary. delivery poor but 5 touches the whole game and he spent some time up the ground. If he is going to be a champion, and he should be he'll have to work a lot harder than Sat night

I dont think you can blame him for Saturday night. He barely got a sniff at all. Wet Weather doesnt really suit him either and i agree he needs to make it suit him. But a KPP in his third year, playing on some mighty defenders and kicked 40 goals is bloody impressive..

Ashley Hansen 47 games
Mark Nicoski 46 games
Beau Waters 45 games
Matt Rosa 31 games
Shannon Hurn 19 games
Matthew Priddis 15 games
Mark LeCras 14 games

All better than Chris Knights.

Why do people think WC supporters are arrogant? :rolleyes:

Haven't seen enough of Knights but Nick Malceski with only 35 games might be close to All Aussie this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Knights currently playing the best of all under 50 game players in the comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back