Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

You never know how the trade request started. The first you generally hear of it is player X is requesting a trade. That is what has happened. GC could have approached him or his manager could have been looking into a trade for him. Either way he has a contract.

Just speculation on your behalf. Who knows what the story is.

Personally I think Petracca at 29 early next year coming of a major injury is worth about pick 6 and thats about it because I think he is probably only got another 60-100 games in him that have a good chance of being well below his best. But I can see the Melbourne point of view with him being an incontract multi-AA star and their best player so give us 3 1sts.
What Melbourne will demand is the reason why I would stay well away. Imo McKay being a KPF = Petracca coming off his injury.
Unless Melbourne are willing to come to the table with lower expectations no club will trade for him. But maybe that's what they want.

There are plenty of players I would prefer over Petracca. Because they are talented, younger and less of an injury concern.
LDU, McKay, McClugage, J Daicos, Day, Butters to just name a few.
I think that's a good summation of the situation. He's worth more to Melbourne than anyone will offer AND he's under contract. I think Melbourne have more to lose if he went for just pick 6, and would take the opportunity to mend the situation.

Haven’t seen any player not get traded and sook it up for 12 months now and doubt Trac will be the first when he cares about his brand so much.

Elliott Himmelberg
Jeremy Sharp
Joe Daniher
Cam McCarthy (RIP)

But it very much seems like he really really doesnt want to be there.
He probably shouldn't have signed a seven year contract then, stupid campaigner that he is.
Dee for life.

Thats like me saying that Collingwood should trade N Daicos because he costs a lot of cap.
There is a difference between someone busting a gut and winning individual awards left and right to someone disgruntled, distracting the group and wanting out taking up 1.2m+.

Think about if in 12 months time Christian still despises the place, performance has dropped and on 1.5m. It would be bordering on a salary dump case.

Your club has to way this up no matter what you think. Back themselves in and live by the sword or cut their loses and get the max that they prob can.

There is a difference between someone busting a gut and winning individual awards left and right to someone disgruntled, distracting the group and wanting out taking up 1.2m+.

Think about if in 12 months time Christian still despises the place, performance has dropped and on 1.5m. It would be bordering on a salary dump case.

Your club has to way this up no matter what you think. Back themselves in and live by the sword or cut their loses and get the max that they prob can.

Thats 12 months away, same could be said about Daicos. If something pisses him off it could be the same. Or any other player on 1m+ for the matter.

Grundy went for third and future second and he is not broken goods.

Trac is broken in all areas and no one is sure whether he will normalise and how long it will take.

He has created a toxic environment at Melbourne due to almost losing his life due to lack of duty of care and I personally dont think Trac will play for Melbourne ever again.

He is broken in more ways than one and anyone that takes him also takes alot of baggage

First let me say that I don’t like players signing long contracts and then trying to get out of them. Yes, I’m aware some unforeseen circumstances arise but it reeks of the player wanting the long term security knowing they can leave whenever. Have their cake and eat it too kind of thing. I’m not necessarily talking Petracca here. Players have too much power. And that leads me to the next bit..

If you go to a house action, and it hits the reserve, do people stop bidding?

This isn’t how trading works. It’s never really a bidding war as essentially a player nominates a club and the relevant parties (original club, nominated club, and player agent) hash out a deal. This argument comes up every year and the player 99% of the time gets to the club they nominate. Clubs can’t ship a player off to a team without the consent of the player. Whether they should be able to like in other sports is a whole other debate. I have no doubt Petracca will nominate a club after finals and the only reason he hasn’t already is he’s obviously got a club in the finals in mind as his choice, whoever that may be. Melbourne will either:
a) agree to a trade with that club
b) hold Petracca for another year and try to fix the issues

If he’s actually considering the grievance council (which could be total journalistic BS) and if he has legitimate grounds to do so, then Melbourne will be forced into trading. I just don’t understand how it’s all become so messy.

Thats 12 months away, same could be said about Daicos. If something pisses him off it could be the same. Or any other player on 1m+ for the matter.
Maybe but as of now Collingwood has their highest paid player low odds for the Brownlow while yours is trying his hardest to hit the road.

There is a small chance that having someone on 1.5m after giving up on the club for a year has potential to destroy your club. Let hope your head office make the right decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don’t understand how it’s all become so messy.

Probably somewhere between
Dees backroom staff sending Trac back out; and
Trac's better half being told at 3am he might be toast.

Maybe but as of now Collingwood has their highest paid player low odds for the Brownlow while yours is trying his hardest to hit the road.

There is a small chance that having someone on 1.5m after giving up on the club for a year has potential to destroy your club. Let hope your head office make the right decision.
Either way I simply don't see a way he gets to Collingwood. I mean a contracted Trac is worth a large haul which Collingwood simply do not have. Carlton won't have players willing to go nor will they want to give up any of their top 6 players. There could be a mega trade that will possibly unlock it, but the Dees hold the upper hand with a 5 year contract. To fight negligence will be a long and ugly path Trac won't want to take. If he truly just wants out, then Richmond and maybe Essendon hold some interesting pieces that could potentially satisfy. Gold Coast definitely do and I can see Hardwick getting in his ear at some point. I doubt he'll move away from Vic though but their high picks and talented list might come into play. I'm sure Dees are looking for a couple of top 10 picks(possibly one top 5) plus a player. And I think that's fair for a consistently top 10 player in the comp, some would argue top 3 that rarely(besides this one injury) gets injured and is in his prime.

From a Dees supporters POV, I'm confident the club will try and get a deal. But it will have to be a bloody good deal. I mean the McKay for Trac talk was rubbish. If it came with a top 5 pick then I'm sure the Dees would take it. But clubs haven't had the time to plan for this so it will rule out a lot of clubs unfortunately for Petracca. Money wise it's a hell of a lot to take on. I think 1.7mil at the pointy end. And clubs haven't planned for the picks to trade.

And I think that's fair for a consistently top 10 player in the comp, some would argue top 3 that rarely(besides this one injury) gets injured and is in his prime.
He is well past his prime. He is not 25-26. Next year he will be 29 in January.
Coming off a serious injury after almost dying. Who knows what he has left in the tank.

From a Dees supporters POV, I'm confident the club will try and get a deal. But it will have to be a bloody good deal. I mean the McKay for Trac talk was rubbish. If it came with a top 5 pick then I'm sure the Dees would take it. But clubs haven't had the time to plan for this so it will rule out a lot of clubs unfortunately for Petracca. Money wise it's a hell of a lot to take on. I think 1.7mil at the pointy end. And clubs haven't planned for the picks to trade.
Sorry, are you saying that you reckon it would take McKay + a top 5 pick + up to 1.7m a year for a 29 yo dude whose feeling litigious and cant get his heartrate above 100bpm atm?

Melb media are vicious.

Trac has trauma and melb nearly killed him is the headline. As well as caused wife to suffer from trauma/ptsd

None of this flags/crowds/brand nonsense should be a headline. Vicious melb camp. You literally nearly killed an afl footballer.

WCE are the perfect club for trac.

1. We have world class facilities
2. We have the most money so we can hire an elite medical team
3. Takes him away from melb circus/fishbowl and aids him with trauma recovery. If he gets traded to rival melb club then circus continues
4. Big crowds (big selling point)
5. Beaches for his tiktok
6. I think him wanting flags is nonsense melb camp hit piece

Trac will use the nuclear option and come to wce for unders

Last edited:
Melb media are vicious.

Trac has trauma and melb nearly killed him is the headline. As well as caused wife to suffer from trauma/ptsd

None of this flags/crowds/brand nonsense should be a headline. Vicious melb camp. You literally nearly killed an afl footballer.

WCE are the perfect club for trac.

1. We have world class facilities
2. We have the most money so we can hire an elite medical team
3. Takes him away from melb circus and aids him with trauma recovery
4. Big crowds (big selling point)
5. Beaches for his tiktok
6. I think him wanting flags is nonsense melb camp hit piece

Trac will use the nuclear option and come to wce for unders
Hungry Jacks won't be on brand for his cooking channel though

Cripps and Weitering took less than market value.

As a supporter of a Club with a history of players taking less to have a shot at a flag, I'd hope our blokes would do the same as yours.

Thats fair and i would hope so too but not all players are as selfless and ethical as cripps is.

Completely explains why he wants to move to a club with big crowds for his brand.

Common sense club outcome to seek. He wants out of Dees for reason, he doesn't want out for money or playing time.

He's not going to go "hurrr durr I want to move club, but let's go to North or St Kilda and never play a final again in front of 15k fans"

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back