Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think Collingwood have the salary cap for Trac, has he said what team he is looking for? For example like a bottom middle or top. If we get a chance to get him it would be Will Phillips gone, pick 26 and 2. If not then we should pass on him as if Tom Powell is included to trade for him then that would be a big mistake.
Pies have more cap room then most clubs now

Do you have a summary or details of the current salary cap situation of all clubs?
Yes I do.

Vic clubs who could take on his wages are Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon, Nth Melb and St Kilda.

There are numerous interstate sides that could but I’m tipping he isn’t heading “west”

Richmond with there retirees obviously could now as well.

Last edited:

The pies don't have the currency to get this trade done.. Cameron took 3 firsts to get to Geelong and i reckon Petracca would cost about the same.

Look at the trade again. It's picks 13,15 and 20 for Cameron and two picks in the 20's

I would say Cameron cost about pick 10 in total.

Look at the trade again. It's picks 13,15 and 20 for Cameron and two picks in the 20's

Because Gold Coast and GWS have been so flush with picks over the last decade, you can't even really compare apples with apples when looking at past deals. Other clubs just haven't been able to keep that constant stream of trading out players for more and more picks like they have (especially GWS).

Please, Cameron trade irrelevant. He was a steal. Not even a single pointy-end pick. Nos 13, 15, 20. with 2 second-rounders coming back. Cats should have been done for theft ... and GWS should have been done for negligence.

Melbourne would want at least one proper first-round pick, so you are right in the fact that Collingwood don't have the currency. Unless Melbourne want to bet that we will finish 14-18 next year and accept a future first.

Geelong did win that trade, but we did actually have some capital to offer. Pies aren't even on the ballpark...

I think Melbourne would rather 3 firsts than a future first. The pies might jump right up the ladder with Petracca.. Massive risk!!

Last edited:
Geelong did win that trade, but we did actually have some capital to offer. Pies aren't even on the ballpark...

I think Melbourne would rather 3 firsts than a future first. The pies might jump right up the ladder with Petracca.. Massive risk!!

Also some risk for whoever wants to recruit Petracca tbh. Wonderful player but big dollars and big trade cost and is pretty banged up. I think he ends up staying at Dees

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any team can get it done, it's just a matter of whether they really want to.

Not suggesting this happens but just one way the Pies could make it work...

CWD OUT - F1 (CWD), Dan McStay, Jordan Degoey
CWD IN - Christian Petracca, Pick 38 (MEL)

MEL OUT - Christian Petracca, Pick 38 (MEL)
MEL IN - Dan McStay, Matt Owies, F1 (CWD), Pick 11 (CARL)

CARL OUT - Pick 11 (CARL), Matt Owies
CARL IN - Jordan Degoey
No way Carlton does that.

Excuse me. You forget the little matter of the critical addition of the future fourth…
Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

I know they threaten it, but no one actually does it.
Disagree with this on the Dangerfield and the Cameron examples. I believe they would have matched if the Cats insisted in going through FA and hence why the Cats decided to give up picks. I agree they didn't pay a premium but they did pay. But Cats supporters would have a better handle on this.
To be fair I was just countering the poster that was saying that the Cats payed 3 1sts for Cameron and making it sound like a lot of trade currency when it in reality only added up to about pick 10.

Last edited:
Disagree with this on the Dangerfield and the Cameron examples. I believe they would have matched if the Cats insisted in going through FA and hence why the Cats decided to give up picks. I agree they didn't pay a premium but they did pay. But Cats supporters would have a better handle on this.
To be fair I was just countering the poster that was saying that the Cats payed 3 1sts for Cameron and making it sound like a lot of trade currency when it in reality only added up to about pick 10.
at the end of that day, geelong gave all the decent picks they had to gws which was 3 1st. only decent picks collingwood have is the F1 so pies simply dont have enough to satisfy melbourne for petrcca regardless of contract situation, injuries, etc.

at the end of that day, geelong gave all the decent picks they had to gws which was 3 1st. only decent picks collingwood have is the F1 so pies simply dont have enough to satisfy melbourne for petrcca regardless of contract situation, injuries, etc.
It’s true. But it does’t change the fact Petracca wants Collingwood. Unfortunately not everyone gets what they want in life.

I’m a bit bemused by the Cameron comparisons. Is pick 20 a first rounder?

I’d like to think they gave up 2 late first rounders and an early 2nd. Also had some sweeteners come back in the form of two second rounders.

If you total it all out it really only cost Geelong on an average around the pick 8-11 mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back