Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Let me try and explain.
McKay and a pick was yesterdays rumour.
Noble and a equally bad pick does not get close.
For example if he chooses north our pick 2 would probably not be enough. No one would trade pick 2 for noble and your future first.
Are North in the conversation? I didn’t think so.

Petracca wants Collingwood
Melbourne want Carlton

Let’s see how it pans out.

People are cooked if they think Petracca is worth 2x early first-round picks and then some—he's 29 at the start of next year. That was the same age Mitchell was when he went to the Pies and Hawks got peanuts. Recent players of similar standing, Neale and Dangerfield, were traded for far less than 2x early first-round picks and they were stars about to enter their primes and worth far more than Petracca is now. Petracca is past his prime and returning from a significant injury, and he's a mid-fielder.

yes trading him to melbourne. Why would geelong be able to insert themselves into this and get him for a first rounder?

if melbourne wanted him, it would be mckay, curnow or tdk. but as reported, melbourne only asked for curnow or mckay. tdk is not the type melbourne wants anyway, they want a full time key forward. tdk is like a grundy clone which melbourne tried and it failed.

Amazing how Collingwood fans are simultaneously telling us John Noble is worth far more than he is and Petracca is worth peanuts (apparently)

Really think this is going to end up another Joe Daniher type situation. Melb will hang on to him but he won't want to be there and will have a down year, then get traded to Collingwood at much lower value

Are North in the conversation? I didn’t think so.

Petracca wants Collingwood
Melbourne want Carlton

Let’s see how it pans out.
lol the Pies and Carlton have about as much chance as North does.

Daicoses aside, Collingwood have no young elite players to trade and no draft capital.

The Blues have a single first rounder outside the top 10, plus an F1. But since they've said that Curnow and McKay are off limits, there's slim pickings to work with there too.

Yeah of course you would live with that!

I can’t see Carlton trading Owies considering how hot and cold both Durdin & Motlop are.

He already has offers in front of him I've been told. From a few clubs.

He's our best small forward by some margin, but Williams was really good in the role as well (arguably better) for the few games he played there before hamstring injuries (and that's a concern).

If he left, we'd get a second rounder for him, and he's likely being offered 400k or so rival clubs.

If it helps get Petracca over the line, I'd let him walk and take the second rounder, and look to bundle that (along with whatever we could get for Pittonet likely another second, plus freeing up Pittos salary) with our own second rounder and see if we cant manufacture another 1st with those three picks.

Point is we could free up the Cap space for Petracca and come up with 3 x 1sts (not top 10 picks unless the Suns somehow get involved and throw one at us for some stupid Suns reason).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt any trade gets done, and they make up for the next 12 months but then goes to Collingwood or another big melbourne based team in 2026.

If he wants to stay in Victoria, then I hope he goes to St Kilda. They get a gun midfielder, and give up Max King and pick 7 and maybe another later pick.
I think both teams would benefit and be able to so a deal but ultimately its Petracca who wants to leave, and he's probably going to nominate which clubs he's happy to be traded to. If he's too selective, he's going to stay at the Dees

If you think we'd give up King and pick 7 ... let alone ANOTHER pick as well, for a guy pushing 30 and coming back from a horrendous injury, you're absolutely tripping.

I rate him very highly... but no way in hell we'd be that stupid.

Really think this is going to end up another Joe Daniher type situation. Melb will hang on to him but he won't want to be there and will have a down year, then get traded to Collingwood at much lower value
I reckon if Trac wants to get to pies it’ll be next year he’ll really want to be there. It’s probably going to be the last years for a few of the players. He’d want to be there for the last crack.

He already has offers in front of him I've been told. From a few clubs.

He's our best small forward by some margin, but Williams was really good in the role as well (arguably better) for the few games he played there before hamstring injuries (and that's a concern).

If he left, we'd get a second rounder for him, and he's likely being offered 400k or so rival clubs.

If it helps get Petracca over the line, I'd let him walk and take the second rounder, and look to bundle that (along with whatever we could get for Pittonet likely another second, plus freeing up Pittos salary) with our own second rounder and see if we cant manufacture another 1st with those three picks.

Point is we could free up the Cap space for Petracca and come up with 3 x 1sts (not top 10 picks unless the Suns somehow get involved and throw one at us for some stupid Suns reason).

what about houston? i thought blues is now into him as well, then theres TDK and cerra coming out of contract end of next year? have to find 3 mill in the cap for all those guys? how many players are carlton delisting to free that up

The Blues have a single first rounder outside the top 10, plus an F1. But since they've said that Curnow and McKay are off limits, there's slim pickings to work with there too.

Owies and Pittonet have trade value. We could bundle them (or whatever we trade them for) with our 2nd rounder to obtain another 1st (and free up cap space).

List of Victorian teams who could get a Trac deal done with their draft hand:

1) Richmond after the Bolton, Baker and Rioli deals are done. No, it doesn't really make sense for player or club.

2) North right now. P2 plus something. But whether Trac is enthused about joining a team that's spent half a decade at the bottom of the ladder seems doubtful.

3) Saints first two picks after Battle compo. Fits a clear need for St Kilda.

4) Essendon if they use this year's first rounder and next as the basis of the deal. Finally Merrett gets some elite company.
Big supporter base is good for Brand Petracca.

what about houston? i thought blues is now into him as well, then theres TDK and cerra coming out of contract end of next year? have to find 3 mill in the cap for all those guys? how many players are carlton delisting to free that up

If its between Houston and Petracca, I know who Im picking.

We're obviously aware of the impending TDK and Cerra deals coming up, and have cap space reserved for it.

We almost certainly frontloaded the long term deals we gave to Cripps and Weitering (who both went on record as taking unders anyway), Walsh, Curnow and McKay.

Can’t see how we’d do Houston and Trac without losing two players on $700k or more that would be in the realms of being tradable

I.e.
Cerra, TDK

Or, if we got Petracca and Houston we wouldn’t need Kennedy or Hewett, both on 300-600k you’d think - both would find good homes and get us a 2nd rounder being best 22 inside mid bulls (admittedly neither being A graders)

Have to get creative

Can’t see how we’d do Houston and Trac without losing two players on $700k or more that would be in the realms of being tradable

I.e.
Cerra, TDK

Or, if we got Petracca and Houston we wouldn’t need Kennedy or Hewett, both on 300-600k you’d think - both would find good homes and get us a 2nd rounder being best 22 inside mid bulls (admittedly neither being A graders)

Have to get creative

Last I read Port think Houston is staying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back