Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Two first and a second? I think that should get it done. After much customary posturing and back and fourth from the Dees of course. But after applying the age discount, ‘disgruntled player’ discount, ‘disgruntled playing group if he stays’ discount and ‘recent major injury’ discount, I don’t think it’s an unfair trade.

The question is can Carlton really fit his 5y 1.2m+ contract in the cap without trading one of their 1m+ players (and without brown paper bags)? I always assumed that the reason Carlton’s bottom 6 players on the ground are poorer than most teams’ is because their top liners have taken such a huge chunk of the cap that depth quality has dropped (not many teams with two 1m+ forwards running around and add Cripps, Weitering, Walsh and recent recruits to top it up).
Cerra would be the smokey in all this. Melbourne were into him but didn't have the picks when he left Freo.

The brutal episode left Petracca struggling physically and mentally and he was granted leave by the club to travel with his fiancee Bella to Noosa.

[PLAYERCARD]Christian Petracca[/PLAYERCARD] has opened up about his hospital ordeal and a frightening admission from his fiancee Bella. Pic: Getty

Christian Petracca has opened up about his hospital ordeal and a frightening admission from his fiancee Bella. Pic: Getty
However, Melbourne's players were not initially aware of the extent of Petracca's struggles and questioned why he was absent from the club, causing friction within the playing group. And according to new reports from The Age and SEN, Petracca's presence at the club's end-of-season function on Saturday night caused "tension" and left some Demons players feeling "noticeably uncomfortable".

Cerra would be the smokey in all this. Melbourne were into him but didn't have the picks when he left Freo.

Cerra has a year to run. Dees could offer that plus 4. Good deal for him. Two years younger than Trac.

Blues send him and next year's first (and maybe help J Martin get there too).

Dees send Petracca and next year's second to Blues.

Cerra has a year to run. Dees could offer that plus 4. Good deal for him. Two years younger than Trac.

Blues send him and next year's first (and maybe help J Martin get there too).

Dees send Petracca and next year's second to Blues.
Oh I'm deeply concerned about Cerra's future post injury. Really diminishes his value for mine.

Regardless of his age he is still our best player.

End of the day though if clubs arnt keen then don’t make an offer, simple as that. Happy for him to stay like is of you would be your best players.

Win win either way for us. Bloke is an absolute jet of the comp.

Heard a comment yesterday in the media that there are claims that Trac is high maintenance. Please, if it's true he was awake during surgery anesthesia awareness is traumatic.
Or the procedure was actually interventional radiology where was given sedation without general anaesthetic

I just can't understand what Melbourne did so wrong. What warrants this kind of response? They let him go back after injury which was a mistake but he's the one that made the decision to go back. Sorry but you take some of the blame for that and I believe he took some accountability at the time.

Melbourne granted him leave and the players were reportedly unhappy. Apparently Melbourne didn't communicate that to the playing group but once its clarified, what's there to be so upset at the club at that would make you turn your back on a 7-year deal? Why is Melbourne getting the heat for Petracca's decision?
If the reason was the playing group, then that's understandable, but then to limit it to Carlton and Collingwood and not a contender like Bulldogs who have the means to do a deal is strange.

If he wants to leave because of Goodwin, the playing group or because of Melbourne's form, then say that. But I don't understand why he committed to a smaller Vic club on a lengthy deal and why it's an issue now.

It's just not adding up.
My read was in part telling footy media “we expect he will be back for finals” when the prognosis was more guarded (including the 3 am call of he may not make it)” and poor communication from club to family

The more I think about this, the more I see this ad Melbourne's problem.

Petracca wants out because of club mismanagement ( whether it's the injury scare, or the still unfolding drug debacle).

It's up to Melbourne to bring him back in the fold or get him off the list. I'm not sure they are well enough organised to do either.

If this is a "fragile player hissy fit" as some hint then I guess they can afford to play hardball with him. If the club is broken more players will exit and look to protect themselves and their futures.

Im starting to think it's mostly the latter and Melbourne are in for a very rough off season

100% agreed, things like this should almost entirely be taken out of the clubs' hands (at least if they're not going to manage it correctly).

There's already the independent doctors that can demand players come off for HIA assessments. Seems like a simple fix - just broaden the scope of their responsibilities and power.
Thought the independent ones were there for afl officials and it’s non medical people in the bunker looking for concerning footage to then pass message to club doctors, but I may be incorrect

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure did. Mediation is the first mandatory step. Surprise surprise Essendon woke up and fell on their sword.

Probably due to their utter lack of duty of care and lack of acknowledging responsibility. Sounds eerily similar to this scenario, hmmmm.
Im trying to work out whether you are trolling or you legitimately are dumb enough not to understand the difference between the ryder stuff and this one.

Two first and a second? I think that should get it done. After much customary posturing and back and fourth from the Dees of course. But after applying the age discount, ‘disgruntled player’ discount, ‘disgruntled playing group if he stays’ discount and ‘recent major injury’ discount, I don’t think it’s an unfair trade.

The question is can Carlton really fit his 5y 1.2m+ contract in the cap without trading one of their 1m+ players (and without brown paper bags)? I always assumed that the reason Carlton’s bottom 6 players on the ground are poorer than most teams’ is because their top liners have taken such a huge chunk of the cap that depth quality has dropped (not many teams with two 1m+ forwards running around and add Cripps, Weitering, Walsh and recent recruits to top it up).
As a Carlton fan it would make a heap of sense for us to give up those picks, we will take the 2 Camporeale twins with our 3rd & 4th rounders this year adding Petracca whilst still improving our young list removes the risk.

2025 first is a little trickier because Andy Walkers son is projecting to be a top 5 pick so will prob need to trade back into the first round.

Fitting him in the salary cap is tricky, but some creative accounting or our high profile guys taking a haircut like Hawthorn, Geelong and Brisbane teams have in the past should be able to cover that, and I am sure some of our sponsors like That’s Amore cheese, Barkly Smokehouse, Delverde & Penfolds might be able to help Christians cooking show to smooth over any shortfall😉

Would melbourne want cerra doing a hamstring every 3 weeks?

Would melbourne want cerra doing a hamstring every 3 weeks?
Not interested at all in Cerra tbh. Injury prone and just vanilla. Would rather hit the draft.

I've changed my mind on this as the days have progressed.

If he wants to get out so badly, why is he adamant of 'only playing for a big club'.

Either he desperately wants out or he isn't that desperate.

I hope St.Kilda and North come hard with the best deals possible and force him to be completely honest.

Are Geelong considered a ‘big’ club because I haven’t seen them linked yet?

I still think Sydney Swans are the smoky in the whole scenario. Ollie Florent, Luke Parker and a high draft pick might be enough.

Would you say Petracca was wrong to come out and blame the club when he took it upon himself to go back on the field?

Not exactly. Petracca isn't a Doctor, he can't self diagnose. It's why these people are employed and are there to make those calls. It's like the concussion stuff, heaps of players would just go back on but we have a process to protect them from themselves.

This whole thing is just a massive mess and it's clear the relationship has deteriorated. I'm guessing though it started with Petracca saying he wants out and for a deal to be worked out, Dees refused and then Petracca's team has begun leaking to the media to put the pressure on for the club to change their stance. Only problem is its hurting both parties but I guess Petracca doesn't care because he has his big contract and someone is going to pay it.

Once Petracca concedes a deal with Collingwood or Carlton is impossible, his next best option is a team competing for the flag..

Who says no to a straight swap for Aaron Cadman, 21yo KPF who will be playing second fiddle to Hogan for the foreseeable future and may just want an opportunity to become ‘The Man’

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back