Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Once Petracca concedes a deal with Collingwood or Carlton is impossible, his next best option is a team competing for the flag..

Who says no to a straight swap for Aaron Cadman, 21yo KPF who will be playing second fiddle to Hogan for the foreseeable future and may just want an opportunity to become ‘The Man’
I think GWS say no tbh

I think GWS say no tbh
Agreed on a combination of 2 fronts. Cadman looks like he will be an absurdly good talent, but second GWS traded up to get Cadman because he made it clear he was more willing than their other options to actually come to them. Would be terrible optics to trade him after that.

Last edited:
According to reports, Essendon isn't interested in Petracca and Petracca isn't interested in Essendon. We're certainly the best option for Melbourne to satisfy their demands and he would make us better in the short-term, but what he wants and what we want doesn't mesh well.

If he was 3-4 years younger then absolutely, but we can't be selling our future for a guy that's turning 29 coming from a serious injury knowing that we're not close to a premiership. After the Shiel trade, Essendon know they'll receive serious backlash from fans if they trade for him and it doesn't bring us any success. The nature of his injury is a risk we cannot afford to take.

We really need to be trading out some of our senior players for picks so we can rejuvenate the list, then make a serious play for Harley Reid in the next couple of years to be that marquee player.

If Petracca wants fame, then Essendon makes sense because he only needs to win a final to reach Hird-like status. But he wants a premiership and we likely won't be able to give him that in his career. I don't believe he will make us premiership contenders.
Not a good match like you said. But in a hypothetical situation where he gets to the bombers, he may help you make finals which I'd assume most bombers supporters would be happy with.

Are Geelong considered a ‘big’ club because I haven’t seen them linked yet?

I still think Sydney Swans are the smoky in the whole scenario. Ollie Florent, Luke Parker and a high draft pick might be enough.
Medium-sized club. And no, we wouldn't be on Christian's radar, nor would he be on ours.

2025 first is a little trickier because Andy Walkers son is projecting to be a top 5 pick so will prob need to trade back into the first round.

2026 draft isnt he?

Walker collected 28 disposals, seven inside-50s and two goals in the 22-point triumph over Vic Metro, with scouts noting his strength and athleticism.

Walker is eligible for the 2026 AFL Draft, with both Carlton and Richmond receiving priority access to select the young gun.

https://nit.com.au/20-06-2024/12089/son-of-a-gun-cody-walker-shapes-as-afl-prospect

From where I sit, we can go all in with this years 1st, next years 1st and some creative trading to flip this years second into another first (bundling our 2nd with the picks from Owies and Martin into another late 1st).

Three 1st round picks, albeit picks in the early teens.

Still, considering his age, injury and the context (of a potentially irreparable relationship with Melbourne) it's not the worst offer for them to accept.

Look at the vision! He was literally doubled over for several minutes, screaming in agony, and needed assistance to get off the ground.

They only finally pulled him when it became obvious he couldn't actually contribute out on the field and sent him away for scans.

Or in other words, they prioritized winning over welfare.
If David King can see it from the commentary box, the doctors sure as shit should have been able to.

Even Goodwin's line if there is a crack or break in the rib you have pain relief and go back out.

This is just such a toxic attitude and the AFL encourages it with their stupid interchange limits. There are 44 players on the list, all should be allowed on the bench, with as many interchanges as you like. Stupid to limit it to 4 and a sub.

Boyd for Carlton against Hawthorn had to play out the whole game injured as they already used their Sub and has missed several weeks since. It is an absolute farce.

Mismanaged an injury that could have threatened his life.
Negligence
Also he has teammates dealing cocaine to other teammates. Another teammate go on a full on Charlie Sheen bender. And rumours the coach is well involved in it. Punch ons between players after the grand final. Players rocking up fat to preseason training.

A lot of problems at Melbourne.

Agreed on a combination of 2 fronts. Cadman looks like he will be an absurdly good talent, but second GWS traded up to get going because he made it clear he was more willing than their other options to actually come to them. Would be terrible optics to trade him after that.
Friend is mates with him, he thinks he’ll be a one club player

He’s close with Zak Butters who has helped him navigate playing for an interstate side

I see people suggesting Cerra AND Williams + Picks for Petracca. Crazy.
whats crazy about that?

williams is a pretty meh player i dont even think melbourne would want. worth a third rounder.

cerra has hamstrings made out of tissue paper. his value would be a late first at best given the question marks on his body.

you would definitely need to add serious draft capital on top as the basis of the deal if those two were a part of a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

whats crazy about that?

williams is a pretty meh player i dont even think melbourne would want. worth a third rounder.

cerra has hamstrings made out of tissue paper. his value would be a late first at best given the question marks on his body.

you would definitely need to add serious draft capital on top as the basis of the deal if those two were a part of a trade.

Crazy because I consider it complete unders.

Any deal not involving TDK, McKay, Cripps, Curnow or another big name is going to struggle big time.

Last edited:
Are Geelong considered a ‘big’ club because I haven’t seen them linked yet?

I still think Sydney Swans are the smoky in the whole scenario. Ollie Florent, Luke Parker and a high draft pick might be enough.

Florent signed.
And i doubt petracca wants to move to sydney or geelong.

Im trying to work out whether you are trolling or you legitimately are dumb enough not to understand the difference between the ryder stuff and this one.

Have a crack. Explain the difference, from your eyes.

Agree Essendon seem like the perfect fit. There are reports Trac doesn't want to go there though which I'm a little perplexed by. Seems to fit all his needs.
Why leave a club because it has a toxic culture only to end up at Essendon?

Makes no sense.

I see people suggesting Cerra AND Williams + Picks for Petracca. Crazy.

Given picks could have any conceivable value, I don't see what is crazy about that. Williams is a pretty good player but any trades involving him would be for purely salary related reasons.

Regardless of his age he is still our best player.

End of the day though if clubs arnt keen then don’t make an offer, simple as that. Happy for him to stay like is of you would be your best players.

Win win either way for us. Bloke is an absolute jet of the comp.

Cerra is 25 y.o in a tough spot with his body that he needs to work through. His body holds up 15-20 games per season but needs 2-3 games to get going. He is an absolute must as a defensive mid which we have been missing all year.. in other words hands off and these hypotheticals are borderline insane

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back