Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

But with the current landscape that’s exactly how it works. Players nominate and get to their club of choice. It’s pretty wrong but it’s sadly how it works. There is no bidding war once the player nominates. We all know this. Any talk of a bidding war or sending to club X or club Y if Dees can’t get a sweetheart deal, that’s just not how it works. Players have the power with how it’s all set up. And with extreme circumstances on top, this has backed Melbourne into a corner.
Players still have to pick a club that can get a deal done. This has been said by agents several times. Collingwood can't get a deal, if Carlton can't get a deal done, he'll need to be more open.

Blues should be able to clear the cap space required for a player like him but I think he'd need to take a haircut on the gargantuan contract given Carlton's cap structure under Cook. Cripps apparently on a million and everyone else is below him.

Owies, Martin, Cuningham, Marchbank, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy, Carroll, Motlop

All expendable names for the Blues who collectively would be on a fair bit.

Then you've got the desperation plays in trading Williams or Mcgov etc for pennies as cap dumps to clear space.

But with the current landscape that’s exactly how it works. Players nominate and get to their club of choice. It’s pretty wrong but it’s sadly how it works. There is no bidding war once the player nominates. We all know this. Any talk of a bidding war or sending to club X or club Y if Dees can’t get a sweetheart deal, that’s just not how it works. Players have the power with how it’s all set up. And with extreme circumstances on top, this has backed Melbourne into a corner.

Usually managers would canvas behind the scenes which is a bit of a bidding war in itself as to what clubs can offer before they nominated.

That said Dees are in no corner, they legitimately can do nothing here annd focus on other deals and they win by keeping there best player.

Players still have to pick a club that can get a deal done. This has been said by agents several times. Collingwood can't get a deal, if Carlton can't get a deal done, he'll need to be more open.

Yeah for sure but if he picks Carlton or whichever club he nominates publicly, you can be sure that the discussions between the two clubs and player agent are well underway and will get done. You only nominate once you know it can get done. So if it gets that far.. it will happen.

From Voss' interview this morning it certainly sounds like we're right into it. McRae dismissed similar questions by essentially saying he'd love Trac but they have nothing to trade

I think Cerra goes out. Melbourne seem adamant they arent doing a full rebuild. Decent young player with a 1st is probably as good as they can ask for. Would have to convince Cerra obviously...

Also think Carlton cant get this done without shedding salary so a player of some sort of HAS to go to bring him in.

Last edited:
Usually managers would canvas behind the scenes which is a bit of a bidding war in itself as to what clubs can offer before they nominated.

That said Dees are in no corner, they legitimately can do nothing here annd focus on other deals and they win by keeping there best player.

You don’t keep a player who’s extremely unhappy and has legitimate reasons to move. It would create toxicity keeping a player who doesn’t want to be there and it runs the risk of creating more turmoil amongst the playing group. If it were just slight homesickness that’s something you could work through and clubs have in the past. In that case sure hold him and turn things around. But you factor all the things in.. disgruntled for various reasons, reported issues with other players (could be BS), ageing list, need for a rebuild.. I don’t see how you can keep him without causing issues. I stand by the fact that if he nominates a club, whichever club that is, he will get there as it’s a clear sign he and his manager believe it can get done.

I don’t buy into the ‘Brand Petracca’ stuff. That sounds like a media spin to try to make him look bad and downplay legitimate reasons for wanting to move. Anyways, let’s all chill and see how it unfolds and then we can revisit this next year when a player from another club tries to do the same thing. Then we’ll all see the same arguments come out again.
‘Oh we’ll send him to North because they have currency’.
‘Oh we’ll just hold onto him then’.
That’s all fun and all but we all know the player gets to the nominated club 9 times out of 10.

You don’t keep a player who’s extremely unhappy and has legitimate reasons to move. It would create toxicity keeping a player who doesn’t want to be there and it runs the risk of creating more turmoil amongst the playing group. If it were just slight homesickness that’s something you could work through and clubs have in the past. In that case sure hold him and turn things around. But you factor all the things in.. disgruntled for various reasons, reported issues with other players (could be BS), ageing list, need for a rebuild.. I don’t see how you can keep him without causing issues. I stand by the fact that if he nominates a club, whichever club that is, he will get there as it’s a clear sign he and his manager believe it can get done.

I don’t buy into the ‘Brand Petracca’ stuff. That sounds like a media spin to try to make him look bad and downplay legitimate reasons for wanting to move. Anyways, let’s all chill and see how it unfolds and then we can revisit this next year when a player from another club tries to do the same thing. Then we’ll all see the same arguments come out again.
‘Oh we’ll send him to North because they have currency’.
‘Oh we’ll just hold onto him then’.
That’s all fun and all but we all know the player gets to the nominated club 9 times out of 10.

You do if there is **** all on offer. It can be turned around, has happened before.

I think Cerra goes out. Melbourne seem adamant they arent doing a full rebuild. Decent young player with a 1st is probably as good as they can ask for. Would have to convince Cerra obviously...

Also think Carlton cant get this done without shedding salary so a player of some sort HAS to go to bring him in.
Our midfield already requires some change anyway. Hewett, Cerra and Kennedy are practically the exact same players so I wouldn't be overly surprised to see 2 of them go if Trac comes in.

TDK
Cripps
Tracc
Walsh
Kennedy
EHollands

Pretty scary midfield if they're all fit and firing

Also think Carlton cant get this done without shedding salary so a player of some sort HAS to go to bring him in.

Yep something has to give. There will have to be a player involved and as much as I hate speculating, Cerra does seem like the obvious candidate. Was interested in Melbourne before ending up at Carlton. He’s also in the right age bracket if they do start a rebuild of sorts. That alone won’t be enough to free cap space. Suspect we would move on/delist quite a few on modest contracts like Marchbank, Cuningham, Martin etc. and replace them through the draft with base wages. Interesting to see how it plays out. Definitely won’t be a complete shafting of a trade. We’ve shown to be fair (even paid slight overs IMO) with Austin as list manager. I’m also worried it may hamper our ability next year to retain TDK and other players so yeah, interesting times.

You do if there is **** all on offer. It can be turned around, has happened before.

Yep but I can’t recall a time with such public spilling of grievances. It’s usually homesick, has a young kid and wants the support etc. Only Melbourne, Petracca, and his manager know if it’s truly viable for him to stay without creating more friction. You may end up right. Time will tell. It also wouldn’t be a nothing deal if he nominates a club and you know this. It would be quite substantial even if it’s not completely palatable to Dees supporters.

From Voss' interview this morning it certainly sounds like we're right into it. McRae dismissed similar questions by essentially saying he'd love Trac but they have nothing to trade

Especially with Houston staying at Port, Carlton definitely have their sights set on Petracca now. Draft picks are not tying them down, though I don't know where they'll get either a third draft pick or a player that'll satisfy Melbourne. A 3rd team would probably need to get involved.

I think he would have gone to Collingwood if everything was equal, but because Collingwood don't have a first and since the relationship with Melbourne seems untenable, I think Carlton are favourites to land him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just remember who told you first about Trac and Carlton. First to report it.
Scientifically proven.

Goodfellas GIF

Have to laugh at the people suggesting Cerra and a mid to late first get this done. The same Cerra that blows his hammies out every time he tries to accelerate and who is otherwise a solid B grade mid?

Petracca is the top 1%.

Viney to North is a when not if.
He will be gone in 12 months.

Im ahead of the journos. Its like i have them on strings. Jeez im good. You hear bomba from me before the pretend journos tell you.
You also said Barrass was absolutely working his way to a new deal at the Eagles with Bailey Smith really Hawthorn's #1 target

You also said Barrass was absolutely working his way to a new deal at the Eagles with Bailey Smith really Hawthorn's #1 target

I never said Baz was hawks number 1 target so that's fake news. I said Baz wants Hawks which is true. I also said the Hawks did have interest in Barrass. I thought he was more of a chance to stay, he still might end up staying. That deal is far from done, tho Hawks could maybe get both Barrass and Smith done - unlikely but possibly. So report the truth please.

My reputation hinges on Trac and Baz. Now that you all know about Trac to Carlton start paying me my flowers, i promised my mother a new set of roses. Baz stuff will come out soon enough.

I'm 1/2 and will be 2/2 soon. Scientifically proven. Cheers, I'll be enjoying a tommahawk steak with some Dom Perignon tonight. You hear things from me before journos.

Also think Carlton cant get this done without shedding salary so a player of some sort of HAS to go to bring him in.
The problem with this is how are you going to convince a player to move there given how desperate Petracca is to leave?

Melbourne have ****ed this up so badly, and realistically they ****ed this up in 2023 with their management of the Oliver situation and with the lack of accountability that Goodwin faced.

Have to laugh at the people suggesting Cerra and a mid to late first get this done. The same Cerra that blows his hammies out every time he tries to accelerate and who is otherwise a solid B grade mid?

Petracca is the top 1%.
His better games in the past I'd argue he looked borderline A grade, but yes this year especially he's been injury ravaged and nowhere near it. Question is whether that can be turned around. Our team has a whole has had injury problems to the point where it's getting blurry as to who's truly injury prone or just mismanaged by high performance (eg. outgoing Andrew Russell). Either way this season hasn't helped Adam's value much.

His better games in the past I'd argue he looked borderline A grade, but yes this year especially he's been injury ravaged and nowhere near it. Question is whether that can be turned around. Our team has a whole has had injury problems to the point where it's getting blurry as to who's truly injury prone or just mismanaged by high performance (eg. outgoing Andrew Russell). Either way this season hasn't helped Adam's value much.

That’s the problem with trading for someone like Petracca. Whether Cerras current trade value is so diminished it’s not worth selling at the bottom.

I’d consider him closer to steak knives in a deal than part of the prime rib of it.

Yep but I can’t recall a time with such public spilling of grievances. It’s usually homesick, has a young kid and wants the support etc. Only Melbourne, Petracca, and his manager know if it’s truly viable for him to stay without creating more friction. You may end up right. Time will tell. It also wouldn’t be a nothing deal if he nominates a club and you know this. It would be quite substantial even if it’s not completely palatable to Dees supporters.
It's been like the airing of grievances at Festivus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back