Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not an A grader, but nowhere near as bad as some are making out in this thread.

He’s an excellent footballer. Just had a horrid year with injuries.
Semantics perhaps, but not sure I'd go as far as 'excellent', injuries aside. He seems like a player who is OK to good in a lot of categories. Accumulates, but isn't in the top tier in that regard. Not the slowest player, but not overly quick. Is a 'neat' enough kick, but not particularly damaging and still turns it over a bit. Defensive work is just OK, doesn't really hit the scoreboard, and doesn't have much positional versatility.

Not by any stretch am I saying he's a bad player, but he's just a bit...vanilla? (For lack of a better word). Personally, if he had to be moved on by Carlton to accommodate Petracca, I'd probably rather him re-routed to a third team for some extra draft capital. We won't be competing for at least a few years, and I'd rather us invest in some kids that bring a point of difference, whether that be strong kicking, speed, ability to play multiple roles, or similar (intact hamstrings a bonus).

The only offer carlton is giving is 1st + future 1st and maybe a fringe player like carrol which doesn't get it done

To get Petracca Carlton will lose one of their good players for sure... Melbourne won't accept pretty much 2 late firsts.. It will cost you; SDK, Walsh or Curnow.. Carlton couldn't have the cap to take on Petracca's contract, while keeping all their top players..

Semantics perhaps, but not sure I'd go as far as 'excellent', injuries aside. He seems like a player who is OK to good in a lot of categories. Accumulates, but isn't in the top tier in that regard. Not the slowest player, but not overly quick. Is a 'neat' enough kick, but not particularly damaging and still turns it over a bit. Defensive work is just OK, doesn't really hit the scoreboard, and doesn't have much positional versatility.

Not by any stretch am I saying he's a bad player, but he's just a bit...vanilla? (For lack of a better word). Personally, if he had to be moved on by Carlton to accommodate Petracca, I'd probably rather him re-routed to a third team for some extra draft capital. We won't be competing for at least a few years, and I'd rather us invest in some kids that bring a point of difference, whether that be strong kicking, speed, ability to play multiple roles, or similar (intact hamstrings a bonus).

He was excellent last season. Not close to it this year but I'm putting it down to injuries and I'm keen to see him fully fit.

Re: grading, it is semantics. I don't think you need to be more than OK to good in multiple categories to be an excellent footballer. I think we could name many who fit into that category.

To get Petracca Carlton will lose one of their good players for sure... Melbourne won't accept pretty much 2 late firsts.. It will cost you; SDK, Walsh or Curnow.. Carlton couldn't have the cap to take on Petracca's contract, while keeping all their top players..

I am very prepared to lose SDK to gain Petracca.

They are all on chips and were all planned on being let go anyway. Petracca is unplanned for new money and between 1.2m and 1.7m a year. I reckon someone goes, same way I expect us to lose someone for the Pickett/Bolton dream
martin was 700k ish, marchbank would have been 500k when he signed this contract, yea they planned for them to go but that cap space would have been allocated to getting someone in suddenly you only need to find 500k which isnt so hard to do with some shuffling.

won't happen anyways so doesn't matter

its not worth losing any of those to get him in and none would be willing to go to melbourne atm anyway.

martin was 700k ish, marchbank would have been 500k when he signed this contract, yea they planned for them to go but that cap space would have been allocated to getting someone in suddenly you only need to find 500k which isnt so hard to do with some shuffling.

won't happen anyways so doesn't matter
Martin is down to 335k this year, Marchy would be close to the minimum on his 1 year deal

Think that despite what is being thrown around, his age, injury, horrendous contract (1.3-1.7M to 35?) significantly devalues him. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him eventually move for a single first round pick to whatever club can squeeze in his enormous contract.

Melbourne have now burnt all bridges and can’t believably threaten to retain him.

They certain can retain him.

I think he probably goes. But there’s a definite chance he stays. Ext year you can trade 2 years into the future and it’s possibly that rule not coming in earlier that could stop a trade. Reality is is a club needs to cough up a deal. Melbourne won’t just accept 2 x late firsts.

What if Petracca liked his stay up in QLD as Noosa and with all the rigmarole that happened with his injury, etc... trade to Lions for Joe Daniher and Cam Raynor plus pick 14 for Petracca and picks 38, 45 & 51 for Lions father-son.

Melbourne now have a key forward and Raynor. Lions have Petracca another mid/fwd.

Highly doubt Lions need Petracca though.

This is tricky for Melbourne.. Petracca camp putting all the heat on Melbourne to agree to a trade but there's no way a club is coughing up what he's actually worth (2 x Top 10 picks + talented young player)..

so what do Melbourne do next.. probably leave it with Trac's manager to work behind the scenes to find a club that can make a deal happen that half satisfies Melbourne.. history would say this will happen very late in trade period and Melbourne won't be thrilled with the deal but likely walk away with 3 pretty good assets into the future (e.g. 1st round pick, another 1st round pick/ highly talented 19-21yo + best 22 player).

The public message will be "he won't be traded" but if Trac's management hold their ground privately (Connors is a master at this) i think Melbourne will be backed into a corner where they're forced to agree to trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a publicised troll I suspect just to piss off Garry Lyon. He must be fuming at that.

Still think Carlton and Tom De Koning/Owies + a few picks would be the key here. No one else would have a chance in hell
TBH reckon Garry Lyon would laugh at he article.
But I d think if he gets somewhere it’s Carlton. Once they’re out of finals we might some something. Still thinking McKay is in play.

That article was atrocious. Didn’t even get near a deal that could be done 😂

I liked the part where he wrote that Curnow amd McKay were off the table, so... Jack Silvagni?

How are Melbourne fans feeling about a 26yo fringe undersized ruck coming off a knee injury?

If Carlton are in play (and lots of signs point to this) I suspect Adam Cerra might be involved. Is he a superstar? No... but he is a good quality 24yo midfielder who can play on the inside or outside and Melbourne are actually pretty thin now in the midfield - Petracca looks to be going, Brayshaw is (unexpectedly) gone, Viney is the wrong side of 30 (and has taken a lot of hits) and who knows what Clayton Oliver brings going forward. Cerra is JUST enough of a name for Melbourne to save a little but of face and is the sort of guy you are happy to have in the team, at least when fit.

Cerra plus Carlton's picks this year ('top 10 in a good draft') and next year...

Not saying it is perfect but I think that is the path IF Carlton is the destination.

Could Newman or Saad be an option also? Dees were into Houston so a good half back flank might help a deal.

Maybe, but I can't see it being a multi-player trade from Carlton's end. Both are over 30 and I don't like the fit at Melbourne as much... Newman strikes me as a journeyman who has found his spot in a consistent role, but not sure i would expect him to be as good anywhere else. Saad has hit the age where he is slowing up... still has moments, but isn't AA Saad anymore.

If Melbourne want the hbf i'd take picks from Carlton early in trade period and go shopping elsewhere (ie back to Houston/Port).

I find it equal parts unbelievable and hilarious that some from the Melbourne camp are trying to spin this as being somehow Petracca’s fault.

I guess they must know he’s already gone and are trying to save some face by going on the attack.

Stupid PR strategy whatever the thinking. Petracca far too well liked for this to do anything other than hurt Melbourne more.

May daughter doesn’t like any non Richmond players “except for Petracca because it is really cute the way he cooks with his Nona”.

Melbourne’s culture so broken they’re about to turn their biggest PR asset into a PR bin fire.

What if a player like Finn Callaghan wanted to leave.
A trade would be Callaghan,15 for Petracca, 5.
I think the issue with all of these hypothetical trades involving players will be convincing anyone to go to Melbourne. They’re giving off serious dumpster fire vibes at the moment. Even Houston back-pedalled once he caught a whiff.

I think the issue with all of these hypothetical trades involving players will be convincing anyone to go to Melbourne. They’re giving off serious dumpster fire vibes at the moment. Even Houston back-pedalled once he caught a whiff.

To be fair Houston also backpedaled from Carlton, North and Bulldogs also.

Bloke was probably just trying to get a pay day.

I find it equal parts unbelievable and hilarious that some from the Melbourne camp are trying to spin this as being somehow Petracca’s fault.

I guess they must know he’s already gone and are trying to save some face by going on the attack.

Stupid PR strategy whatever the thinking. Petracca far too well liked for this to do anything other than hurt Melbourne more.

May daughter doesn’t like any non Richmond players “except for Petracca because it is really cute the way he cooks with his Nona”.

Melbourne’s culture so broken they’re about to turn their biggest PR asset into a PR bin fire.

100% agree with you there.

It's baffling why Melbourne are doing it. Someone in PR is getting paid very handsomely from Demons camp out of it.

You’ve all forgotten that Tracs relationship is FINISHED with Melbourne. Like a broken marriage. OVER.

They Melbourne, cheated on Trac in his eyes, festered an inappropriate environment and the final nail was neglecting him medically. The doctors and physios who OK’d that decision should lose their AHPRA registration IMO. Was disgraceful.

There is no mending. Trac will take the Ryder avenue if he has to. People saying how will his move to Carlton happen. It will happen don’t worry about it. Brian of formerly Geelong is putting the chess pieces together. Carlton hold all the cards here, the player is desperate to get to them. His agreed terms with them already. They’ve met many times already. I deal in facts only. That’s what has happened.

Who told you this first. Not any media sources. Celebrity 101. I’m heritage. I am scientifically proven.
monty-python-holy-grail.gif

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back