Chromecast Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the Chromecast.

I've streamed web-pages from the family laptop onto the TV, which means that when one of my children is doing homework online, we can keep an eye on what is happening.

The Chromecast app on the Nexus integrated with Youtube works very well. I've managed to stream replays from the AFL website onto the TV using Chromecast.

For the price it's being sold, it's a great piece of hardware, which should only improve as more apps take advantage of it.

For those with a subscription to the Australian Financial Review, Peter Moon has written a couple of articles demonstrating how you can take advantage of Chromecast in a number of ways, including hooking up an old stereo system to a home theatre, using Plex.

Love the Chromecast.

I've streamed web-pages from the family laptop onto the TV, which means that when one of my children is doing homework online, we can keep an eye on what is happening.

The Chromecast app on the Nexus integrated with Youtube works very well. I've managed to stream replays from the AFL website onto the TV using Chromecast.

For the price it's being sold, it's a great piece of hardware, which should only improve as more apps take advantage of it.

For those with a subscription to the Australian Financial Review, Peter Moon has written a couple of articles demonstrating how you can take advantage of Chromecast in a number of ways, including hooking up an old stereo system to a home theatre, using Plex.

Is the Nexus used as separate app that mirrors whats on your laptop/tablet?

Love the Chromecast.

Was that via screen mirroring or another way?

My two android deviced do not have kit kat yet so no mirroring :-(. Still deciding if I could be bothered rooting them.

Was that via screen mirroring or another way?

My two android deviced do not have kit kat yet so no mirroring :-(. Still deciding if I could be bothered rooting them.
I looked up Chromecast mirror apps and they were only available on a dozen or so devices. Unfortunately for me samsung galaxy s 10.5 isnt one.

including hooking up an old stereo system to a home theatre, using Plex.

Got a Roku box (which essentially does the same thing) but Plex on Chromecast for people that have a dedicated unit to play back media, but if you have more than 1 TV. Handy for when I wanna watch something from Plex and the missus wants to watch something else.

I went from a Raspberry Pi running XBMC to a Chromecast running plex, Chromecast easily better for streaming local content (imo). Sign up to Amazon and you can usually grab the Plex app on special for free.

Thought I'd post in here rather than post a new thread just about Roku.

I'm after a device to allow me to stream either content from my PC and/or external HDD to another monitor in a different room. However, I still want to be able to flick between stuff such as Netflix etc which I've seen Roku has. Then I also see this 'plex' thing, is that just an app on Roku that will let me access content on my PC?

Hopefully someone can help me out - thanks fellas

Can't comment on Roku as I've never used one. But Plex works very well on a chromecast. Netflix can also be used via the chromecast (needs some settings changed in the modem I believe, so I don't think it works via ISP modems).
Getting back to Plex though it's quite simple to set up. Need to install the plex media server on your pc and set up the libraries. Plex can then download movie covers, info, etc so it all looks nice. Again not having a Roku I can't comment on how it goes through it, but on chromecast I use my mobile or tablet to select what I want to watch via the app on either of those.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Can't comment on Roku as I've never used one. But Plex works very well on a chromecast. Netflix can also be used via the chromecast (needs some settings changed in the modem I believe, so I don't think it works via ISP modems).
Getting back to Plex though it's quite simple to set up. Need to install the plex media server on your pc and set up the libraries. Plex can then download movie covers, info, etc so it all looks nice. Again not having a Roku I can't comment on how it goes through it, but on chromecast I use my mobile or tablet to select what I want to watch via the app on either of those.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Appreciate the reply. Do you know what the deal is with what files can be streamed? A lot of my files are .avi, and apparently they don't work on Roku and I can't find anything about it on Chromecast :/

Appreciate the reply. Do you know what the deal is with what files can be streamed? A lot of my files are .avi, and apparently they don't work on Roku and I can't find anything about it on Chromecast :/
Files I've got on my pc that work are avi, mpg and mkv. Plex does the transcoding for the chromecast. Should be the same with the Roku.

I went and bought a a chromecast 2 the other day, However, the screen mirroring for non supported apps only work for anroid devices and i broke my galaxsy s5 last month and currently have brick. Is there a way for me to screen the games from ipad (AFL Live) to chromecast?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went and bought a a chromecast 2 the other day, However, the screen mirroring for non supported apps only work for anroid devices and i broke my galaxsy s5 last month and currently have brick. Is there a way for me to screen the games from ipad (AFL Live) to chromecast?

I'd be surprised if Apple would allow that to work. They would want you to have purchased the Apple TV lol.

Whats your current phone now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Chromecast Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back