Cider Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Beer gets it's own thread, so why not cider?

Any other Cider drinkers? when its the winter i usually hit the dark beers, but when summer comes along there is nothing better then pounding a few nice ciders,

Mercury Draught/Magners is where its at people:thumbsu: Dont mind the Little Creatures one either

Yeah, no harm in the odd cider here and there. Nice and refreshing in summer when you feel like something different. And it's made from apples so it's gotta be good for you:D

Three Oaks (but not the sweet stuff) isn't bad, it's often on special at Liquorland, and yeah, the Pipsqueak goes alright too. And for those days when 330ml isn't enough, Bulmers & Magners do the trick:thumbsu:

Ciders are a great way to steady a huge drinking session too. 8 beers followed by a couple of ciders is a great way to continue on with the beers if you are getting bloated etc.

Plus a TERRIFFIC hangover cure. If you have drank anything but cider the night before then bacon, eggs and cider will fix you right up the next morning.

Cider is my poison of choice but generally it's hard to find a good one here in Australia.

Usually I'll settle for Bulmers on tap and that will keep me happy enough.

I just wish you could find a good scrumpy in this country, something thick enough that there's almost bits in it. Everything that you get in the bottle shops or pubs is usually the same watered down stuff (I'm lookin' at you Strongbow), and now you get idiots behind the bar trying to put ice in your pint as well. FFS! Should be feckin' shot the lot of 'em.

That said, even the watered down stuff still beats most other drinks so I'll still be at the bar with my bottle of Strongbow (if that's all they've got, which is usually the case).

Beer gets it's own thread, so why not cider?

Any other Cider drinkers? when its the winter i usually hit the dark beers, but when summer comes along there is nothing better then pounding a few nice ciders,

Mercury Draught/Magners is where its at people:thumbsu: Dont mind the Little Creatures one either

What?! Little Creatures make cider? *faps* Do you know if it's available outside Perth? I'm a big Magners fan as well, in fact I'm going to get some tomorrow. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What?! Little Creatures make cider? *faps* Do you know if it's available outside Perth? I'm a big Magners fan as well, in fact I'm going to get some tomorrow. :D
Im not sure if Pipsqueak is avalable out of perth, but it isnt bad, fairly light, tastes like your typical british cider, bit tangy

I think they have a little creatures restraunt or something of the likes in Melbourne

Been hittin the strongbows the last couple of weeks, so refreshing after a hard days slog.

went as far as buying 12 longnecks of strongbow sweet.

and i drink them as if they were juice, even for breakfast.

Will def try all ones mentioned in this thread over summer.

The sounds of one with chunks floating in it sounds a ripper, whats one available that has this?

I'm a cider appreciator from way back. I used to drink it cos they had cheap cartons at my local bottle-o and it's handy now cause I can ctually go halves in a carton with my GF cos she doesn't drink beer (handy if we're on holidays).
I enjoy mercury cause it's actually 375ml and strongbow is 335/340 - better value for money.

I would recommend mercury's "Artisan" to anyone who hasn't tried it. Boutique (14ish a 4pk) but quite tasty.:thumbsu:

I'm a cider appreciator from way back. I used to drink it cos they had cheap cartons at my local bottle-o and it's handy now cause I can ctually go halves in a carton with my GF cos she doesn't drink beer (handy if we're on holidays).
I enjoy mercury cause it's actually 375ml and strongbow is 335/340 - better value for money.

I would recommend mercury's "Artisan" to anyone who hasn't tried it. Boutique (14ish a 4pk) but quite tasty.:thumbsu:

lol at $3.50 a pop that's some top shelf liquor you got there Krusden. :D:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Just had a Coldstream Cider (from Coldstream Brewery) - this one's a creeper at 7% and on a hot day a few of these will beat you senseless. $3.50 a stubby @ Yarraville Cellars, although I'm sure it'd be easier to find out east.

Pipsqueak Cider is a fresh and tangy drop.
In fact, I am enjoying one right now! :thumbsu:

Usually a beer man (Cooper's, Becks), I could easily convert to this stuff...goes down clean and easy!

cracked my homebrew cider out tonight. tastes much better than i expected. bit tangy straight out of the bottle so dropped a teaspoon of sugar into it for some balance. very nice drop. hopefully keeps the missus happy.

i think bigfooty needs a homebrew thread which i will start now....

I just wish you could find a good scrumpy in this country, something thick enough that there's almost bits in it.

Thorogoods Cider is the one you want.
Brewed in Burra, South Australia...its a cracker...and a TRUE scrumpy.

Get on it champ.

outlets are minimal however...

South Australia
Cellar Door (Burra) - see Contact page for directions and times
Melbourne Street Cellars Noth Adelaide
Belair Fine Wines (Sparkling Scrumpy)
Stone Hut Bakery and accomodation (Lower Flinders Ranges)
Malions Bush Café (Near Morgan, River Murray)
Remarkable View Wines Lower Flinders Ranges.
ON TAP at the Burra Hotel***************

Sydney NSW

Platinum wines 25a Bellvue Rd Bellvue Hill
Platium wines 169 Concord Rd Nth Stratfield

Victoria
Cloudwine Cellars 317 Clarendon St South Melbourne
Cloudwine Cellars 766 Burke St Camberwell
Prince Wines & Spirits 261 Clarendon St South Malbourne (Sparkling Scrumpy)

Queensland
Grand Central Hotel, Brisbane (Billy B's Golden)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cider Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back